Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

doc visit
RE: doc visit
(08-16-2012, 06:58 AM)pete64 Wrote: .sleeping with a mask is unnatural.need advice

Sleeping with a mask is no more unnatural than wearing clothes while going out to dinner.

We are conditioned to do these unnatural things like wear clothes because they are part of our social convention. They seem perfectly normal to us because we have been conditioned to do them.

Likewise, we can condition ourselves to wear a mask while sleeping. I've been using mine for over nine months now and it feels perfectly natural.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again pete64, I think you need to give it more time, CPAP therapy can take LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE, try to hang in there, I know it can be frustrating, but Give it a chance to become natural to use your machine and wear a mask. Best of luck on the weight loss, finding a different job, and with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2012, 06:58 AM)pete64 Wrote: am reasonable fit 5'10 195lbs now working to get down to 175lbs and looking for a more physical job than driving.sleeping with a mask is unnatural.need advice

Pete - here is advice.

Wear the mask.

Really.

I know how you feel about it, but the fact is that you have sleep apnea, and the very simplest, least intrusive, and most effect way to treat that is to wear the mask. I knew for years that I had OSA, but I absolutely loathe doctors and hospitals. I knew that I needed a CPAP machine, and that the only way to get one was to break down and go to the doctor... and then spend 2 nights in a clinic or hospital. Let me expand on that - I'm so bad with hospitals that I had nightmares the night before I knew I was going to one. Just a couple weeks ago. Here's the thing, though - I was only going there to take my son in for tests. I was going to sit in a waiting room. Thats it. And the test was just to decide if he had appendicitis (he did) which is actually pretty minor surgery these days. My point is that it was a *major* issue for me to even go to seek treatment, even when I knew as much as I could/did about OSA and CPAP. My issue wasn't wearing the mask, but it was no less daunting then yours.

Waiting to do it was one of the stupidest things I've ever done. I knew that 8 hours after I put the mask on the first time. The difference in how I feel, every day since then, and for the last 2+ years, is proof of that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Pete. I've been using the mask for more than five years now. From what you wrote, my guess is that your doc has been talking about you losing your driver's license because he knows how you feel about using your machine and mask. You feel it's unnatural. Well, it is before you get used to it. I guess what would be totally natural is for someone who needs it to not use it and simply fall asleep behind the wheel. Some of the folks here have had the surgery that your doc has talked to you about. I haven't had it, but I see that many people who have had the surgery are still in need of using their xpap machines and masks afterward. So, I read a message there. I don't believe others have mentioned that using a machine and mask for sleep apnea has important health benefits because untreated sleep apnea can lead to serious health problems including heart trouble and stroke, among other problems. So, be patient with yourself and as Trish said, use it and give it a chance to become natural.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help preparing for first doc visit in 4 years fishfinderG 24 1,874 01-09-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Follow Up Visit & Sleep Study is here :) Abletree 1 654 11-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Abletree
  Medicare FACE-TO-FACE "Compliance" visit? Night Train 7 1,053 07-21-2021, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Night Train
  Questions to ask between at-home study and consult visit? Trader Joe 17 1,660 10-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] High pressure after bathroom visit Roamer321 15 2,086 02-18-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Roamer321
  Does Medicare Require a Yearly Visit with Sleep Doctor? SideSleeper 13 3,650 11-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.