Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

doctor can't provide prescription to patient?
RE: doctor can't provide prescription to patient?
I also was refused a prescription at the Sleep Center. They said they don't and won't provide one. I am looking for a new Sleep Center. They treat me like a kindergartner.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 07:57 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: What exactly constitutes a prescription in the CPAP world?  I have the instructions on my sleep study to the DME specifying the machine and settings.  Is this enough or do we need a separate paper?  I need to have this when we travel in case I need a replacement for a broken/forgotten item.

As long as it's signed by a Doctor it's good.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 07:57 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: What exactly constitutes a prescription in the CPAP world?  I have the instructions on my sleep study to the DME specifying the machine and settings.  Is this enough or do we need a separate paper?  I need to have this when we travel in case I need a replacement for a broken/forgotten item.

Yes, I've had the same sort of paper signed by my doctor and have used it successfully at the airport and for ordering supplies online. (and locally with a DME)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 07:59 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I also was refused a prescription at the Sleep Center. They said they don't and won't provide one. I am looking for a new Sleep Center. They treat me like a kindergartner.

Any reason you are not reporting them for a HIPAA violation?

As I understand it, that prescription may be required to fly with your machine in your possession as a medical necessity. They cannot withhold that from you.

edit:
Besides that, what about your freedom to purchase supplies wherever you would like. Boy, I'm hopping mad. That just isn't right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds as if you've spoken to the office staff and not directly to the doctor "She's/He's much too busy to take your calls". If this is the case then you need to bypass the office staff and the best way of doing that is to make an appointment with your doctor. If this is coming directly from your MD then you're at the wrong practise.
Post Reply Post Reply

The doctor signs off on the prescription and the sleep lab signs off on the study. I guess it could one document but I would imagine both elements must be present.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You need documentation to fly with your device? As a carry on or in checked luggage?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, it is a good idea (to my mind) to carry the documentation with you in case you are challenged [as a carry on].

I've traveled with it and had no problem. I think they are very used to people with their machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. Of course, I haven't flown anywhere since 2009 anyway. I was just curious.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
I just came from my first follow up visit with my doc (since moving to ASV) and he gave me a copy of my sleep report without me even asking (I already got a copy from the hospital).

When I fly I will carry a copy of my prescription and FAA rules (some one posted links) for medical equipment carry on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 253 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,907 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 184 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 333 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 589 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 997 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 359 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.