Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
eye problems
OK, I know what it feels like to get a leak that shoots air at your eye. There was even a scary thread here the other day that indicated "scraping" was in order for someone who had a severe eye leak issue (shudder).

It seems to happen to me, only rarely. But I think I always catch that and deal; but then maybe not, maybe I am too far under to catch it on occasion:

Three times since I have been on xPAP I wake up with one eye blurry, and it seems to be some cloudy protoplasm that generated overnight and is sitting on my eyeball, possibly in response to irritation FROM A MASK LEAK. Not fun.

Has anyone experienced this? Do we think mask leaks are the culprit here?
01-27-2015 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sex: Male

RE: eye problems
Take a look at some of these hits and see if you think the retrograde air flow through your nasolacrimal duct might be the problem.

Google Hits
01-27-2015 10:39 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

Surferdude2,
I've been on CPAP since end of October, 2014. Also experiencing eye problems not exactly like Tyroneshoes, but have red itchy eyes . I can feel the air pressure from my mask hitting my eyes,
but am confused by the fact that the vent to diffuse air is at the bottom of the nasal pillow mask and I should not be feeling this in my eyes. I checked out the Google Hits link you left for Tyrone, and it seems possible that the air can also enter up through nose to sinus and eye duct area. I also use eye gels at night, but doesn't help.
Wondering if anyone else has eye issues! Blink

OpalRose
01-28-2015 08:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Hi roe1549,

FWIW, my level of pressure tolerance versus eye irritation seems to be about 15 cm H2O. Anything above that and I get uncomfortable symptoms such as sticky eyelids and mucous in my eyes upon arising. Below that pressure, I get those symptoms but not at a bothersome level. I'm dead sure that the mask is not leaking so it looks like the air is backing up through the tear ducts (nasolacrimal ducts) and causing the problem. I'm not bothered by it to the extent of seeking professional help but I can imagine how it could be a serious problem in some cases. I have read horror stories that tell about users who have had their eyes dry out so bad that an eyelid was stuck to the eyeball!

I wonder if others here are having that at some level and have any advice as to how to treat it. I use non medicated eye drops to wash away the clouds and that works well enough for me. I don't think medicated eye drops are good for long term usage so I avoid those.

edit: I think a good test might be to use some sort of physical barrier, such as goggles or a cloth eye patch, to make certain the air wasn't from a mask leak and leave no doubt as to the nasolacrimal duct being the path. I haven't taken it to that level yet.

Best regards,

Dude
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 10:14 AM by surferdude2.)
01-28-2015 10:10 AM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

And if those eye problems aren't enough, now I find there is a possibility of vertigo from cpap usage. It seems that the duct (eustachian tube) connecting the inner ear (semi circular canal) to the nasal passage can allow cpap to displace some tiny crystalline particles (otoliths) and cause symptoms of vertigo. And yes, I have that too and have learned not to jump right out of bed and expect to be able to stand without falling into the furniture. Been there, done that and have a large piece of flesh dislodged on my arm to prove it. At my age, any sliding pressure doesn't make a simple bruise like it did years ago, it frees the upper dermis from the second layer and looks like a ghastly wound. Bleeds like hell for a while too.

It seems there is no end to the demons that can pile on when applying pressure as we must do for therapy. Fix one thing and get another, it's like a medical "buy one, get one free" sale. BOGO at it's worse.

Best regards,

Dude
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 11:32 AM by surferdude2.)
01-28-2015 11:20 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

(01-28-2015 10:10 AM)surferdude2 Wrote:  Hi roe1549,

FWIW, my level of pressure tolerance versus eye irritation seems to be about 15 cm H2O. Anything above that and I get uncomfortable symptoms such as sticky eyelids and mucous in my eyes upon arising. Below that pressure, I get those symptoms but not at a bothersome level. I'm dead sure that the mask is not leaking so it looks like the air is backing up through the tear ducts (nasolacrimal ducts) and causing the problem. I'm not bothered by it to the extent of seeking professional help but I can imagine how it could be a serious problem in some cases. I have read horror stories that tell about users who have had their eyes dry out so bad that an eyelid was stuck to the eyeball!

I wonder if others here are having that at some level and have any advice as to how to treat it. I use non medicated eye drops to wash away the clouds and that works well enough for me. I don't think medicated eye drops are good for long term usage so I avoid those.

edit: I think a good test might be to use some sort of physical barrier, such as goggles or a cloth eye patch, to make certain the air wasn't from a mask leak and leave no doubt as to the nasolacrimal duct being the path. I haven't taken it to that level yet.

Best regards,

Dude

Actually Dude, I just order an eye mask from Amazon, and when it comes and I've had a chance to use it a few days, I will repost. I have had issues with the P10 leaking, but I'm pretty sure I have resolved those issues. I also do a mask fit check every night and again if I have to get up before going back to bed. I also use non medicated eye drops, but they are not long lasting. Hoping it's not a tear duct problem, because I don't want to have to deal with an eye doctor unless I have to.
Us hose heads have enough to deal with every night! Bed

OpalRose
01-28-2015 11:28 AM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Thanks, I'll look for your follow up and hope you turn out for the best.

Dude
01-28-2015 11:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

(01-28-2015 11:20 AM)surferdude2 Wrote:  And if those eye problems aren't enough, now I find there is a possibility of vertigo from cpap usage. It seems that the duct (eustachian tube) connecting the inner ear (semi circular canal) to the nasal passage can allow cpap to displace some tiny crystalline particles (otoliths) and cause symptoms of vertigo. And yes, I have that too and have learned not to jump right out of bed and expect to be able to stand without falling into the furniture. Been there, done that and have a large piece of flesh dislodged on my arm to prove it. At my age, any sliding pressure doesn't make a simple bruise like it did years ago, it frees the upper dermis from the second layer and looks like a ghastly wound. Bleed like hell for a while too.

It seems there is no end to the demons that can pile on when applying pressure as we must do for therapy. Fix one thing and get another, it's like a medical "buy one, get one free" sale. BOGO at it's worse.

Best regards,

Dude

Dude, just read your second post. I have had vertigo over the years. Comes and goes, but haven't experienced it since starting CPAP. Hopefully you don't get a BOGO!

Be well! Coffee

OpalRose
01-28-2015 11:35 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

superdude2,

Yesterday, archangel posted about using an Oracle CPAP Mask for ear and eye problems, if interested.

OpalRose
01-28-2015 11:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

I have had bouts of vertigo (before CPAP). psuedephed {sp} and keeping hydrated both helps clear it. but wondering if new symptom has some relationship to vertigo.

Since using CPAP (almost 3 months) I have felt much more alert and energetic. BUT, have missed doorways and cabinets at the house by just a cm or two. I swear that doors and walls moved. just enough to whack an elbow or jam a finger, narrowly miss dropping a glass, knocking over the salt shaker. Dang. I don't think I slept through this, and am just noticing it more. I think it is happening more.

Anybody else have those experiences?

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
01-28-2015 12:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie with Smart Card Reader Problems MissSnuffleupagus 3 153 12-01-2016 09:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Occasional problems with exhale relief function SLongridge 1 265 10-24-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Dry Mouth Problems - How to Fix? mjt57 11 1,281 10-13-2016 11:58 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Health] CPAP induced heart problems Rcgop 9 559 10-12-2016 07:08 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  [CPAP] Cpap air problems Okhusker 4 368 08-31-2016 11:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Sad problems kiwidreamNz 12 705 08-28-2016 07:20 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  early morning leakage problems jxyzobrien 1 320 08-17-2016 07:11 AM
Last Post: icyura10