Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

events per night
events per night
Hi, newbie here Smile I've just started using a bi-pap a couple months ago. well actually I used one for a few years then stopped for a year.   I have the ResMed A10 Series.  I have been getting events per night ranging from 70 to 92. I was wondering what they should actually be in the range of?  Thanks 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: events per night
That is excessive, and suggests an AHI over 10. Efficacy is normally AHI less than 5, and most of us shoot for considerably less. Down load the free #Sleepyhead software. It's a lot easier to use and understand than Resscan. Instructions for organizing and attaching charts are in My signature links. That will give us the information needed to get you on track.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded and installed the sleephead software as you suggested. downloaded the info from my bi-pap card. first thing it told me was my AHI is horrible and to call the doctor. lol   What would you like me to screenshot and post here??  look forward to hearing your thoughts of my reports.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. The instructions for how to organize and post sleepyhead data are in the links below.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 11:25 PM)Kacie Wrote: Hi, newbie here Smile I've just started using a bi-pap a couple months ago. well actually I used one for a few years then stopped for a year.   I have the ResMed A10 Series.  I have been getting events per night ranging from 70 to 92. I was wondering what they should actually be in the range of?  Thanks 

I have the same machine as you. I had two sleep study tests done at a sleep clinic. The first test was done w/o using a CPAP. My events were 70 times per hour during regular sleep and 60 times per hour during REM sleep. 

When I went back for my second sleep test, I was on a machine. My events dropped down to below 10 I believe. 

I've had my own CPAP now since Sept. 10. The first night of use, my event # was 4.4. That was the highest so far. I've had as low as 0.5 numerous times. It now averages about 2.3 mostly. 

When I picked up my CPAP, the resp. therapist said they should be below 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had 3 sleep studies done this past time. they just keep dragging me back. haha.  the issue now is that my doctor wants my settings at 12/19 and the equipment company Medcare claims my machine can't do 12.  I have the ResMed AirCurve 10VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is 2 of the grafts sleepyhead shows me..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There it is! You need the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV to treat your central apnea. I'm sure your sleep tests have detected central apnea, and the ASV is the best way to treat it. Your clinic knows this, and your doctor should know. Ask your doctor when he is going to put you on ASV.

This link is the Sleep Lab Titration Guide. The ASV is described on page 28. Read this, and show it to your doctor if he seems unaware of what to do. You may need to find a doctor competent in the treatment of central and complex sleep apnea. You do not have obstructive sleep apnea and must have a bilevel with backup rate. The ASV applies higher pressure when you don't take a breath causing your lungs to inflate. You failed CPAP, and are seriously intolerant of bilevel VPAP. This is the normal sequence, now contact your doctor to day for a referral for ASV titration.

To reduce these events, you must go back to CPAP pressure where IPAP and EPAP are the same. At the very least, reduce IPAP from 19 to 14. In most. cases lower pressure is better. Have you ever tried fixed CPAP pressure at 8.0 cm? FWIW, the Vauto can be set to EPAP 12, and your DME should be reporting this central apnea problem to the doctor rather than just being incompetent. Again, please call your doctor's office and report that your central apnea index alone is over 36 events per hour. With results like this you should probably discontinue use of the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider;

Wow now to figure a way to take what you've told me to Medcare and my doctor. I have pulmonary Doc.  I had the cheapo c-pap that is the step below what I have now. the insurance wouldn't allow for this new one until I proved that the cheaper wouldn't work.  Not sure what the settings were on it. I'm considering going into the settings tonight to see if I can change to what you recommend, just for the night to see how the events change.   

Thank you for this great advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
I read about the ASV machine and plan to take it to my doctor.  One thing I learned while reading how it treats and the reasons for I thought I should mention a little about my history.  I am living with cancer. In reality I could live for 3 years, maybe 20 years. But because of the pain I deal with I am on heavy Pain meds. Both Oxycontine and Dilaudid. That article mentioned that the ASV machine is very important for people on pain drugs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 350 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 266 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.