Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

failed first attempt, trying again
RE: failed first attempt, trying again
Tired, Tired, Tired

I would definitely recommend the Serta memory foam mattresses. They call them the I-comfort mattresses. The smaller mattresses are definitely cheaper than the king.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a terrible time with my cpap machine because my mouth would drop open when I slept, make the mask leak and wake me up many times a night. I tried 4 different masks, 2 different chin straps and taping my mouth shut. The tape is the only thing that worked but removing it made my skin sore. I quit using my machine for several months until I learned that sleep apnea is dangerous and progressive. I have piled up quite a sleep deficit but I understand that it can be paid back although it may take several weeks of good sleep. So, I tried again with my cpap about a week ago.

My solution is to sleep in a recliner and use an athletic type, one-piece head band without much stretch as a chin strap. I put it on over the headgear, straps etc. before I attach the tubing. So far so good with both the Phillips Wisp and ResMed Quattro FX for Her. I will also try it with the new Phillips Amara View which is the last mask I bought.

The one drawback is that it is not a pretty sight but then I don't thinks that any of the masks, straps etc. are pretty even without chin straps. Hope this helps someone else. I'll do my best to answer any questions. Good luck!
[/quote]
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2016, 05:08 PM)Easy Breathy Wrote: I had a terrible time with my cpap machine because my mouth would drop open when I slept, make the mask leak and wake me up many times a night. I tried 4 different masks, 2 different chin straps and taping my mouth shut.

Have you tried a full face mask?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Quattro FX for Her is full face. My problem was not being able to keep my mouth shut after I fell asleep.

Looks like a truncated version of my post appeared after the full post which is
3 paragraphs long.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Post Reply Post Reply
Easy Breathy,

All I have been able to find is the "truncated" version of your post. So what you are saying is that your mouth falls open and that causes leaks with the full face mask? Do the leaks occur at the bottom portion of the mask?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a copy of my first post:

Quote:RE: failed first attempt, trying again
I had a terrible time with my cpap machine because my mouth would drop open when I slept, make the mask leak and wake me up many times a night. I tried 4 different masks, 2 different chin straps and taping my mouth shut. The tape is the only thing that worked but removing it made my skin sore. I quit using my machine for several months until I learned that sleep apnea is dangerous and progressive. I have piled up quite a sleep deficit but I understand that it can be paid back although it may take several weeks of good sleep. So, I tried again with my cpap about a week ago.

My solution is to sleep in a recliner and use an athletic type, one-piece head band without much stretch as a chin strap. I put it on over the headgear, straps etc. before I attach the tubing. So far so good with both the Phillips Wisp and ResMed Quattro FX for Her. I will also try it with the new Phillips Amara View which is the last mask I bought.

The one drawback is that it is not a pretty sight but then I don't thinks that any of the masks, straps etc. are pretty even without chin straps. Hope this helps someone else. I'll do my best to answer any questions. Good luck!
I have solved my problem and was just hoping to help someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Easy Breathy,
Your original first post is above. (See post #12)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As much as I want my wife in the same bed with me it has not worked. I need my sleep even if it is not that good. I sleep better after getting adjusted to being alone in bed. But I miss her. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
A foam mattress will also help if you end up in the same bedroom at some point.

Have you seen the commercials where they put a glass of wine on one side of the mattress, jump up and down on the other side, and the wine glass doesn't fall over?
That might be a little bit of a stretch, but it is representative of the movement isolation.

My wife would kick at the covers if she got hot in the middle of the night, and the first few kicks usually weren't enough, so it went on for a bit. It would make the bed start shaking longways from top to bottom. The shaking would wake me up, then I couldn't get back to sleep. With the foam mattress, the bed doesn't shake anymore.

We got ours on Amazon pretty reasonably priced. Shipped to the house in a rolled up vacuum pack. Queen runs about $250-$300. King $400-$550. Free shipping.

- The 10" king we got is a little softer:
"DuoComfort Design – Classic Comfort Top Layer (3 in. SureTemp Memory Foam); Deep Support Bottom Layer (7 in. Support-Plus Foam)"
It went on top of the old box springs.

- The 12" queen I thought would be even softer, but it's actually harder, almost too hard:
''One 3.5" layer of Memory Foam on top followed by a 8.5" layer of high density foam, the Memory Foam molds to the body's natural shape"
It got a new higher frame, and we did away with the box springs. "SmartBase Mattress Foundation"

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Humid failed ? tpm1952 6 550 11-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? FLsleeper7 34 17,446 09-16-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: cparias
  Failed Cpap and Bipap, would love some help with Oscar info! Ryanns 2 649 09-01-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  AS11 failed to write data last night Millstone50 1 665 02-03-2022, 04:07 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  After Four Failed Machines it is Clear - RESMED SUCKS Akhenaten33 24 3,893 10-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: FLcracker
  Pulse-ox finger probe failed cathyf 3 716 10-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: cathyf
Question Philips machine failed within 4 years. Is this normal? astraith 4 821 03-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Canuck 2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.