Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dry mouth
RE: dry mouth
They either don't carry it or had no loaners... I don't know. Sorry.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2018, 05:15 PM)snorybob Wrote: DaveL -  satfrat:   

Have you looked at the hybrid Resmed Mirage Liberty mask?   

Bag-head    snorybob.

Nope,, and I'm not sure I'd want to stick plugs into my nose either tho I've never tried it so you never know. Similar to that mask, I have tried the Philips Dreamwear full face mask and chose to try the Resmed N20 instead. I regret that now but I was trying them sitting in a hard chair and not lying down on a bed like I should be trying masks on. 

Saturday, I'll be trying the Resmed N20 and the Dreamwear Nasal which is the one I'll probably be taking home because the Dreamwear can be used with all 3 options,, pillow, nasal and full face. I'm a moth breather as my nose is congested from a lifetime of allergies but wearing a mask just scares the hell outta me for now. Maybe I'll feel different after down the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just bought one snorybob and Michael

$64 Canadian. Ebay. I'm tired of partial solutions. But that's a lot of money.
Oh my.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL:  

If I can give you an advice when you take off the collar, go really easy pulling on the velcro, the material rips easily, it's kind of flimsy. It happened to me with the first eliminator I had. At that price, I guess you want it to last!   

Bag-head   snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. At that price I'll learn to sew!
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Davel… I am presently using the F20 Airfit full face mask and use the wisp nasal (large cushion) as a back-up. When I used the Wisp I taped my mouth but would never suggest to tape a full face mask, especially if you are using the humidifier as the tape can get moist, and become loose in the mask. That would definitely be a chocking hazard. Also since the Dr. Dakota doesn't have padding in the back I cut a tube sock and placed it around the back straps for extra comfort. The Velcro is tough but you can reinforce the thread for a easy solution. (easy if you can sew) That price is high for e-bay. Think Canada raised the import tax on it? Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
I can sew; not pretty, but it works. Specialty is repairing my dogs' toys. Somehow they last after I've fixed them.
I'm looking forward to receiving it
the Doc thing. I'm really disappointed at the cost. I'll shop and see if I can find one as spare for a lower price.

My mask is still my N20. It works really well for me. It's easy to use. My regret is that I mouth breath sometimes; I didn't use to. I'm older now, and I'm grateful I still breath.

My late Father had OSA. He was never diagnosed. I remember to this day the noises he made when he was sleeping. That was years ago. He passed in 1993. He was 76, a Navy veteran of two wars and had been through h-ll in service. Broadsides from his cruisers; aircraft attacks. ship to shore, and ship to ship battles in the Mediterranean and Pacific. Wonder what he would think of my cpap gear, straps and sleep habits. Probably think it was crap. Can't ask him now.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I am one who believes you can overcome mouth breathing as I have. As I said earlier I learned to use the "tongue suck" technique given on Sleepyhead, eventually overcame mouth breathing, and used the cervical collar along with the nasal Wisp mask and no more snowing. I did tape for a few months with the nasal mask. When I used the treadmill I would slowly increase my speed and force myself to nose breath until I needed more air and had to open my mouth. Usually around 3.2 mph.

I am sure your father would have frowned about sleep apnea but it wasn't something anybody knew about at that time. I ignored it 20 years after my wife told me I stopped breathing many times per night. If I would have received help I might have been able to avoid high blood pressure, a heart attack, triple heart bypass, diabetes, a-fib and anything else they will blame on apnea going forward. I also was a veteran in the Navy special forces during the Vietnam war in the mid 60's. I can't imagine your father going through two wars.

Best of luck to you on your Cpap therapy. You have very little to lose, but much to gain.......Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Mike. Nonouring you and your Service.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2018, 09:10 AM)michael9346 Wrote: I am one who believes you can overcome mouth breathing as I have. As I said earlier I learned to use the "tongue suck" technique given on Sleepyhead, eventually overcame mouth breathing, and used the cervical collar along with the nasal Wisp mask and no more snowing. I did tape for a few months with the nasal mask. When I used the treadmill I would slowly increase my speed and force myself to nose breath until I needed more air and had to open my mouth. Usually around 3.2 mph.

I am sure your father would have frowned about sleep apnea but it wasn't something anybody knew about at that time. I ignored it 20 years after my wife told me I stopped breathing many times per night. If I would have received help I might have been able to avoid high blood pressure, a heart attack, triple heart bypass, diabetes, a-fib and anything else they will blame on apnea going forward. I also was a veteran in the Navy special forces during the Vietnam war in the mid 60's. I can't imagine your father going through two wars.

Best of luck to you on your Cpap therapy. You have very little to lose, but much to gain.......Mike

I believe I open my mouth out of laziness. I remember years ago learning to stop mouthbreathing by placing my  tongue against my teeth and roof of my mouth as I started to sleep.
I've tried lots of times to use a full face mask. 
Last attempt was a ResMed F20.  It actually was comfortable. It leaked like a sieve. My number was about 16 for AHI after sleeping part way through a night with it on. It was a loaner; I took it back. I was seeing whether i could use a full face mask and no chin strap, instead of my previous N20 with a chinstrap.

Part of the reason was that the N20 shoots a jet of air straight out. I don't like that. At least it's quiet.

I'm back using my N20 with my very one pad under my jaw. I'll try the Dr whatsit snore pad when it arrives. $65 Canadian including tax duty and shipping from ebay.  Arrrrgggghhhhh  Last underjaw sleep pad was $45 from Amazon. It didn't work worth squat.

cpap treatment has changed my life for the better. But it's hard being compliant.

In my very first sleep test I stopped breathing lots.  43 x hour. I'm a lot heavier now. I have high blood pressure. I'm doing well otherwise. Touch wood.

My first sleep doc was absolutely wonderful  Doc Ferguson in London ONtario. Then I moved...I would love to find a sleep doc like her! I have a great DME. Makes all the difference. Except some good people have been missing there lately....(My first sleep study was in an old Nurse's Residence in London Ontario. I was told it was haunted...it certainly had bugs! And asbestos. I don't know how I ever fell asleep that night well over 25 years ago.)

edit: I'm on a quest to find a really good sleep doctor for treatment in the Toronto-Oakville-Burlington area.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 110 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,380 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 166 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 938 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 139 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 677 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 232 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.