Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dry mouth
dry mouth
hello , every now and then when I wake up in the morning I find myself with a dry mouth , use a nasal mask . if I open my mouth during sleep can ' influence on the yield of cpap ?? thx

(google translate)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dry mouth
If your not using a chin strap you most likely are dropping your chin and allowing air to escape back out your mouth, suggest getting a chin strap or transition to a full face mask
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, I do not use chin strap, but the air that comes from the mouth can 'influence on the yield of CPAP? thx
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 05:20 AM)papaste Wrote: ok, I do not use chin strap, but the air that comes from the mouth can 'influence on the yield of CPAP? thx

Yes, if you are mouth breathing and the leak is large enough, then it's possible that the machine will not detect apneas correctly. The pressure (air) is coming out your mouth instead of sprinting your airway open. A chin strap will help.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, thx, will buy a chin strap
pity that my cpap resmed s9 not read apneas but only sleeping hours
Post Reply Post Reply
but an examination of saturometry can 'detect apnea? last month I did this test and the result normal saturometry ok. the doctor told me that even if air comes out of the mouth does not affect the yield of cpap 'cause the examination and' went well. I hope to tell me I'm fine 'translate with google translate
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 06:50 AM)papaste Wrote: but an examination of saturometry can 'detect apnea? last month I did this test and the result normal saturometry ok. the doctor told me that even if air comes out of the mouth does not affect the yield of cpap 'cause the examination and' went well. I hope to tell me I'm fine 'translate with google translate

Make no mistake, mouth breathing or air escaping via the mouth will definitely have a detrimental effect on your therapy no matter what experts may tell you. The flow of escaping air can reach such a velocity that it will actually make a roaring sound, & will defeat your treatment.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
A detriment of dry mouth from CPAP therapy can be to your dental. It is for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
try biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. You have to be careful which biotene you purchase as they have different products for different things. I prefer the green bottle of mouthwash but it isn't the correct one for dry mouth (if I remember the colors correctly) but read on the bottle and or box to see which is used for dry mouth. We have used it since my other half was diagnosed with cancer years ago.

I used a chin strap when I switched to a nasal mask but after a short time, I tried not using it and found I didn't need it anymore. Periodically, I will still get dry mouth but I attribute it to drainage and/or allergies. Since it doesn't happen every night, I have not gone back to the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 105 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 109 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 811 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 359 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,251 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.