Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

do I really have apnea???
RE: do I really have apnea???
Thank you so much everybody for your warm welcome and quick replies.

I will give OSA therapy my best try over the course of the next six weeks. Like it has been said the real question is 'do you feel better?' Someone else said my low O2 numbers by themselves warrant the therapy.

Yes I have been insomniac since my teen years and I'm not young anymore. Insomnia for me is a multi-faceted beast (physical and psychological illness). It has been tackled from all angles possible over the years and it has become debilitating this spring. It'll be interesting to see what effect OSA therapy has on all of this.

I have downloaded Sleepyhead like you suggested.

I do have the sleep study report which shows the numbers I mentioned. In the past I had two other sleep studies done (in hospital) which did not detect OSA. I guess growing old does this to you.

The provider I leased the machine from are asking way more than I can get it on internet. They say they provide support with the purchase.

Thank you again for your support, comments and suggestions
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Easy to prove. Use Sleepyhead to see the minimum pressure your machine reaches during the course of about 7 nights. So let's say your 95% is 9 and your median is 7. Set your machine to straight CPAP 6 and sleep with it for 2 nights. Check the data. My bet is the events increase and you feel like crap on a stick. It will prove to you that you are being treated, not conned. Or it could prove the opposite but I doubt it.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2016, 01:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Easy to prove. Use Sleepyhead to see the minimum pressure your machine reaches during the course of about 7 nights. So let's say your 95% is 9 and your median is 7. Set your machine to straight CPAP 6 and sleep with it for 2 nights. Check the data. My bet is the events increase and you feel like crap on a stick. It will prove to you that you are being treated, not conned. Or it could prove the opposite but I doubt it.

I did try the machine for 7 nights with a 95% of around 11. Lowered the max pressure to 9 with a resulting AHI 1. Second night at max pressure of 7 with resulting AHI 1.5. Third night at pressure 4 with AHI of 1.7. I haven't had more or less sleep than the first week and I am feeling the same.

It's either I return the machine (on lease, 2 wks remaining) or I try it out for another week at max pressure around 12.

Either way I'll and lose a few pounds (I have gained 10 since Xmas) since I possibly don't have OSA or it's a very mild one.

What do you think? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel I can relate to your numbers and insomnia. Small changes have improved my sleep quality 1000%. However, I am not there yet. I got 4 hours of "normal" sleep last night for the first time in years and my AHI was 2.1. CAs going down, HAs going up, and OSAs gone completely.

Sleep quality going up, AHI under 5, feeling better during the day, and happy dreams. Who could ask for more.

There does seem to be a trade off between sleep quality and AHI. As long as I sleep good I will not complain about my AHI being around 2. I had a couple of nights at 0 but not sleep the best. I do not think it is my AHI keeping me awake but some other cause. Pressure, pressure changes, hose on face, flow limits, allergies, or something else but I plan to find out. Until I do, the hose in the face stays.

This is a strange journey we are on and I refuse to let it get the best of me.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2016, 01:15 PM)insomniac999 Wrote: The provider I leased the machine from are asking way more than I can get it on internet. They say they provide support with the purchase.

I'm also completing a trial with the same machine as you. See http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-need-CPAP.

Like you, my provider charges a fortune to purchase the machine and provide support. Now that I know how to access the clinician's mode and enter the correct pressure range, I'm not dependent on the provider to provide "support". I've been quoted $AU2,500 for the ResMed. If I purchase from a site such as SecondWind, I can get a secondhand unit for close to $AU1,100 (including my preferred Philips DreamWear nasal pillow mask and postage, and I don't require a prescription). Ironically, ResMed manufactures the machines in Australia, but I have to purchase them from the US to get them at a fair price.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,403 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,586 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,853 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,897 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.