Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ejbpesca - (Therapy Thread) Aerophagia and other questions.
RE: ejbpesca - (Therapy Thread) Aerophagia and other questions.
What about chin-tucking? That can occur even if you aren't on your back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2022, 03:14 PM)Brazen Wrote: What about chin-tucking? That can occur even if you aren't on your back.

I very well could chin tuck.  I have no way to tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the optimizing therapy wiki again about positional apnea.
Suggestions are a soft c-collar or even a travel pillow or bunching blankets up by your chin to keep it from falling forward.
Making sure your pillow isn't too fluffy is also important. 
If you sleep curled up on your side you could very well be tucking your chin.

I'm not an expert so that might not be your issue but it's something to pay attention to.  If you tuck your chin it closes your wind pipe and no pressure changes will make any difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=45151]

Well this is different.  I have never seen a daily report as good as this one.  I believe I did not move from one side position all night.  Sometimes I feel I've been in a wrestling match all night.  EPR at 3 made breathing much easier.  No detectable aerophagia today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you had a good night!!
How have the last few been?
Can you post some screenshots?

FYI, with your min pressure set to 6.6 you are not getting the full benefit of EPR 3.

EPR 3 lowers your expiratory pressure 3cmw but since the machine can only go as low as 4cmw you are really only getting EPR 2.6.

Maybe not a big deal.
Maybe increasing your min to 7 would make your expirations more comfortable. 
I don't believe that change would affect aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
A question about the pressure graph:

The max level of ten is reached quite a bit.  Does this indicate the max level should be raised as the APAP hits the set limit so much?

Another question:

Is having a bad nigh on occasion with AHI 10 to 15, a reason to increase max pressure?  

[attachment=45234]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limit could be driving up your pressure. I would set the pressure min to 9.6 and the max to 12. I'm trying to avoid large pressure differences. Having the pressure range set too wide can cause arousals. Let's see if it hits the maximum with the new settings. Two other possible sources for the bad nights are sleeping on your back or chin tucking.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advice.  My daily reports range from 0 AHI to 18 AHI.  I am attempting to find a happy medium of pressure settings that will not induce aerophagia that came on a couple of months ago after a long illness and weight loss.  No easy task.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Days without good sleep = all day in bed, exhausted.  I seem to be getting therapy for AHIs but at the cost of aerophagia, high acid, and headache.  The aerophagia/acid woke me around 4am today. 

[attachment=45271]

[attachment=45272]

I will reduce the max to 9.6. Hard to believe I had min/max 12-20 for years. This aerophagia is making me quite sick.

Sleeping on left side, no chin tuck apparent. My left arm remains under my chin acting like a cervical collar. I may cannot handle APAP treatment anymore. Like so many other therapies, many years of it may have taken a toll.
Post Reply Post Reply
Red recommended MIN 9.6, MAX 12. 
Try that for a few nights.

Post some of your high AHI nights. 

Seems obvious something has changed for you after years but I don't believe APAP treatment itself "takes a toll".

Have you had a full medical workup for the reflux?

Can you get a continuous o2 monitor?
The headache could be low o2 sats during the night but it could be unrelated.

Have you tried different types of masks?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 206 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 69 9 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 1,004 10 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,335 11 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 382 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,535 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 729 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.