Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

downloaded update now Oscar won't open [solved, see post #16]
downloaded update now Oscar won't open [solved, see post #16]
Earlier today I was able to open the older version of OSCAR on my Windows 10 64bit computer.  After downloading and installing the latest version OSCAR initializes but once that's done the window closes.   There are no error messages, it just closes.

I ran the Windows 10 compatibility checker and it gives a "Not Compatible" message.  I've tried uninstalling the latest version and reinstalling it but that didn't help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: downloaded update now Oscar won't open
If you have an antivirus software, turn it off and then try installing OSCAR. If that doesn't correct the problem, hold down the shift key when starting OSCAR. Only try this step one time.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks but no joy. Uninstalled Oscar, deleted the Oscar team from the registry, rebooted the computer and reinstalled Oscar. It's doing the same thing where as soon as the "loading profile" step is completed Oscar shuts down. I tried it holding down the shift key and Oscar kept the loading profile open for maybe 30 seconds and then shut down. The previous version of Oscar worked fine and what's weird about it is my spouse also installed the latest version on their computer, which is the same as my computer, and Oscar works fine on their computer. What the heck???
Post Reply Post Reply
I entered my response to Crimson Nape via the "quick reply" but now I'm not sure if the quick reply is for the message that was posted originally or if it is for the last post in the thread.  Should I have clicked on "Reply" that's part of Crimson Nape's response or what? 

Bottom line is we still can't get OSCAR to run on one of our computers.  We both have sleep apnea and we want our results kept on separate computers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had forgotten about the default "Quick Replay".  Since you can't do formatting or insert anything, I turned mine off so long ago, that I forgot it existed.  The Reply and Quick Reply are not tied to any specific post.  They are only tied to the thread that you're currently in.  The "Reply with Quote" is tied to a particular post, because it will copy that post into your reply.  This feature should only be used when it would be VERY difficult for the reader to logically connect your response to another's post, then edit out everything except what you are replying to.  

Now, let's get back to your problem. . .  Windows 10 recently went through some updates that seem to have increased security (aka: broken) in its system.  I understand a newer update has eliminated some of this.  (My thought: It's pretty bad to require an update to fix an update!)

To keep things simple, let's try the following in the order listed.
  1. Reboot your computer.
  2. Create a new user.
  3. Change Account Type to Administrator.
  4. Login in to this new account.
  5. Try installing OSCAR.
  6. Provide feedback here on its install status.
An optional step that may be preformed at any or all steps above, is to have another cup of coffee. . .  Smile

The above should give us a clue if your problem is with your account or your system.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ [b]Crimson Nape  There were some medical issues at our end thus the big delay in getting back to you.  My wife and I have both worked as programmers YEARS AGO in shops where there were folks who did the technical stuff and there were us folks who cut code.  This was about 35 years ago.  So we know a little about the new operating systems, user interfaces and equipment, but probably just enough to be dangerous.  [/b]

The latest issue we've run into is my wife's computer (Win10) won't let a new user account be created.  We've found some info about how to fix this but it's something that we're still working on.  One of the first things they suggested was running cmd [b]sfc /scannow.  It reported finding and fixing something.  I was hoping that that fix would make it so my wife could run OSCAR but no joy.  It still starts up and it looks like it's initializing and when that's done OSCAR closes.[/b]

My wife is really concerned about us doing something that would corrupt all the various projects she's working on so we're taking this very slowly and carefully. 

Even though I know a little about programming I must admit Windows, the graphical interface, etc. are a bit overwhelming for me.  On top of that Microsoft seems to make it a habit of hiding/moving stuff around so that it's hard to find.  Enough with the excuses.  I just wanted to let you know that we appreciate your help and we're now, hopefully back working on getting OSCAR to work again.  Last resort is I buy her a new computer.   Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look in your OSCAR_Data directory, you will see a subdirectory named "logs." Please make a zip file of the logs directory and upload it to my Dropbox folder. Please include your forum name in the zip file name so we know who the file is from.

Those diagnostic logs will probably enable me to determine what is happening.

Thank you.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The log shows confusing information. It shows reports for two different machines: J16564488C285 and J1809277091A1. Do you really intend to be recording data for two different machines? 

Also, the log entries that report both machines were being used on the same day (which is not supported) and have invalid dates. Have you used the SD card for many years? (It is possible this is a problem with the diagnostic log itself; I'll defer that question for now).

But I think the problem on your wife's computer may be a graphics engine problem. As you know, you can set OSCAR to use the old software graphics engine instead of the newer OpenGL engine by holding down the shift key when you start OSCAR. However, it appears that the old, reliable software graphics engine crashes on some Windows 10 machines. 

We have two ways to solve this problem: 1) a change to OSCAR preference settings, or 2) a patch to the preference settings.

First think to do is to see if you can fix it from the OSCAR user interface. Start OSCAR. Select File > Preferences > General. The setting at the upper left of the Preferences dialog General page allows you to select the graphics engine. Change the selection to "ANGLE" or "Desktop OpenGL". Click on OK to save the preferences, stop and restart OSCAR. Does this fix the problem?

If you are unable to access the Preferences dialog, we have a patch file to fix this problem. Right click on https://sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/Patch/SetOs...isplay.zip and choose Save Link As.... Unzip the file and you will see a .bat file. Open a command prompt as an Administrator, run the batch file, and select the OpenGL or ANGLE engine. Then start OSCAR and see if it works.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the above solves your problem, please let me know whether the computer is using an AMD or Intel processor, and which one. Does it have a separate graphics card, or are you using the graphics tools on the processor chip?

Also, please let me know what graphics driver and version you are using.

I am trying to find any common factors between similar reports.

Thanks.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guy

You very well might be right in that it might be a graphics engine problem but we'd like to take this in baby steps and see if the baby steps fix the problem so we don't have to mess with the graphics engine.

"...The log shows confusing information. It shows reports for two different machines: J16564488C285 and J1809277091A1. Do you really intend to be recording data for two different machines?..." 

Those two machines are my wife's and mine.  Back in the Sleepy Head days my wife created an account for her and another for me on her computer.  She created an account for me because she likes to monitor not only her reports but also mine.  I also had Sleepy Head and then OSCAR on my computer but I didn't create a separate user for my wife like she did for me on her computer.  I hope that makes sense. Saying it another way: She was looking at her and my data and I was just looking at my data.

She can't remember for sure but we're guessing that she had set up 2 accounts in OSCAR too.

"...Have you used the SD card for many years?..."  Yes.  We've used our cards since something like 2016.   We've identified our cards so we can be sure the cards go back into the correct CPAP machine.

"...We have two ways to solve this problem: 1) a change to OSCAR preference settings, or 2) a patch to the preference settings...."

We can't do the first choice because the OSCAR window is only open for a few seconds and then closes.

If you tell us that none of the above "baby steps" give you a possible way of solving her problem then we'll go to step 2 (the patch file).

Thanks again for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will an OSCAR update ever be released? guzzle 3 173 03-07-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar doesn't update settings kappak 1 276 01-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar Update? Fixit50 7 544 01-12-2024, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Fixit50
  How do I update my weight in Oscar alexwatt 2 432 10-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: alexwatt
Information Resvent iMatrix Software & Firmware Update for iBreeze machines SuperSleeper 1 1,308 10-13-2023, 08:16 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot select profile in OSCAR [solved, see post #9] GB San Jose 9 1,491 10-09-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: GB San Jose
Question Oscar installation problem [solved, see post #4] Bertrand 3 731 09-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Bertrand

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.