Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dry mouth even with mouth taped shut
RE: dry mouth even with mouth taped shut
Thank you! I will keep you posted.

Zonk - For some crazy reason when I tried lowering my bottom pressure, my AHI's went up dramatically. My AHI's were around 15. It is weird, but when I had it set to 6-18cm, my pressure never went up past 10. Obviously, I needed more pressure. My AHI's went below 5 for the first time after I set it at CPAP 14cm. At 13-15, 95% of the night I am at 14.5 and my AHI's are below 5. At my Split-Night Sleep Study, my pressure was titrated to 14cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, some conditions that cause dry mouth don't appear during the day because at some point in 8hrs, you would have drank something and eaten something. Whereas at night, you don't.

How often are you making changes to the humidifier? You may not notice a difference after just one night.

Mouth breathing at night is totally different than day. At night, you are relaxed and, for many people, their jaw drops, their mouth opens, and they breathe through their mouth. This isn't something just for CPAP users.

Your machine is data capable. Have you looked to see what the leak rate is? (can't remember if you said you did or not) If your leak rate is higher than it should be, then yes, air is escaping from somewhere it's not supposed to.

You want the chin strap to be tight enough that, sitting up and relaxed, your jaw does not drop. But you don't want it so tight you can't open your mouth at all.

Whatever you try, give it more than one night. Try each change for at least a week.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'll try setting the humidifier on 4 for a week to see if the higher setting helps (unless you think that is too high).

I looked at the data and for large leak my 7 day average is 4%. This doesn't surprise me because I have been trying the nasal pillows and that's where I have the most leaks. I am back to using the nasal mask.

My large leak 30 day average is 2%.

I am a back sleeper, so it is likely my mouth is dropping open while I am sleeping. I'll go back to using the chinstrap for a week to see if it helps. At least now I know not to tighten it too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's never ending joy, is it not?

I have no clue about leaks. Usually folks spout of numbers like 30mL or something. Percentages I know nothing about.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 09:46 PM)merhaba12 Wrote: Thank you! I will keep you posted.

Zonk - For some crazy reason when I tried lowering my bottom pressure, my AHI's went up dramatically. My AHI's were around 15. It is weird, but when I had it set to 6-18cm, my pressure never went up past 10. Obviously, I needed more pressure. My AHI's went below 5 for the first time after I set it at CPAP 14cm. At 13-15, 95% of the night I am at 14.5 and my AHI's are below 5. At my Split-Night Sleep Study, my pressure was titrated to 14cm.
IMO lower pressure means less side effects so if the machine never went pass 10 than I don,t want to be on any higher pressure. Few things can affect the numbers like sleeping position whether sleeping on the back or on the side and the fact of the matter that the machine don,t know if you,re asleep so it can score an apnea while you,re awake. Numbers are the last piece of the jigsaw so I would concentrate on sleep quality, getting the mask right, leaks under control and eventually AHI numbers would get sorted out.
What I,m trying to say "how you feel" is far more important than numbers and the sign of good therapy is when you wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and well rested but its going to take some time ...maybe weeks or even months.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 09:22 PM)merhaba12 Wrote: When I tried the nasal pillows I had huge leaks. I can't seem to get a tight enough seal without discomfort to my nostrils.

Not all nasal pillows are the same, so you might have better luck with a different type. Also, HPA Lanolin cream is an excellent salve to use in your nostrils to help getter a better seal. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers and can be found in most drug stores.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally had to resort to a full face mask. I tried chin straps, setting the humidity and I even modified a scuba/snorkel mouthpiece to plug the opening and get an airtight mouthpiece.

My latest attempt is to get my dentist to try to modify one of these new custom fitted jaw positioner so that there is not an air opening. This hasn't happened yet.

Still, the air pressure blows the mask off my face if it gets too high. I even set the Resmed to reduce 3 cm on exhale. I will probably drop the max prsure next
Post Reply Post Reply
I know it's early to give you an update on my sleep. I just wanted to add that I went to the DME today to get a NEW machine because they had given me was USED. They gave me the newer PR 560 instead. The RT set the pressures at 8-16. I guess I'll leave it there for a few days to see if at that setting my AHI's are still below 5.

I told the RT about my issue with extremely dry mouth all night long, despite the fact that I am using a chin strap and setting the humidifier at "4." He gave me a Mirage Liberty Hybrid mask. We'll see if it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always had dry lips while sleeping but since using my machine I have developed dry mouth. I do wake up some times feeling like my mouth is full of air when I open my mouth I get a rush of air out. But I have noticed that the dry mouth comes now whenever I sleep with or without the machine, figured that I changed the way I breathe I think I used to use my mouth more and now I think I breathe through my nose 98% of the time. I have tried chin straps and full face masks to no help with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2012, 08:25 PM)jimco1 Wrote: I have always had dry lips while sleeping but since using my machine I have developed dry mouth.

Check your leak rate. If your unintentional leak is very low, and the graph doesn't show any large spikes, then this issue is not affecting your therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 493 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.