Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't fall back asleep :(
RE: Can't fall back asleep :(
I second the Judge's thoughts on using Melatonin. i don't take it often, just one hour before bedtime on nights where I know my mind is racing like an Indycar...

Melatonin just works for me, and I'm sleepin' like a baby for the night.

Dreaming
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2012, 07:09 AM)Route67 Wrote: Thank you Dennis and others, I really do wish it were that easy.

What I described is not "easy", it's a process.

(10-26-2012, 07:09 AM)Route67 Wrote: ...... my mind is not racing so much as playing songs and just driving me nuts.....I am semi-retired and lead a pretty stress-free life so I really have no idea why I can't just rest my mind and go back to sleep.

Well, there you have it exactly. The white wall offers no visual stimulation, and again, you have to keep bringing your mind's activity back to a standstill. Turn off the tune, stop the thought. Go back again and again to the white wall and mental silence. It will take time to make it work, as you are essentially breaking yourself of a bad habit.

In order to break a bad habit you first need to come to the awareness of the habit, then appreciate the negative aspects of it. Then identify a better alternative, then catch yourself committing the bad habit and cut it short and switch to the better habit.

For instance, when driving, if your bad habit is to not use your turn signal BEFORE braking and making a turn or a lane change, you have to realize your are not doing what you should. You appreciate that by not doing so you are breaking a law and being obstructive to other drivers. You of course, if thinking about the process will appreciate that by signaling appropriately you are now following proper driving procedures and will be helping your fellow motorist out by indicating your intentions before you actually begin a lane or directional transition. You identify the proper change of behavior to always signal appropriately before any turn or lane change. Then, any time you find yourself not signaling properly you immediately do so, and remind yourself to do it sooner next time. Eventually, you will retrain yourself to signal properly.

It will be helpful if you try the mind clearing process during your waking hours, not when you are laying sleepless in bed. Or, you might just sign yourself up for a yoga or meditation class to learn those mental skills. Go forth into your own mind grasshopper ..... ;' >

Dennis

Post Reply Post Reply
There are a variety of the relaxation techniques like the one Dennis described. Bookstores are filled with books about them, and you owe it to yourself to try some of them.

No, it's not that simple. But it's one strategy that can help to get you where you want to be.

I recommend that you get out of bed and read something that relaxes you. Keep the light levels low, and go back to bed when you're tired.

Once you start making some progress, you'll start to feel better. That will allow you to gain some confidence and make additional progress. You are correct when you say it's not that simple. It's a journey, and you will get to the point in your recovery where you will be able to fixate on it less.

And as you get better, you'll get better sleep, and that will be a feedback cycle that will lead to further improvements.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2012, 07:09 AM)Route67 Wrote: Thank you Dennis and others, I really do wish it were that easy.

I am waking up with Nocturia [still] and when I lie back down it's extremely hard to get back to sleep.....I got maybe 3 hours total last night and feel like garbage today. But I will try your advice, my mind is not racing so much as playing songs and just driving me nuts.....I am semi-retired and lead a pretty stress-free life so I really have no idea why I can't just rest my mind and go back to sleep.

I also have had trouble through the night....for many years and various reasons. I actually thought that when I retired, not stressing over going to work with no sleep...would correct the issue. Actually CPAP has helped me a lot...except the last two weeks or so, that have been just brutal. I swear that if I lived alone, I would just scream until I fell asleep. But, a few things that do seem to help me.....I keep my ereader and a flashlight on my bedside table...if that does not work...I have my ipod shuffle there, where I can either listen to an audio book or music. If neither of those work, I get up and start doing some housework....lol...not long before I tell myself I am really tired then. My issue is trying not to wake up Hubby, while doing housework. Also if I get cold...ie no extra clothes on to keep me warm, I tend to fall asleep more easily when I jump back into my nice warm bed. Best of luck to you...just know you are not alone!
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the first rule of good sleep hygiene is to do just two things in bed: sleep and sex.

Anything else, and you are teaching your body that laying down is no different than sitting up at your desk.

No reading, no television watching, no anything else. Some would advocate not even listening to music but I think it depends on the music. I practiced meditation for many years and I had the habit of listening to the same music each time I did. After a while, I could play that music and be 'there'. So if you pick an album that helps you to relax, you could listen to that in order to shift gears from Awake to Sleep.

So, to be totally psychological, by reading if you can't go to sleep, you are reinforcing the idea that not falling asleep rewards you by getting to read, which must be something you enjoy doing. The brain is a marvelous thing but it thrives on routine and habits, even those of us who hate both.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

I am waking up with Nocturia [still] and when I lie back down it's extremely hard to get back to sleep.......

Several times I have seen statements the even minimal light exposure during the night will mess up your sleep. It is said that the closer you can keep your sleeping environment to total darkness the better. With the above in mind, here's another thing that may help. I'm sure this won't appeal to everyone, depending on attitudes and circumstances, but it works for me.

I keep a urinal bottle, with lid, next to the bed. When I wake up and need to pee I simply stand up next to the bed and take care of business. Doing this does not require turning on any lights, walking anywhere, taking off the CPAP headgear or even opening my eyes. Just don't get so relaxed you fall back asleep while doing this.

Some obvious potential problems here, but if you're careful there shouldn't be any disasters.

YMMV,
Dennis

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2012, 04:27 PM)Dennis of the NorthWet Wrote: I'm sure this won't appeal to everyone, depending on attitudes and circumstances, but it works for me.

That's funny. For those keeping track, add that to the list of advantages to being male. Dielaughing

Not one I'll be making use of, BTW.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2012, 07:03 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 04:27 PM)Dennis of the NorthWet Wrote: I'm sure this won't appeal to everyone, depending on attitudes and circumstances, but it works for me.

That's funny. For those keeping track, add that to the list of advantages to being male. Dielaughing ....

As my grandfather used to say, "so handy to take on a picnic"
D.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 157 7 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,871 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.