Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

does this make sense?
does this make sense?
Hi all

last night I had a very big cluster - 32 events between 11 and 12 pm. This seems to be a trend, though this was the biggest cluster yet. Seems like as my body gets used to a pressure setting I sleep deeper, and the Rem clusters kick back in. The rest of the night was just normal spacing of events. I ended up with an
ahi of 7.8.
I have been at this cpap pressre of 16, 16,2, or 16.4 for 12 days now.

Any thoughts about my theory?

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: does this make sense?
(08-12-2014, 06:41 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: Hi all

last night I had a very big cluster - 32 events between 11 and 12 pm. This seems to be a trend, though this was the biggest cluster yet. Seems like as my body gets used to a pressure setting I sleep deeper, and the Rem clusters kick back in. The rest of the night was just normal spacing of events. I ended up with an
ahi of 7.8.

Any thoughts about my theory?

I think that part of your theory is not correct. However, every night is different; and you may just be in for a run of REM apneas.

Having said that, I would think perhaps you might do a bit better with a little higher IPAP max pressure. Giving the Autoset a bit more top room to deal with apneas. REM apneas are difficult to avoid altogether.

My theory on REM apnea (and I'm as far from being a neurologist as I am from being an astronaut) is that during REM, the brain is too busy to take care of some functions like maintaining the airway. That may be totally incorrect -- but, it's my working hypothesis. I just woke from a rather vivid dream about an hour ago: Some person had stolen my watch; and I found them with it -- "dead to rights." Unfortunately it had been disassembled.

Although a person is more diffcult to arouse in REM, it is a transitional stage as one comes out of deeper stages of sleep.
"...Sleep proceeds in cycles of REM and NREM, usually four or five of them per night, the order normally being N1 → N2 → N3 → N2 → REM. There is a greater amount of deep sleep (stage N3) earlier in the night, while the proportion of REM sleep increases in the two cycles just before natural awakening."

From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_of_s...s_of_sleep
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 06:41 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: Hi all

last night I had a very big cluster - 32 events between 11 and 12 pm. This seems to be a trend, though this was the biggest cluster yet. Seems like as my body gets used to a pressure setting I sleep deeper, and the Rem clusters kick back in.
Without knowing the following, it's impossible to make an intelligent guess as to whether this was a REM-related cluster or not:
  • Time you went to bed and estimate of sleep latency

• Make up of the events in the cluster

• Some basic diagnostic information: Is your OSA documented as being substantially worse in REM? And is there any mention of central apneas on your titration study or your diagnostic study?

• Is there any history of other REM-related sleep disorders?

Quote:Any thoughts about my theory?
In normal sleep, the first REM cycle usually occurs roughly 90 minutes after falling soundly asleep AND the first REM cycle is usually very short---as in 5 minutes or so. The REM cycles increase in length as the night progresses, and the longest REM cycles are usually just before you wake up.

So unless your REM cycles have a pattern that is very different from the average person's REM cycles, this cluster most likely does not fit the pattern of REM-related OSA-clusters.

Quote:The rest of the night was just normal spacing of events. I ended up with an
ahi of 7.8.
Given the high pressures, it is worth asking the question: Is there any chance that these events might be pressure-induce central events?

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
@readyforsleep:
Perhaps you could post some graphs from SH.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=987][attachment=987]]Thanks for your wisdom, again.

My last sleep study was in 2010. Titrated at a pressure of 12. Used a straight pressure untl March 2014. I do not have any data that says I have a rem sleep disorder.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 10:42 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: My last sleep study was in 2010. Titrated at a pressure of 12. Used a straight pressure untl March 2014.
How did your data look when you were using straight pressure at 12cm?

Why did you switch to APAP in the first place?

Did this kind of cluster start only after the switch to APAP? Or were you having these kinds of nasty clusters before you switched from CPAP to APAP?

And what is the pressure graph doing during this nasty cluster of events?

Finally: While the timing of the start of the cluster is about right for a REM cycle, the first REM cycle is NOT likely to last 60 minutes in length. It looks to me like there might be something else going on. If this were my data and I was often seeing this kind of event, I'd be talking with my sleep doc and asking for his feedback on what the data most likely means.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed your cluster occurred while flow limitations were down but at the same time when leakage was at a high point. Perhaps a mask problem or sleep position change affecting mask fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue: Looks like, from the pressure statistics, that she's running CPAP mode at a fixed pressure of 16.4 cm-H2O with zero ERP.
ergo: appears the question: "And what is the pressure graph doing during this nasty cluster of events?" cannot be answered.

Always best to ask the doctor. Prima facie, it appears running Auto with a window of 12 to 18 might suppress the OSA cluster. There is a lot of flow limitation there; and all apneas scored as OSA.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 11:23 AM)robysue Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 10:42 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: My last sleep study was in 2010. Titrated at a pressure of 12. Used a straight pressure untl March 2014.

How did your data look when you were using straight pressure at 12cm?

When I had a straight pressure of 12 I had a brick. No data.

Why did you switch to APAP in the first place?

Current therapy was not working. I borrowed an apap from my dme to determine if
my pressure needed to change. My average pressure was 16. Requested a new machine and doctor set my range to 10-20.

Did this kind of cluster start only after the switch to APAP? Or were you having
these kinds of nasty clusters before you switched from CPAP to APAP?

And what is the pressure graph doing during this nasty cluster of events?

Finally: While the timing of the start of the cluster is about right for a REM cycle, the first REM cycle is NOT likely to last 60 minutes in length. It looks to me like there might be something else going on. If this were my data and I was often seeing this kind of event, I'd be talking with my sleep doc and asking for his feedback on what the data most likely means.

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 11:43 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: I noticed your cluster occurred while flow limitations were down but at the same time when leakage was at a high point. Perhaps a mask problem or sleep position change affecting mask fit.

Thank you. Good observation. Especially since RobySue stated that Rem cycles don't last this long. I'll see what happens tonight.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 570 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 214 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,332 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,412 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 425 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 561 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.