Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

doctor can't provide prescription to patient?
doctor can't provide prescription to patient?
I asked for my sleep study results and prescription and they said they can't give it to me.  Any idea what I should say to get a copy (which I think I'm allowed to?).  I want to check a couple DMEs and don't want to ask them to fax info each time.. also I just want to see what it is.. any ideas?

Quote:"Per HIPPA policy we can only provide you with the results from sleep study, I was told we can't give you a copy of the prescription since its only used for insurance purpose."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: doctor can't provide prescription to patient?
Was that response from a DME or from your doctor's office?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, although I live in Canada and not the USA. I cannot see why they would deny giving you a copy of your prescription. But if that response is from your DME, you should be able to talk to your Doctor's office to get a copy of your prescription. It is YOUR prescription after all!
Post Reply Post Reply
The company that does the sleep study is often much like a blood testing lab. They don't issue prescriptions nor do they provide you directly with the results or make recommendations on treatment. The results go to a doctor who interprets them and, if appropriate, writes a prescription.

If it's a doctor that's refusing to give you a copy of your prescription.....then you have a very unusual issue that you should discuss with appropriate state of federal authorities because you have a legal right to your records and you certainly have a right to get a prescription and have it filled wherever you'd like. I don't believe it's legal for a doctor to steer you to a specific DME/provider.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry guys, wasn't exactly clear in my original post, but this was the reply from the Doctor's office. So not the DME and not the sleep center. From what I understand, most DMEs will want a prescription + sleep study results. The doctor office said they could give me the sleep study results, but not the prescription, so before I call back and challenge that, I was hoping to be able to cite some patient rights law? They didn't even spell the HIPAA acronym correctly..
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess this is a start:

https://www.healthit.gov/patients-famili...my-records
Post Reply Post Reply
I would talk to the Doctor first before reporting anything. Sometimes the front office people don't have a clue.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great, thanks for the link Kiwii. And yes, I agree it is probably a misunderstanding but when I call I want to understand my rights just in case they say no again. I couldn't tell if a prescription is actually part of records?

I also found this link useful https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profession...index.html
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I'm sure that you're right, that it is a misunderstanding.

I'm glad that you realized I meant the link for information about the rules. I wouldn't report them right off the bat either, although it is good to know that option is available. (and if you are met with determined resistance, then it wouldn't hurt to know the proper procedures so that you can counter)
Post Reply Post Reply
What exactly constitutes a prescription in the CPAP world? I have the instructions on my sleep study to the DME specifying the machine and settings. Is this enough or do we need a separate paper? I need to have this when we travel in case I need a replacement for a broken/forgotten item.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 212 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,879 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 169 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 314 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 572 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 986 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 351 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.