Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

distilled water
RE: distilled water
brianwood619
"I cant submerge it because it is a heated hose."

I find it odd that you can't submerge a heated hose. I have almost the same equipment and have been submerging mine for 3+ years with no issues. Just make absolutely sure is completely dry, especially the electrical contacts.

I've used every type of water, tap - distilled - bottled. I use bottled. No lime build up. I'm very skeptical about all the stuff that has been said about tap water and some brain eating parasites... The difference between drinking and breathing is... still enters your body!!!

As for cleaning my equipment... when I get around to it. All I do is wipe out the mask every night with wipes and away I go.
How To Get The Perfect Mask Fit

How important is Quality Sleep to your heart

What The Mind Can Conceive and Believe - The Body Will Achieve

Positive Attitude = Positive Results / Negative Attitude = Negative Results
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 12:46 PM)jeffy1958 Wrote: brianwood619
"I cant submerge it because it is a heated hose."

I find it odd that you can't submerge a heated hose. I have almost the same equipment and have been submerging mine for 3+ years with no issues. Just make absolutely sure is completely dry, especially the electrical contacts.

I've used every type of water, tap - distilled - bottled. I use bottled. No lime build up. I'm very skeptical about all the stuff that has been said about tap water and some brain eating parasites... The difference between drinking and breathing is... still enters your body!!!

As for cleaning my equipment... when I get around to it. All I do is wipe out the mask every night with wipes and away I go.

Ever get a tiny piece of food into "the wrong pipe?" Bother you any?

THAT is the difference. The mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach have strong acids and enzymes that are designed to deal with pretty much what gets put into them, breaking down the things entering into primary compounds utilized by the blood stream as sugars, acids (fats), and proteins. No such mechanism in the lungs. All that is there are white blood cells that can work to eradicate unwanted items.

I'll stick with distilled water as much as possible!
Post Reply Post Reply
How one cares for ones equipment is ones own decision and there is a lot of variation in how people care for their equipment and some of it is forced on people by what is available to them.

There are, however, certain facts that need to be kept in mind and from there folks can make up their own mind. First is the fact that viruses, and bacteria, and single cell organisms have partial pressures low enough that they will not evaporate at any temperature that people can stand to be around. Second is the fact that these bad actors are too large to be carried along with a molecule of water as it leaves the surface to get entrained into the air flow. Now I would not want to let a bunch of bad stuff accumulate over long periods of time in my humidifier just because I would not like it.

And I too will stick with my distilled water.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I just want to point out that my local sleep lab, boils the water then sticks it in the fridge. This is for the humidifier water in their cpap machines when I went for my second sleep study...

I thought it strange. They probably don't want to be bothered hauling huge bottles of distilled water everyday...lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 05:46 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: I jsut want to point out that my local sleep lab, boils the water then sticks it int he fridge for awhile for the humidifier water in their cpap machines when I went for my second sleep study...

I thought it strange. They probably don't want to be bothered hauling huge bottles of distilled water everyday...lol
I boil tap water too. I suppose if you happen to live in the outbacks where the water probably infested with crocodiles or some remote area than distilled water is a must but then where do find buy distilled water in the outbacks or some remote area ... no Costco or Walmart there Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 06:10 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 05:46 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: I jsut want to point out that my local sleep lab, boils the water then sticks it int he fridge for awhile for the humidifier water in their cpap machines when I went for my second sleep study...

I boil tap water too. I suppose if you happen to live in the outbacks where the water probably infested with crocodiles or some remote area than distilled water is a must but then where do find buy distilled water in the outbacks or some remote area ... no Costco or Walmart there Coffee

Well my logic was that distilled water is because you don't want mineral build up in the machine over time. Which tap water and spring water would do.

But, I guess it's logical you can boil the minerals out of the water and use that. I might give it a try, good enough for a professional sleep lab good enough for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 06:16 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 06:10 PM)zonk Wrote:

Well my logic was that distilled water is because you don't want mineral build up in the machine over time. Which tap water and spring water would do.

But, I guess it's logical you can boil the minerals out of the water and use that. I might give it a try, good enough for a professional sleep lab good enough for me?

You can't really boil the minerals out of water. You can boil water out of the minerals though. But if you boil the water, you can kill any organisms that might be lurking about. Just let it cool off before you use it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 06:19 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 06:16 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 06:10 PM)zonk Wrote: I boil tap water too. I suppose if you happen to live in the outbacks where the water probably infested with crocodiles or some remote area than distilled water is a must but then where do find buy distilled water in the outbacks or some remote area ... no Costco or Walmart there Coffee

You can't really boil the minerals out of water. You can boil water out of the minerals though. But if you boil the water, you can kill any organisms that might be lurking about. Just let it cool off before you use it.

Yep you're right, I just googled it and read a couple articles, can't boil out minerals, just germs, etc.... So I guess my sleep lab doesn't worry about mineral build up? They had some old S8 machines that were working well, so I guess it's good enough just to boil the water? Depending on your local water quality of course.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 05:46 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: I jsut want to point out that my local sleep lab, boils the water then sticks it int he fridge

Boiling kills the germs. Refrigeration keeps them from growing back.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2014, 06:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 05:46 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: I jsut want to point out that my local sleep lab, boils the water then sticks it int he fridge

Boiling kills the germs. Refrigeration keeps them from growing back.

Yikes, sorry for my bad typing. So I am thinking of switching to this method instead of buying distilled water. Good idea?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.