Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

does anyone know of an app/program that analyzes raw OSCAR data?
does anyone know of an app/program that analyzes raw OSCAR data?
My primary care physician prescribed my APAP machine back in January. To this day, they have not gotten back to me about ANY analysis of the raw data. I was told that the data is accessible to my doctor, but I have no idea how I am doing, as I have received zero feedback. I am as tired as ever, as affected by neurological pain as ever. I followed this board's direction to download my data and save it in OSCAR format, but this information is Chinese to me. Is anyone aware of a program that would analyze the data and provide feedback? It seems bizarre to me that I am hooked up to an APAP machine for 5 months now, but I have not the slightest clue if it's even helping. I would love to be able to upload my data to a computer ... at this point, I value artificial intelligence over my health care system.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: does anyone know of an app/program that analyzes raw OSCAR data?
Maybe not the answer your looking for, but OSCAR that you already have and your forum account are likely your best tool to make your therapy work better.

To have been prescribed an APAP, or any CPAP for that matter, you'd have had to take a sleep study. Do you have your copy of the report? Yes, then post a redacted version here. No, then call the doctor's office to request the full detailed report, not a summary. HIPAA law says yes you can get this.

Right now, you have lots to CA events and we're going to need to help find out why. That report should give us a table of the event type and count, including Central Apnea. If it turns out you had pre-existing CA, your doc needs to get an earful from you and the 2 of you together need to plan how you're getting onto ASV, the only PAP made for CA combat. Or if your CA is only treatment emergent, then we'd see that as well.

For now, if you have Flex on turn it off completely. Second, don't use the Ramp button. These 2 items add pressure swings that would increase CA in some, likely including yourself.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t know of any app but there are some very good people here that can.  I see 2 problems you can fix that would help a lot with your therapy. 

First are the large leaks (mask). When ever the machine registers a large leak you can not get therapy because it has lost pressure to help you. You need to adjust the mask or get a different mask. 

Next you have positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you are sleeping in a position where you are cutting off your own airway. Usually by chink tucking - your chin is dropping down to your Sternum. No amount of pressure can help it you have to find a way not to get into that position. 

Sleeping on your back or to high of a pillow can cause it but if is not that easy to fix you will need to wear a collar. Please see the link to collars at the bottom of the post. 

You will get the help you need here - I will let others give suggestions for changing pressures.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2021, 10:48 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Next you have positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you are sleeping in a position where you are cutting off your own airway. Usually by chink tucking - your chin is dropping down to your Sternum. No amount of pressure can help it you have to find a way not to get into that position. 

You should propose theories instead of making potentially false claims. 

I assume you have assumed positional apnea because of the clustered hypopneas. These could also be (and in my opinion are more likely) central hypopneas. The majority of hypopneas happened when central apneas or variable breathing were occurring or when it is questionable if the mask was even on properly (very high leak rate adjacent to periods of no breathing detected). 

Amiru, I would try and find a new doctor or sleep tech to deal with. Ask them to review your data and tell them the same thing you told us, you feel like crap and previous doctor hasn't looked at data. Your higher AHI numbers should be a red flag that treatment is not fully working, because the majority of apnea appear to be central in nature a different type of PAP machine may be required. Most won't review the detailed info from say OSCAR but in your case AHI numbers alone should be enough to spark their interest. 

As Dave said we will need details from your sleep study report to try and determine some more information. If your first study was just a home sleep study asking to have a in clinic study with titration (using CPAP to determine settings) might be worth asking new doctor/sleep tech about (once you can find one that looks at your data and agrees something isn't right).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the quick response.  I do have a copy of the Sleep Study (attached it to this reply) that was done initially (yes, it was done last July, and the doctor said they would contact me if it was not normal.  Never heard back from anyone.  Then, toward the end of the year, I blew a fuse because as Geer1 so succinctly said, I do feel like crap.  It is unreal how I simply cannot remember ANYTHING any more, minute to minute, and I'm beyond tired most days.  I do sleep on my back for two reasons: if I sleep on my side, my shoulders will ache.  Also, the mask I have (ResMed AirFit P10 for Her Nasal Pillow) will only stay put if I sleep on my back.  If I turn to my side, it'll "fall out of place," and it'll audibly leak like crazy.  I do like how effortlessly the mask fits AS LONG AS I'm on my back and/or hold the darn thing manually in place.  But, it is one lousy design, otherwise.  The backstrap is NOT adjustable (???) and I must have a super narrow head, because it is really not snug.  I really resent it because I paid over $100 for the thing -- a couple of grams of ill-fitting plastic for over $100.  I'm already contemplating buying another, different type mask, because this is admittedly not working well.

Attached Files
.pdf   Speep Test Redacted Version.pdf (Size: 904.76 KB / Downloads: 16)
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I can tell your WatchPat did not include checking for central Apnea.

Turn Flex off to see if that reduces the CAI.

Post a couple of 10 minute views of your chart showing the CA events. That will allow us evaluate the character of your Central events.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2021, 09:15 AM)Gideon Wrote: From what I can tell your WatchPat did not include checking for central Apnea.

Turn Flex off to see if that reduces the CAI.

Post a couple of 10 minute views of your chart showing the CA events.  That will allow us evaluate the character of your Central events.

I do not believe watchpat is capable of determining central apnea. It primarily measures blood flow signals and infers respiratory disturbances from that data. 

The quality of that sleep study appears poor. A lot of the events occurred at or during excluded periods due to the poor signal of oxygen saturation. It also clearly states you should have had a detailed follow up 4-6 weeks later.

I would try to book a follow up directly with the Straub Medical Center (Dr Pollack that reviewed study results). 

It sounds like your P10 is definitely too loose and you need to tighten it up. They sell (or used to sell) clips for the P10 that put a fold in straps that secure it and help tighten them up (I can't remember if they come with one. In essence they just create a fold in each of the back portion of straps to tighten them up. You can do the same by sewing or any other clip, knot etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zhQr7WFFH4
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI.  Watchpat has a "Central PLUS Module" that is apparently not often included in the package.

Quote:Central Sleep Apnea
The Central PLUS Module enables specific identification of Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) and Percent of Sleep Time with Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Quote:WatchPAT®️ is an innovative Home Sleep Apnea Test (HSAT) that utilizes the peripheral arterial signal (PAT®️).  It measures up to 7 channels (PAT®️ signal, heart rate, oximetry, actigraphy, body position, snoring, and chest motion) via three points of contact. Within one minute post-study, the raw data is downloaded and auto-scored identifying all types of apnea events. WatchPAT®️ provides AHI, AHIc, RDI, and ODI based upon True Sleep Time and Sleep Staging. WatchPAT®️ is clinically validated with an 89% correlation to PSG1. The PAT signal was included in the 2017 AASM Clinical Practice Guidelines as technically adequate.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK all good pointers. Even if the watchpat didn't include the CA module, a closer look at a zoomed Flow Rate segment and telling us symptoms and complaints about sleeping with the PAP can clue us in on the CA. How do you feel after using your PAP? Do you think you were asleep the whole session? I could give examples, but let's hear it in your own words first.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.