Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dragon800 - Therapy Questions
RE: Hello I think I have Cheyne-Stokes breathing
Best way is to post the full night, then any sections of concern.  Below are 3 examples of different zoom levels.  Generally a zoom level of 3-4 minutes is adequate as in the third image, but some CSR patters can be represented in longer segments. For example here is an example of CSR that runs for 7-minutes. You can see how Resmed flags CSR and what the pattern looks like and how prevalent it is through the night. A longer segment follows.  So the best zoom level is the one that shows the issue with either individual breaths, or longer periods of breathing patterns like CSR. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12475]

Here is an example that runs nearly 45 minutes and shows the pattern, but not the individual breaths. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5122]

Here is an example of a 3-minute zoom showing the individual breath waves, in this case showing an arousal from diminishing flow.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=43377]
Post Reply Post Reply
ok thank you I'll post some screenshots. Thanks for your time helping me I really appreciate it very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully these are helpful. this is one of my worst nights although I dont see the pattern of cheyne-stokes like i did in the other one on sleephq and i forget what night that was. Im guessing I jumped to conclusions thinking I have that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see CSR, but the repeated central apnea events may require ASV to effectively treat. CSR occurs on a longer interval of gradually waxing and waning breaths as you saw in the examples above. Your events are repeated CA with initial recovery breathing (large volume) that diminishes into the next CA very quickly. It's certainly periodic breathing in that there is a pattern, but these events seem to arise out of an idiopathic imbalance in PCO2. In practice this is an alternate hyperventilation / hypoventilaiton that follows a hypercapnia/hypocapnia respiratory drive signal. You seem to get into these feedback loops which result in rapidly alternating respiration. Adaptive servo ventilation works to equal out the respiratory volume on a breath by breath basis, providing pressure support to maintain respiration as needed and allowing spontaneous respiration when support is not needed.

These examples of "worst conditions" are not typical for you, but they serve to show your sensitivity to the "apneic threshold" which is how this respiratory instability occurs. If your apnea were predominately central and consistently at a high enough level, then there would be no question that ASV would be appropriate and prescribed. Normally your doctor would recognize predominately central apnea and do cardiac screening to ensure you don't have a significant risk factor for ASV (generally left ventricular ejection fraction less than 45% associated with heart failure), and then schedule a titration study to evaluate bilevel and ASV as possible therapy alternatives. The Oscar Statistic tab should show your event rate and types over different periods of time and might be useful to see how severe this problem has been over the course of your therapy. What have you done so far to discuss this with your doctor? Do you monitor SpO2 and pulse? Are you located at high altitude?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah one of mine I found had the waxing and waning of CSR but I think it was a fluke because I haven't seen it since. Im not at a high altitude I think somewhere around 2400 ft above sea level. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow because I got the CPAP from a supply store which i dont think helps me any further and my doctor told me all they do is compliance in that they just make sure I wear it. I had zero clue about CPAP until I found CPAP Reviews on youtube and this forum. All I know about my original sleep test is that they were worried about my o2 level and I did order a simple o2 finger monitor yesterday. Im gonna try to save up for a good one. My heart doctor was really short with me not wanting to answer questions so I think I will try to get what paperwork I can and find someone online that can look at it. Someone told me I should change my CPAP from auto to CPAP with the pressure at 12 so I think I'll try that out tonight. 
Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Help with data if you have the time
Hi i posted here yesterday and thank you for the help! I did some adjustments last night and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts if you have the time to spare. I feel weird asking for help to be honest. Anyway, I set my machine from auto to cpap and set the max pressure to 11.4 and my 95% max pressure last night was 11.4 so should I set it higher? I had an AHI of 13 with 9.4 being centrals which worries me. Thanks for any insight and/or suggestions.

Also, from here on should I post in this thread or make new threads? I don't want to clutter up the board.

Post Reply Post Reply
dragon800 - Since both your threads deal with questions about your therapy, I have merged them. We prefer that a member keep their therapy questions in a single thread. This is to allow others easy reference to your history on this subject.

To make your title more inclusive, I have renamed your thread title to, "dragon800 - Therapy Questions". I am sending a confirmation PM to you as well to notify of this change.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dragon800 - Therapy Questions
sounds good, thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
my latest night it shows me stop breathing for over 10 seconds 3 times every minute for about a half hour straight. clear apneas so no obstruction. Could this somehow be a machine error? If that's accurate it's scary as all hell!

the reason the pressure is even in the first half is i had set the machine from auto to cpap but then set it back to cpap when i woke up because my AHI was in the 50's

Post Reply Post Reply
Somewhere along the line you turned on EPR. I recommend that you turn it off. That might help some with the CAs.

Do you yet have an appointment with the sleep doctor? I would think your high AHI, along with the high index for CAs, would get a doctor's attention. Sleeprider has explained the importance of getting a titration with a bilevel machine and an ASV machine. (That's short for adaptive servo-ventilation.) That would mean you'd be in a sleep lab and they'd try out the different kind of machine settings on you while you slept to see what worked best.

If the doctor doesn't bring up a titration with bilevel and ASV machines, or doesn't mention ASV at all, I think it will be important for you to ask, politely but firmly, whether a titration of this kind would be valuable. If the doctor says no, ask why. Also ask the doctor what the alternative plan is to reduce your AHI. (I bet there won't be one.)

With luck your doctor will be well informed and sensible. But think ahead of time about how you will respond if you get some kind of brush-off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 939 1 hour ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 6 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.