Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Positional Apnea and Soft Cervical Collar
Positional Apnea and Soft Cervical Collar
Several years ago, I had a sleep study and was diagnosed with "Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea", with an overall AHI of 36.  During the study, the supine AHI was appx 59, the non-supine AHI was 3, a ratio of almost 20.  So my Apnea was VERY strongly positional.  Initially, I had a lot of trouble getting my AHI under 10; many nights were 15 or higher.  I started reading this forum to discover how people avoided back-sleeping.  I tried several of the suggestions:  large memory-foam pillows to lie against, tennis balls fastened to the back of a snug tee-shirt, etc.  Nothing really worked.  Finally, I got a school backpack, loaded it with light, lumpy items like plastic dog toys, and strapped it on.  BINGO!  My AHI went down well below the target of 5 per hour, and stayed there.  For years now, I have averaged around 0.5.  On occasion it might kick up a little over 1.0, but that is very unusual.  I check the SD card daily, primarily to make sure that the leaks are under good control.

I recently started reading the forum again, and I noticed that the current advice for treating obstructive apnea often includes using a soft cervical collar.  The implication is that tucking one's chin down toward one's chest is bad, leads to airway collapse and obstructive apnea events.  So I thought, maybe this can help me . . . maybe I could stop using this backpack . . . maybe I could sleep on my back again (my body REALLY prefers this position).  So I went out and purchased a cervical collar.

The 1st night, I started off with just the scc, no backpack.  When I woke up to use the washroom, I checked the machine's sleep report:  after about 4.6 hours, my AHI was almost 9 - about ten or more times the usual. Oh-jeez   I finished the night with the backpack, and there was only 1 hypopnea during the remainder of the night.  Since then I have taken to using a scc along with the backpack, and it seems to help reduce the times I wake up with a dry mouth, so I'm happy with that.  

The message I would pass along, is that there are some of us whose Obstructive Apnea is sufficiently positional, that while a cervical collar certainly may prevent chin tucking, this alone may be inadequate to prevent the event clusters that occur when supine.  It may be necessary to employ one of the older techniques to avoid supine sleeping.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Apnea and Soft Cervical Collar
great point. thanks for passing it along. my takaways: while there may be common themes, nothing works quite the same for everyone; getting this treatment down requires a fair bit of trial and error (usually a lot more than we get from the system); and each of us must determine and use whatever works for us.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Apnea and Soft Cervical Collar
(10-26-2019, 12:52 PM)becker44a Wrote: I tried several of the suggestions [in AB Forum]….nothing really worked.  Finally, I got a school backpack [backpack equivalent], loaded it. [….?] I [too] have taken to using a scc along with the backpack, and it seems to help reduce the times I wake up with a dry mouth....  

[….T]here are some of us whose Obstructive Apnea is sufficiently positional, that while a cervical collar certainly may prevent chin tucking, this alone [is] may be inadequate to prevent the event clusters that occur when supine. 
I've reworded a key part of your post to fit almost exactly my own experience and method. Once AHI was mostly below 5.0 RDI ( it was near 60 in 2015) it plateaued thereabouts until my backpack kept me 30 degrees away from supine. Long term, now, it is 0.2 and there have been strings of up to six 0.0 nights and great sleep overall. Many thanks are due AB experts for answers for me and for others, all  of which informed me.
2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 523 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 311 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 499 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 745 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 113 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 530 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 317 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.