Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dumb question, why do people wear cpap to read?
why not just put it on to sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dumb question, why do people wear cpap to read?
First, CPAP can be comfortable and help keep the airway open. Reading and watching TV in bed tends to be done in exactly the posture that can cause obstruction, with the neck flexed, chin tucked toward the chest. CPAP can make breathing in this position less stressful for those prone to positional apnea. Finally, some people just like the pressure. I for one am less congested and find it relaxing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may well depend on your sleep routine whether to wear your mask when you're not sleeping. I suppose you could also get your jollies in it, but that might make for an interesting SleepyHead chart.   Banana 

When you're just getting started, it can be very helpful to watch TV, read a book, or whatever, so you can get used to wearing a mask, develop the muscle memory to find the Start and Stop buttons, figure out how to manage the hose, and get a feel for what happens when you change Optional settings.

I find the CPAP helps me with anxiety. If I get wound up, I can sit for a little spell with an even supply of fresh air at low pressure going into my lungs, using a minimalist mask. It calms me right down. I figured this out on, like, Day One.

Also, it'll be very handy when I have the flu and need a snot blaster. CPAP is very effective at clearing nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kryogen,
If I want to read, I usually get up and go out to the front room and read, then, when I'm finished reading I put my mask on and use my machine and go to sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would wear mine to read to become accustomed to wearing a mask. Now I read first and put the mask on to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often doze off while reading in bed. I wear my CPAP mask while reading to avoid falling asleep without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only did that in the beginning (about a week) to get used to the mask and air pressure.

Now, when I put my mask on, I’m ready for sleep. Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2017, 11:15 AM)big_dave Wrote: I often doze off while reading in bed. I wear my CPAP mask while reading to avoid falling asleep without it.

Exactly - Reading gets me ready to sleep (mostly) and if I stop to get mask on I can wake up just enough to have to start process over.  I prefer reading with mask on and set then can slide into sleep easier.  In addition let’s me work out any minor adjustments to mask. Mask type/design is critical since I wear glasses.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it sooththing. I putiton while watching tv in bed . I have the timer on the tv and i fall asleep this way i don't have to wake up to put it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2017, 11:39 AM)CZOscar Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 11:15 AM)big_dave Wrote: I often doze off while reading in bed. I wear my CPAP mask while reading to avoid falling asleep without it.

Exactly - Reading gets me ready to sleep (mostly) and if I stop to get mask on I can wake up just enough to have to start process over.  I prefer reading with mask on and set then can slide into sleep easier.  In addition let’s me work out any minor adjustments to mask.  Mask type/design is critical since I wear glasses.

Sleep-well

Same here. Reading a few minutes helps me get to sleep faster.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Dumb Question - Just nervous and want some clarification kc90 5 304 02-09-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 291 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 286 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.