Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
falling asleep without CPAP
When I fall asleep without my pap, I feel really bad for several hours. I feel short of breath, nervous, nauseated, and tremulous for 3-4 hours. Is there anyone who can explain why I feel so bad for so long, and does anyone else have this kind of experience?
thanks
03-24-2015 11:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
multime Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips respironics system one
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed quattro fx
Humidifier: part of system one
CPAP Pressure: 8 (repeat study needed)
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: falling asleep without CPAP
I've felt the same way at times but not every time I fall asleep without cpap. I never could figure out a reason for this. It could be that you got a few hours of very bad sleep plus got hot under your covers. This for me has been the biggest reason for feeling that way but again not all the time just most.

Sorry for the long run on sentence and that I couldn't help you more. Sometimes things just are what they are sadly.
03-25-2015 01:57 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(03-24-2015 11:27 PM)ppowers Wrote:  When I fall asleep without my pap, I feel really bad for several hours. I feel short of breath, nervous, nauseated, and tremulous for 3-4 hours. Is there anyone who can explain why I feel so bad for so long, and does anyone else have this kind of experience?
thanks

Hi ppowers,
I guess my question is: Why do you fall alsleep without your CPAP?
If you felt bad before CPAP Therapy, which I'm sure you did, or you wouldn't be on CPAP; then your certainly going to feel bad if you decide not to use it for any reason.
Don't take a nap without it, and don't travel without it. Those Apneas are going untreated if your not hooked up to CPAP.
You need to start thinking of your machine as a part of you.
OpalRose

OpalRose
03-25-2015 08:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
truetopath Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR system one 560p auto with a flex
Mask Make & Model: Resumed F10
Humidifier: PR system one
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

I would guess it's a shock to your system going without your pap, and the apenas you're having are raising cain on your body.
03-25-2015 10:08 AM
Evpraxia Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT for Her - Nasal Pillows System
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-17
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Cat Staff, bibliophile, love Classical & Byzantine music

Well, think of it this way: no XPAP treatment while sleeping equals micro-sleeping and constant micro-waking. Not a good sleeping situation.

Do keep in mind that using an XPAP at night or for "most" of you sleeping is not like taking medication that stays in the body x number of hours.

I try to think of it this way: Sleep Apnea is like having a foot that cannot be walked on (or a missing foot). While it is possible to limp or hop around as I go through my day it is going to be exhausting and will slow me down. But if I use a device, such as a walking cast, a cane or crutches, I can do much better and function well.

So, it follows that if I sleep without my XPAP (crutch, cane or walking cast) for part of the night or during a nap, the sleep will not be productive or restful and will (not "might" but WILL) damage my heart, brain and the rest of my body through lack of oxygen.

Result? I will use my XPAP ANYTIME I sleep.

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
03-25-2015 01:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
I wish I was able to do that.

About once a week I reach a state where I just fall asleep without it, which is probably due to lifelong habit (been on xPAP for 6 months). It's not that I say to myself "just let me rest my eyes for a moment", as much as it just happens and I don't think about it or make a conscious decision. I certainly intend to always sleep with the xPAP, and I am fine with that and comfortable with the mask. But it is almost as if my body is craving some non-xPAP sleep on occasion.

But this also usually also results in me needing to pee, so I am off the mask for a couple hours, wake to take care of business, then I'm back on for the rest of the night.

I'd like to solve this and never fall asleep without the mask, but it still keeps happening.
03-25-2015 04:18 PM
Evpraxia Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT for Her - Nasal Pillows System
CPAP Pressure: 7-17

Other Comments: Cat Staff, bibliophile, love Classical & Byzantine music

(03-25-2015 04:18 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:  I wish I was able to do that.

About once a week I reach a state where I just fall asleep without it, which is probably due to lifelong habit (been on xPAP for 6 months). It's not that I say to myself "just let me rest my eyes for a moment", as much as it just happens and I don't think about it or make a conscious decision.

I do understand - my hubby has been known to nap during the day without his APAP, thankfully he is usually in his recliner when he does this. I try to wake him up to move around & stay awake OR to put on his APAP but he doesn't always do either.

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
03-25-2015 05:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eviltim Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit F10
Humidifier: H5i heated humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 5 exhale/9 inhale

Other Comments:

Because apnea-riddled sleep is effectively like having a disease. It isn't very restorative at all. Chances are you felt like this before getting on treatment, it's just the drop is so much sharper going from well rested back to that.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 06:29 PM by eviltim.)
03-25-2015 06:28 PM
OpineCone Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10 Large
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 17

Other Comments: Mask straps spread widely to fit large head, worn under PureSom Ruby chinstrap for stability

(03-25-2015 01:16 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:  Well, think of it this way: no XPAP treatment while sleeping equals micro-sleeping and constant micro-waking. Not a good sleeping situation.

Do keep in mind that using an XPAP at night or for "most" of you sleeping is not like taking medication that stays in the body x number of hours.

I try to think of it this way: Sleep Apnea is like having a foot that cannot be walked on (or a missing foot). While it is possible to limp or hop around as I go through my day it is going to be exhausting and will slow me down. But if I use a device, such as a walking cast, a cane or crutches, I can do much better and function well.

So, it follows that if I sleep without my XPAP (crutch, cane or walking cast) for part of the night or during a nap, the sleep will not be productive or restful and will (not "might" but WILL) damage my heart, brain and the rest of my body through lack of oxygen.

Result? I will use my XPAP ANYTIME I sleep.

(03-25-2015 05:35 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:  
(03-25-2015 04:18 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:  I wish I was able to do that.

About once a week I reach a state where I just fall asleep without it, which is probably due to lifelong habit (been on xPAP for 6 months). It's not that I say to myself "just let me rest my eyes for a moment", as much as it just happens and I don't think about it or make a conscious decision.

I do understand - my hubby has been known to nap during the day without his APAP, thankfully he is usually in his recliner when he does this. I try to wake him up to move around & stay awake OR to put on his APAP but he doesn't always do either.

You did a great job of explaining why you always use your XPAP every time you sleep, and got me all motivated to do the same. But then you confused me by saying that "thankfully" your husband is usually in his recliner when he takes a daytime nap without his APAP. Is it less serious to sleep without an APAP in a recliner than lying on a bed? Or sitting on an upright chair? Or relaxing in a jacuzzi?
Or maybe you mean something more serious like while driving a car? Oh-jeez
03-26-2015 10:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Quote:...maybe you mean something more serious like while driving a car? Oh-jeez

Which brings up the old joke:

"If I'm going to die, I think it might be best to die in my sleep, like my uncle Lou did. Better than dying while screaming in terror like his passengers."

Ba-dump bump.
03-27-2015 12:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 505 12-06-2016 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  Falling Asleep During Day maisey 4 213 11-15-2016 07:08 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  starting to have a problem staying asleep bigcat 21 1,525 06-09-2016 06:12 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [CPAP] Apnea event as falling asleep impedes CPAP Cromwell 10 980 02-13-2016 01:29 PM
Last Post: Cromwell
  Difficulty Falling Asleep though Mask is Comfortable holden4th 24 2,350 02-01-2016 10:22 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Windpipe totally closing while falling asleep Lindz 8 898 01-10-2016 05:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does mouth breathing help eliminate teeth grinding when asleep? Diane1048 10 1,224 12-22-2015 03:36 PM
Last Post: Diane1048