Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dry eyes?
dry eyes?
I have been using a full face mask for 4 months. I am getting severe dry eyes. Could it be the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dry eyes?
Quite possibly. The bridge of the nose seems to be quite variable in contour. In my case, I have been wearing glasses for more than 50 years, so I have dents in my bridge where the nose pads rest.

I've found that if I can keep my eyes open with my nasal mask on, then I am probably OK for the night. If I can feel air on my eyes or eyebrows, I know I need to adjust the mask. The lower it sits on my nose, the better it feels.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Above as mentioned by pholynyk. Plus:
The tear duct next to the nose is actually a drain from the eye to the sinuses.
CPAP pressurizes the sinuses; and can blow air and crud into the eye.

Both dry the eye from the passage of too much air over the surface.

You might consider a visit to an ophthalmologist to rule out some other cause.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry eyes can cause a lot of grief down the road. Believe me, I know.

Severe dryness will result in scraping of the eye surface which, in turn, can lead to the debris clogging tear ducts and eye glands. This can lead to infection or disease. Blepharitis is one such disease and can be extremely debilitating.

You want to see a professional asap. In the meantime use some good eye drops or gel. Gel is very good for overnight. In Canada we can buy Liposic gel over the counter. It is, by far, the best product I have used this far.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2015, 01:49 AM)rokky Wrote: In Canada we can buy Liposic gel over the counter. It is, by far, the best product I have used this far.

That's brand name by B&L that's available in Canada. I believe there is an equivalent OTC product available in the US.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Avoid any eye drops that have preservatives and those that say "fixes red eye". You want lubrication. I've had fantastic success with Systane gel drops at night and their regular drops during the day (which is just regular saline).

Meanwhile, try out mask liners. I cannot stop the leaking at the top of my nose with my full face mask except with the liners. I can get 3 nights out of one if my face is clean. Less in the summer.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2015, 04:27 PM)dougwidman Wrote: I have been using a full face mask for 4 months. I am getting severe dry eyes. Could it be the mask?

Hi Doug, A common complaint about Simplus & other full face masks is that they ride up during the night allowing air to puff into the eye/s. As the others have said, this is not only uncomfortable, but dangerous too. I have designed a device to counter this effect which I call the Woozle. You can make one for a few cents & it really works. Scroll down to the the latest post for full instructions. Best of luck.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem. Massive eye irritation in the morning.
I switched to a total face mask (Fit Life) and that stopped the crud flow coming up into my eyes over night
(pressure behind the eye and the front are now equal)

I look like a Space Commando but the silly thing works!

No eye irritation etc.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The Systane gel drops that Paula talked about is what my Ophthalmologist recommended for FFM dry eyes. The other option that he mentioned was to plug the tear ducts. I did not like that one very much

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton... I think our RMQ masks don't ride up like some because of the forehead rest.
Paula: Thx for the tip on Systane gel drops. I've been looking for a better eye gel.
I have had dry eyes even before CPAP.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 vs. Aircurve 10 (Dry, Puffy Eyes) MrIvanDrago 15 1,056 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 896 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 502 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  “Tired eyes” & your experiences spetzal 1 781 12-24-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Puffy dry eyes thepiecesfit 7 1,448 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: walt48
  Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long dawoodsman 11 7,949 01-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [CPAP] Morning Watery Eyes TommySnores 7 2,803 11-12-2021, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Gary1of2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.