Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dreamstation and p10 noise w/o humidifier
dreamstation and p10 noise w/o humidifier
I have been using a Dreamstation for two years with excellent results. I have the humidifier attached but DO NOT use water in it. 15mm heated tube but do not use heat, With my P10 nasal pillow mask it is dead quiet. No machine noise and no mask noise. My wife and I have just retired and plan on doing extensive travel. I first thought I would buy a Transcend or Dreamstation GO then thought of using just the dreamstation without the humidifier attached. I've tried and the mask noise is horrible. Constant "rushing air" noise. Called Phillips.....literally zero help!...called ResMed and identical results......had unit checked by my home provider.....little help...and the unit sounds identical to a brand new unit. No one near me has either the Dreamstation GO or the Air Mini to try and I really don't want to buy one on the if come especially given the reviews I have read on mask noise. Also sounds like Z1 and Transcend are the same. So at this point I am stuck hauling the full dreamstation throughout our travels both here and abroad. Does ANYONE have advise, recommendations, cause or solution?

My AHI is between .8 and 1.1, 100% mask fit and no periodic breathing.

I hope someone can offer help. Regardless, this forum is awesome and if nothing else I am grateful you guys, and gals are here!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dreamstation and p10 noise w/o humidifier
Philips makes an In-line Outlet Bacteria Filter that fits between the machine and hose. This adds a "muffler" to the CPAP tube. They are inexpensive, so it's a cheap experiment. Welcome to the forum, enjoy your retirement.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleep rider! On order as I write. I'll provide feedback as soon as they arrive. I ordered a Phillips brand from cpapashop and generic from amazon. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that the filters do add some resistance, so you may need to keep an eye on your pressure and make sure it isn't too changed
Post Reply Post Reply
i almost wonder if the pressure difference with and without the humidifier attached is where the problem lies.  I cant imagine it as the humidifier is empty but it is dead silent without and a constant rushing noise when detached. Not the Darth Vader inhale and exhale noise others speak of.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi porsche987,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If I'm not mistaken, there are settings to accommodate the in-line bacterial filter, I'm sure someone will let us know.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, I've tried both the bacteria filter and also the muffler sold by Supplier #1 ,,,no difference or very very little.  I've found a dealer not to far from my home that has the Dreamstation GO and I will be trying it out on Monday.  If the noise (tube noise not really the Darth Vader inhale and exhale) persists I guess I'm stuck lugging the whole dreamstation all over the world.  I guess I should be happy that I have it as it has been a massive improvement to my sleep and overall health!

Still open for thoughts, opinions and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate the feedback that the filters do not reduce noise. I have always carried the CPAP and humidifier, and not found it to be a problem. The Resmed Airsense unit is a lot more compact as the humidifier is integrated, and the travel case is brilliant. My guess is that if you tried the resmed, you'd retire the Philips to a backup.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. How do you rate the sound of the Airsense? I'd love to go that route but have read negative reviews regarding the noise and have thus shied away. I do now really want nor need a humidifier although I understand the Airsense is the small inline unit which wouldn't be bothersome. The full Dreamstation unit is ok when I do longer trips and don't need to just have a carry on but it takes considerable space in my roller bag.

Again, thanks for the response and recommendation.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 is extremely quiet with no appreciable noise transmitted to the mask. My wife and I both use one. I can hear a mask leak from hers, but no machine noise. I have no perception of noise from mine unless I really focus on it. In summer the crickets and katy-dids drown it out, and we get annoyed at our daughter's friends skinny-dipping in the pool. Smile

It is a seriously quiet machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 110 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 373 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 264 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,252 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 198 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,723 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.