Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"expiration" apneas?
"expiration" apneas?
I apne at the beginning of an expiration, which is rare I believe. After a night at the hospital on a machine I was programmed at pressure 8 (and a sleeping pill). The next day I was very very bloated and swollen - painful to say the least! and tight in the chest and neck, sort of like a heart problem.
Next night t'was worse as I didn't take a sleeping pill. though I did see a cardiologist and all is well.
Me and my machine traped back to the "sleep doctor" where I insisted on a minimum pressure - 4 -! He was a sweetie to let me try out my own instinct!
That was just as bad, more apnea ( but less gas ).
Actually my head feels as if it were to pop off, too much pressure.
Have any of you encountered this sort of problem?
Barely starting and ready to give up already!
I really would appreciate and help with this.
Thank you
nevada from belgium
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "expiration" apneas?
I feel your pain. I'm about 45 days into treatment. I started out with a CPAP pressure of 13 and had the same problems you are you complaining about. I stuck with and saw my sleep doc at the end of 30 days. She said give it two more weeks and then let her and if the problem continues, she'd switch me to APAP and adjust the pressures. After about 10 days I switched my machine to auto and set the pressure to 7-15. She had told me the maximum pressure would be higher than the 13 I was currently on if she switched me to auto. After about two weeks on auto, my highest pressure has only been 11 and that was just one time. Most of the time 10 is as high as it gets. So seems the 13 first prescribed was too high.

After 3 weeks on auto, I still have some of the problems you are experiencing but not as near as severe as before. Some of the long time users can weigh in, but I think it's something you just deal with until it finally goes away. I've not been able to find a solution from searching the Internet other than it just takes time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, gas in the stomach (there's an official name for it that I can never spell) is quite common both in the beginning and whenever pressure is changed.

Found the word: Aerophagia. Do a search for it on this forum and you'll find tons of info.

When my pressure was last upped, I would sit up in the morning and belch the alphabet. The dogs thought it was quite fun.

Did the same thing when I got my new machine which made me think my old one was no longer accurate.

Typically, it can last anywhere from a few days to several weeks.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd guess a lot of the people here have experienced it at some point or another. I didn't, when I first started therapy, but did after a few weeks. When I started, I hadn't had a titration study, yet, so they put me on an APAP machine, set (eventually) at 12 to 20. My 95th % ran about 18. After a few weeks, they reprogrammed the machine to CPAP mode at 16. And *then* I started to have problems. Hence my utter, implacable insistence that my final machine be an APAP. I can rely on it to deliver the pressure I need...when I need it. And not inflate me when I don't need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2012, 12:02 PM)nevadapam Wrote: The next day I was very very bloated and swollen - painful to say the least!

These are symptoms of aerophagia, along with belching and farting. I had it so bad my doctor prescribed a BiPAP, and even then it took a while for it to go away.

Try tucking your chin against your chest, which will pinch off the esophogus and prevent the air from being pushed into your stomach. This can be accomplished by putting an extra pillow under your head while sleeping on your back. Or you can sleep on your side and intentionally tuck your chin against your chest.

This worked for me. Others report that doing just the opposite helps. They purposely prevent their neck from bending so that the airway to the lungs remains open and unrestricted so that the air will enter your lungs instead of your stomach. They sleep with a wedge to elevate their head and keep their neck straight.

The good news is that this is a temporary condition that will subside with time. You just have to be patient and get through it. But you do need to communicate your symptoms to your doctor.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nevadapam
Some members find sleeping with no pillow or using a flatter pillow did the trick and worked for them
Which PR System One using if it,s not the Plus model than you can download SleepyHead software from this board.
These topics may help:

Swallowing Air; New Bipap User Having Trouble With Bloating
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...aerophagia

Aerophagia
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...aerophagia

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 591 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 264 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.