Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

dvla/work and sleep apnea
dvla/work and sleep apnea
just looking for some advice regarding informing dvla and work regarding sleep apnea. been using cpap a while but not been told to advise work or dvla. read up about it. very confusing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dvla/work and sleep apnea
Not familiar with the abv: "dvla" .. Maybe expanding your post a bit will bring you some information for you to ponder. ??? arise to me.. Are you required to advise them? What are the repercussions if you don't. Is there a personal liability issue that you might encounter if you don't advise whoever "dvla" is?
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
UK equivalent of the DMV. They are far stricter than the US about medical conditions affecting driving.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2012, 12:30 PM)big_dave Wrote: UK equivalent of the DMV. They are far stricter than the US about medical conditions affecting driving.

Our forum member DreamCatcher lives in the UK... he probably will be on shortly and maybe can offer some advice.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2012, 11:49 AM)revink Wrote: just looking for some advice regarding informing dvla and work regarding sleep apnea. been using cpap a while but not been told to advise work or dvla. read up about it. very confusing

sorry was looking for advice from uk users. but any advice is wecome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Revink and welcome to the forum. Then are a few things you should know. The DVLA will take your licence off you for a period of time untill you are compliant with cpap. I will PM you about this.

When you have your sleep study the hospital will normally contact dvla with a letter but this is not always the case. As for work, it all depends on what you do. I was lucky because my boss has sleep apnea and I made work aware as I drive all kinds of forklifts.

See PM.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Once our equivalent dept (RTA) been notified that I have sleep apnea, they send a form every year to be signed by my doctor that my apnea been treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi revink and Welcome! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
North Carolina's DMV has an odd medical department. Any DMV worker can flag a driver. ANY worker.

Six years ago I went to get my license renewed. I had not rec'd a reminder so it was a month too late. The lady at the desk said that there was a blip in the system and folks with June-Aug birthdates did not get reminders. I was walking with my single crutch and I had my Service Dog with me.

Anyway, got to the next desk and went through the usual questions. Do you use drugs, do you drink, etc etc. He gets to the 'do you have a medical condition that impairs or affects your ability to drive". I said no just like I have for umpteen years.

He just stared at me. I stared back.

Then he says "What is the cane for?" That's how he put it.

I wanted to say "None of your dang business" but I said "I have something like arthritis."

He continues to stare. I stare back. Seriously, we looked at each other for almost a full minute. Then he says "What kind of arthritis?"

I'm really really disturbed at this point. So I give him the scientific answer which of course goes way over his head.

He continues to stare. I stare back. Then he walks away. Finally, he comes back with some papers, talks to someone who looks at me a few times, then he comes back to me. He informs me he has flagged my application and I had to have my doc fill out some forms. Then he hands me a copied page from their manual that says he does not have to take me for the driving part because I have a dog. I say she is not a pet, she is my Service Dog. He says doesn't matter.

I'll spare you the rest but now, every two years, I have to pay for a doc visit and sweet talk the doc into filling this huge stack of forms to fill out. Never does it say what parts the doc needs to fill in. Two years ago, they sent me the same forms (blank) out and said it was not fully completed and the doc had to finish. It did not say what parts were missing. There was no way my doc was going to go through that again so I just gave up. I've been without a license for 2 yrs. I will be going back this week to try again.

Lesson: don't smart off to a DMV worker and always keep things simple in case they don't understand the answer to questions they ask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Im Amazed you controlled yourself so well? How on earth did you manage not to smack him round the chops, or at least feel your cane. Im afraid I would have been round the counter with a "Guide to filing large files via rectum" Too-funny

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, I was on hard times and to cut a large story short the benefits officer had my benefits cheque infront of him in this office but instead of handing it over he thought he'd be funny and post it. I leaned over that desk ..."CENSORED" I spent several hours pacing the cell untill the police told me he had dropped the assualt charge and my cheque was in the post Laugh-a-lot

You see my avatar does fit Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 74 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.