Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

events, alcohol, coffee and masks
events, alcohol, coffee and masks
hi there...

in second week of transition from CPAP to ASV...I have a few relatively minor issues, no really...:-)

Events and Alcohol: During the second half of my night's "sleep" I am prone to events, for about 2 - 3 hours, usually starting after about 3 hours of sleep, wondering if these are caused by early evening alcohol consumption, maybe a beer, or 6 oz of wine, before 6pm. I am usually asleep by 10pm, and like clockwork I start to have events clustered from 1 - 3am ish. I do not know how to calculate sleep cycles, is that even possible, but could that small amount of alcohol cause this??

Coffee: I love my morning coffee, two 6oz cups only, but I am concerned that even that small amount is causing my morning foggy headedness and weakness, adrenal burnout?? The effect wears off in a few hours, but I am thinking that I may be allergic to morning coffee, please say it isn't so...lol.

Masks: Still trying to find a mask that will work for me. Trying the Nuance Pro Pillow mask, almost works but leaks on high pressures, and am trying the Mirage FX nasal mask, works beautifully except that it gave me a lovely wound next to my nose, still healing. I will work through those issues with these masks; my question is, when switching from one mask to the other, I have to adjust pressures, or rather the pressure seems more intense with the pillows and I feel I "should" adjust the pressure down. Any one else had this experience??

Thanks for any replies,

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: events, alchohol, coffee and masks
I doubt a beer or a little wine would be causing you issues at 3:00 am Story. Most likely these are related to normal sleep activities. Also remember it's not about being perfect, but about developing a nice consistent sleep period with, or in spite of, a few events. Even "normal" people have a few events once in awhile.

As to the coffee creating a problem? NOT. Do not go there. Permission not granted. Mother did not hear you say "May I."

Masks and pressure? My feeling is that in many people the same result can be achieved at a lower pressure with a pillows mask. When I converted from the FFM early in my career, my pressure came down about 3 points. Now, I did not have a lot of history with the FFM, and others may have a different experience. After all, everyone's different. Except for me of course. I'm not different. I'm the same.

Have a nice night Story.
Post Reply Post Reply
Allergic to coffee? No such thing!!

If you change mask types (ie from FFM to pillows and so on) you need to change a setting on the machine. I don't think the pressure changes though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people who have switched from another type of mask to a nasal pillows mask have reported that their pressure requirements reduced significantly.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If there is an allergy to coffee, someone will make a pill for that and get very rich. I'm with the troops on alcohol consumption. Although I have cut way back since starting therapy I still knock back a jack or two after dinner.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the replies...I will keep working on my SDB/sleep quality and not be concerned about events....unless its a party..:-)

thanks again...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: events, alcohol, coffee and masks
(05-26-2015, 09:45 PM)storywizard Wrote: I am usually asleep by 10pm, and like clockwork I start to have events clustered from 1 - 3am ish. I do not know how to calculate sleep cycles, is that even possible, ...

Coffee: I love my morning coffee, two 6oz cups only, but I am concerned that even that small amount is causing my morning foggy headedness and weakness, adrenal burnout?? The effect wears off in a few hours, but I am thinking that I may be allergic to morning coffee, please say it isn't so...lol.

Masks: Still trying to find a mask that will work for me. Trying the Nuance Pro Pillow mask, almost works but leaks on high pressures, and am trying the Mirage FX nasal mask, works beautifully except that it gave me a lovely wound next to my nose, still healing. I will work through those issues with these masks; my question is, when switching from one mask to the other, I have to adjust pressures, or rather the pressure seems more intense with the pillows and I feel I "should" adjust the pressure down. Any one else had this experience?.

I very regularly wake up at one and about 3:00 - 3:30. This is been going on for more than a year . So I don't think it has anything to do with alcohol. I think it just means you entered REM sleep and are having troubles. Coffee is easy to check. Give it up for three weeks. If no change it's not the coffee . I'm a newbie so can't really help you with mask issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 12:20 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Coffee is easy to check. Give it up for three weeks.

OH NO, MR. BILL! That wouldn't be something I could do! Give up food for three weeks. Give up tv for three weeks. Give up shaving and showering for three weeks. (provided Mrs. R_G is out of town, that is). Give up bacon for three weeks. But couldn't give up coffee for three weeks. That just wouldn't be right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto...retired_guy,
I tried to give up coffee once, had constant headaches and took a lot of Tylenol to try and get through it. It the end, I deceided that Coffee was better than Tylenol.
Mornincoffee
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Giving up coffee is borderline insanity.

I wake up usually around 130-2am to use the restroom before and after cpap, but less so since cpap. It's probably the fact that i drink a lot of water before I go to bed. I also drink coffee and espresso regularly during the day and occasionally alcohol with dinner too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 65 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 9 223 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 227 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 725 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 315 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.