Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

do overnight oximetry test results warrant cpap?
do overnight oximetry test results warrant cpap?
Hi!

I did a home overnight oximetry study (just with pulse oximeter, no cannula or belt). Dr said i don't need a CPAP machine bc my o2 levels did not go under 90% o2 (other than 2seconds at 84% one night). My oxygen desaturation event index  (of events lasting over 0 seconds per hour) was 2.0 for 4% desaturation and 11.7 for 3% desaturation. in total i had 32 desaturation events of 4% drop and 107 events of 3% drop.

Based on this data do you think i need a CPAP?

In any case my situation has deteriorated so maybe will redo the test. I am unable to do in lab sleep study or home  ones with belt/cannula due to other health issues (very weak, wear lots of clothes layers to bed bc feel cold, sensitive etc).

I have hard time falling asleep due to feeling not enough air. I have been wearing night guards for bruxism which have helped but now no longer as much help. I ground down my teeth a lot over past years causing collapsed jaw space so guards help open it up.  I also sleep with breathe right strips which help a lot due to nose not letting in much air (ent said it looks good though). I need mouth to be open to fall asleep usually. Is it unusual for people with apnea to have hard time falling asleep bc of feeling not enough air? i think in apnea most issues happen during sleep? 

Thanks for reading and helping. Really nice to find this forum and read the posts!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: do overnight oximetry test results warrant cpap?
I also wanted to add that the desaturation event index (for events at least or over 10 seconds per hour) was 1.7 for 4% desaturations and 9.0 for 3% desaturations.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RL87,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you seen a pulmonologist? Perhaps there is some other lung issue happening.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
i have not seen a pulmonologist, but lungs feel ok i think. feels more like airway issue at nose/throat area to me. thanks for the tip though Smile

Thank You trish6hundred!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RL87, it sure sounds like you'd benefit from CPAP, but you're going to be on your own financially without support from the doctor. Pulse oximetry is a screening tool for apnea, but it is not definitive as to whether you have sleep disordered breathing. I know my sleep without positive pressure is pretty miserable. You can get CPAP without prescriptions, especially if you have a US delivery address you can use. Dreamstation Auto CPAP units with humidifiers are available on U.S. Amazon for $435 and a Airfit P10 mask for $65. I think international delivery is problematic.

The decision whether you should have a sleep study to determine a need for CPAP should be based on your fatigue and sleepiness as well as the symptoms you have described in your post. It's good that you have had good oximetry results, but again, it is not conclusive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 01:28 PM)RL87 Wrote: In any case my situation has deteriorated so maybe will redo the test. I am unable to do in lab sleep study or home  ones with belt/cannula due to other health issues (very weak, wear lots of clothes layers to bed bc feel cold, sensitive etc).

Then wear the belt under the clothes. Or make some exception for one night.

Quote:I have hard time falling asleep due to feeling not enough air. I have been wearing night guards for bruxism which have helped but now no longer as much help. I ground down my teeth a lot over past years causing collapsed jaw space so guards help open it up.  I also sleep with breathe right strips which help a lot due to nose not letting in much air (ent said it looks good though). I need mouth to be open to fall asleep usually. Is it unusual for people with apnea to have hard time falling asleep bc of feeling not enough air? i think in apnea most issues happen during sleep? 

Feeling like you are not getting enough as you fall asleep is, in my opinion, atypical. If your mouth is open as you sleep, apnea event or not, it is getting very dry and that can give a feeling of "stickiness" which can feel like not enough air flow. Everything is sticking together instead of being able to move as needed.

Given your complicated medical history and obvious other issues, I don't suggest you do this without consulting a pulmonologist or, better yet, an ENT. While you are sat O2 rate seems fine (90-92% or higher during sleep is normal for most adults), something is going on to keep you from falling asleep.

Another thing to consider is all the modifications you have made just to be able to fall asleep. It is possible one or more isn't quite right or is interfering with something else. It could also be why your sat O2 was still within normal ranges.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did not know if I needed cpap. I knew something was wrong. I picked up a used cpap at the flea market for $10. I had no idea how to adjust it so I turned it on and went to sleep. I felt better the first time I used it. Got a home sleep study without my $10 cpap on. My wife watched me all night (good life insurance).

I have better equipment now and with the help of this forum feel much better.

Sometimes you just have to try it for yourself.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the info sleeprider! Smile thanks a lot for telling me that my 02 levels seem normal and that i can get cpap without dr's prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advice and info Paula02! Smile I just got referral to ENT. It's really helpful for me to know that my 02 levels are within normal range and that feeling not enough air when falling asleep is atypical for those with sleep apnea.  I can't wear a belt bc i am so weak and sensitive that with it on and the extra pressure from it its hard to fall asleep. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 155 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 116 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 103 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,157 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 434 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 179 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 718 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.