Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

eye problems
eye problems
OK, I know what it feels like to get a leak that shoots air at your eye. There was even a scary thread here the other day that indicated "scraping" was in order for someone who had a severe eye leak issue (shudder).

It seems to happen to me, only rarely. But I think I always catch that and deal; but then maybe not, maybe I am too far under to catch it on occasion:

Three times since I have been on xPAP I wake up with one eye blurry, and it seems to be some cloudy protoplasm that generated overnight and is sitting on my eyeball, possibly in response to irritation FROM A MASK LEAK. Not fun.

Has anyone experienced this? Do we think mask leaks are the culprit here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: eye problems
Take a look at some of these hits and see if you think the retrograde air flow through your nasolacrimal duct might be the problem.

Google Hits

Post Reply Post Reply
Surferdude2,
I've been on CPAP since end of October, 2014. Also experiencing eye problems not exactly like Tyroneshoes, but have red itchy eyes . I can feel the air pressure from my mask hitting my eyes,
but am confused by the fact that the vent to diffuse air is at the bottom of the nasal pillow mask and I should not be feeling this in my eyes. I checked out the Google Hits link you left for Tyrone, and it seems possible that the air can also enter up through nose to sinus and eye duct area. I also use eye gels at night, but doesn't help.
Wondering if anyone else has eye issues! Blink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi roe1549,

FWIW, my level of pressure tolerance versus eye irritation seems to be about 15 cm H2O. Anything above that and I get uncomfortable symptoms such as sticky eyelids and mucous in my eyes upon arising. Below that pressure, I get those symptoms but not at a bothersome level. I'm dead sure that the mask is not leaking so it looks like the air is backing up through the tear ducts (nasolacrimal ducts) and causing the problem. I'm not bothered by it to the extent of seeking professional help but I can imagine how it could be a serious problem in some cases. I have read horror stories that tell about users who have had their eyes dry out so bad that an eyelid was stuck to the eyeball!

I wonder if others here are having that at some level and have any advice as to how to treat it. I use non medicated eye drops to wash away the clouds and that works well enough for me. I don't think medicated eye drops are good for long term usage so I avoid those.

edit: I think a good test might be to use some sort of physical barrier, such as goggles or a cloth eye patch, to make certain the air wasn't from a mask leak and leave no doubt as to the nasolacrimal duct being the path. I haven't taken it to that level yet.

Best regards,

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
And if those eye problems aren't enough, now I find there is a possibility of vertigo from cpap usage. It seems that the duct (eustachian tube) connecting the inner ear (semi circular canal) to the nasal passage can allow cpap to displace some tiny crystalline particles (otoliths) and cause symptoms of vertigo. And yes, I have that too and have learned not to jump right out of bed and expect to be able to stand without falling into the furniture. Been there, done that and have a large piece of flesh dislodged on my arm to prove it. At my age, any sliding pressure doesn't make a simple bruise like it did years ago, it frees the upper dermis from the second layer and looks like a ghastly wound. Bleeds like hell for a while too.

It seems there is no end to the demons that can pile on when applying pressure as we must do for therapy. Fix one thing and get another, it's like a medical "buy one, get one free" sale. BOGO at it's worse.

Best regards,

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2015, 10:10 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: Hi roe1549,

FWIW, my level of pressure tolerance versus eye irritation seems to be about 15 cm H2O. Anything above that and I get uncomfortable symptoms such as sticky eyelids and mucous in my eyes upon arising. Below that pressure, I get those symptoms but not at a bothersome level. I'm dead sure that the mask is not leaking so it looks like the air is backing up through the tear ducts (nasolacrimal ducts) and causing the problem. I'm not bothered by it to the extent of seeking professional help but I can imagine how it could be a serious problem in some cases. I have read horror stories that tell about users who have had their eyes dry out so bad that an eyelid was stuck to the eyeball!

I wonder if others here are having that at some level and have any advice as to how to treat it. I use non medicated eye drops to wash away the clouds and that works well enough for me. I don't think medicated eye drops are good for long term usage so I avoid those.

edit: I think a good test might be to use some sort of physical barrier, such as goggles or a cloth eye patch, to make certain the air wasn't from a mask leak and leave no doubt as to the nasolacrimal duct being the path. I haven't taken it to that level yet.

Best regards,

Dude

Actually Dude, I just order an eye mask from Amazon, and when it comes and I've had a chance to use it a few days, I will repost. I have had issues with the P10 leaking, but I'm pretty sure I have resolved those issues. I also do a mask fit check every night and again if I have to get up before going back to bed. I also use non medicated eye drops, but they are not long lasting. Hoping it's not a tear duct problem, because I don't want to have to deal with an eye doctor unless I have to.
Us hose heads have enough to deal with every night! Bed
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll look for your follow up and hope you turn out for the best.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2015, 11:20 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: And if those eye problems aren't enough, now I find there is a possibility of vertigo from cpap usage. It seems that the duct (eustachian tube) connecting the inner ear (semi circular canal) to the nasal passage can allow cpap to displace some tiny crystalline particles (otoliths) and cause symptoms of vertigo. And yes, I have that too and have learned not to jump right out of bed and expect to be able to stand without falling into the furniture. Been there, done that and have a large piece of flesh dislodged on my arm to prove it. At my age, any sliding pressure doesn't make a simple bruise like it did years ago, it frees the upper dermis from the second layer and looks like a ghastly wound. Bleed like hell for a while too.

It seems there is no end to the demons that can pile on when applying pressure as we must do for therapy. Fix one thing and get another, it's like a medical "buy one, get one free" sale. BOGO at it's worse.

Best regards,

Dude

Dude, just read your second post. I have had vertigo over the years. Comes and goes, but haven't experienced it since starting CPAP. Hopefully you don't get a BOGO!

Be well! Coffee
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
superdude2,

Yesterday, archangel posted about using an Oracle CPAP Mask for ear and eye problems, if interested.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had bouts of vertigo (before CPAP). psuedephed {sp} and keeping hydrated both helps clear it. but wondering if new symptom has some relationship to vertigo.

Since using CPAP (almost 3 months) I have felt much more alert and energetic. BUT, have missed doorways and cabinets at the house by just a cm or two. I swear that doors and walls moved. just enough to whack an elbow or jam a finger, narrowly miss dropping a glass, knocking over the salt shaker. Dang. I don't think I slept through this, and am just noticing it more. I think it is happening more.

Anybody else have those experiences?
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,843 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,568 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 999 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.