(07-23-2013, 10:26 AM)DreamDiver Wrote: Your power brick is not designed to arrest lightning discharge. A good surge protector is an important part of your CPAP gear, even when you travel. I use one with a six-foot cord and six outlets.
Actually, your power brick is almost certainly designed to help protect you from surges on the power line, whether they come from lightning or other sources. Look at all the safety agency markings on the back of the brick.
However, sometimes lighting will get through any kind of protection you have. The more surge protection you have, the better.
Also, if the power brick stops a surge, it may well "give its life in the process" and burn up some "sacrificial" element in the power supply.
A surge/lightning protector improves the odds the power supply and machine will survive.
Even if you have a whole house protector, put one right at the CPAP machine. It's an extra level of protection and a nearby strike can inductively couple and put a voltage on the wiring within your house. Or some surge may still get through your whole house protector.
If there is enough lighting in the area, I'll turn off the switch on the power strip. Not 100% protection, but improves the odds. Or I'll unplug it for even better odds.
If I'm sleeping and the lightning isn't enough to keep me awake, I'll usually just not worry about it.
Your biggest protection is the insulating gap between you and the CPAP machine. A heated hose reduces this gap, but you've still got a pretty good gap. Also, unless you're touching some other electrical device, you're fairly well insulated from ground while sleeping. Even if the voltage got through the CPAP machine to you, it still has to find a path to ground. Your bed is probably a fairly good insulator.
You're really unlikely to get shocked by lightning through a CPAP. However, lightning can always decide to bypass the house wiring come through the window and strike you directly. Proper equipment design simply improves the odds.