Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

erratic vs calm oxygen waveform
erratic vs calm oxygen waveform

I am very curious to know what exactly is happening on the calm portion of the oxygen waveform.

I assume the calm part, which is in stark contract to the erratic part, is when you are asleep?

Or is it a particular part of your sleep cycle? e.g. REM, SWS etc?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: erratic vs calm oxygen waveform
There definitely seems to be a correlation with rem sleep and in the case of the beginning you are awake. There may possibly be periods of apnea/hyponea as well.

Rem sleep occurs in a periodic nature roughly every 90 minutes and usually gets longer as the night goes on. This pattern fits pretty well with that. There seems to be a bit more rem sleep than I would expect(I believe average is around 25%) though so some might also be due to arousals and periods of being awake or periods of disordered breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
These are just reports on your O2 saturation levels and your respiration rate. Did you have a full sleep study? If so, do you have the full report? The two variables here might change for all kinds of reasons. You’d need to see more information to know why some periods were “calm.”
Post Reply Post Reply
The calm periods are what normal good quality sleep/breathing looks like. Rem will always mess with it a bit but other periods of sleep should be fairly smooth. 

I assume you are trying to figure out if you may have sleep disordered breathing. If so I would say you should get checked as there is an indication of it.

For reference here are three of my oximetry reports. One without CPAP and two with CPAP. The one without CPAP you can see breathing is a little rougher and it is easy to see my rem periods, one of the CPAP ones was a good night with low AHI nice CPAP OSCAR data and a nice smooth SPO2 graph, one of the other CPAP ones was a poorer CPAP night (by my standards, my AHI etc is never bad) and you can see it is only minorly better than the night without CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks... your patterns seem much more uniform, where as mine seem to alternate between two extremes, which is interesting. I assume these black marks above the waveform indicate derangements - and I note there is never any derangements during the "calm" periods... so why is that? Are apneas impossible during this phase of sleep for some reason?

(I don't have a full sleep study, so this is just a pulse oximeter)
Post Reply Post Reply
You have five threads here with the same question since June of last year.  Actually, the chart you posted in this thread is from June, 2019.

Maybe it's time to schedule an overnight sleep study.  If no insurance, it's easy enough to schedule an in home study.  

It's not always possible to tell if you have Sleep Apnea just from the Oximetry report. Consider getting the study done and have peace of mind.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
damn, a jobsworth. like i said i have appt next week. don't need insurance as i don't live in a third world country  Bigwink

i would wager a lot of people on here would know more than a GP about this stuff so it would be good to get an understanding before i go in, but i guess discussion is forbidden. not even trying to determine if i have apnea with this topic, was trying to understand what the peaceful sections of the waveform actually were.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your ODI(oxygen desaturation event) in that oximetry test was 21.3. ODI is often similar to AHI although it can fluctuate, I am guessing you will be diagnosed with mild to moderate OSA.

Your oxygen levels fall to 84% agreeing with potential diagnosis of mild to moderate OSA. This is a bad drop compared to some but it is enough to get an idea of potential issue.

There isn't that much to tell from the data, mostly just that there is indication of some sleep disordered breathing and possibly worse/exaggerated in rem sleep like majority of people.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2020, 10:00 AM)Geer1 Wrote: Your ODI(oxygen desaturation event) in that oximetry test was 21.3. ODI is often similar to AHI although it can fluctuate, I am guessing you will be diagnosed with mild to moderate OSA.

Your oxygen levels fall to 84% agreeing with potential diagnosis of mild to moderate OSA. This is a bad drop compared to some but it is enough to get an idea of potential issue.

There isn't that much to tell from the data, mostly just that there is indication of some sleep disordered breathing and possibly worse/exaggerated in rem sleep like majority of people.

Thanks for the reply... I did an pulse oximeter while I was awake that actually has a higher index than this one I posted here Huh

Is that not weird??
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I did an pulse oximeter while I was awake that actually has a higher index than this one I posted here

About 1/2 of people with atrial fibrillation also have sleep apnea. 
There is also a very long list of other illnesses as well that are commonly found with sleep apnea. 
Your pulse oximetry report basically says 'this needs further investigation and testing as to possible causes'.
A pulse oximeter isn't a very good EKG or EEG or ECG.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 378 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 334 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 816 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 604 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 1,013 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  Erratic flow rate jsmdz 0 278 01-27-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: jsmdz
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 290 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.