Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

falling asleep without CPAP
falling asleep without CPAP
When I fall asleep without my pap, I feel really bad for several hours. I feel short of breath, nervous, nauseated, and tremulous for 3-4 hours. Is there anyone who can explain why I feel so bad for so long, and does anyone else have this kind of experience?
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: falling asleep without CPAP
I've felt the same way at times but not every time I fall asleep without cpap. I never could figure out a reason for this. It could be that you got a few hours of very bad sleep plus got hot under your covers. This for me has been the biggest reason for feeling that way but again not all the time just most.

Sorry for the long run on sentence and that I couldn't help you more. Sometimes things just are what they are sadly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 11:27 PM)ppowers Wrote: When I fall asleep without my pap, I feel really bad for several hours. I feel short of breath, nervous, nauseated, and tremulous for 3-4 hours. Is there anyone who can explain why I feel so bad for so long, and does anyone else have this kind of experience?
thanks

Hi ppowers,
I guess my question is: Why do you fall alsleep without your CPAP?
If you felt bad before CPAP Therapy, which I'm sure you did, or you wouldn't be on CPAP; then your certainly going to feel bad if you decide not to use it for any reason.
Don't take a nap without it, and don't travel without it. Those Apneas are going untreated if your not hooked up to CPAP.
You need to start thinking of your machine as a part of you.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would guess it's a shock to your system going without your pap, and the apenas you're having are raising cain on your body.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, think of it this way: no XPAP treatment while sleeping equals micro-sleeping and constant micro-waking. Not a good sleeping situation.

Do keep in mind that using an XPAP at night or for "most" of you sleeping is not like taking medication that stays in the body x number of hours.

I try to think of it this way: Sleep Apnea is like having a foot that cannot be walked on (or a missing foot). While it is possible to limp or hop around as I go through my day it is going to be exhausting and will slow me down. But if I use a device, such as a walking cast, a cane or crutches, I can do much better and function well.

So, it follows that if I sleep without my XPAP (crutch, cane or walking cast) for part of the night or during a nap, the sleep will not be productive or restful and will (not "might" but WILL) damage my heart, brain and the rest of my body through lack of oxygen.

Result? I will use my XPAP ANYTIME I sleep.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I was able to do that.

About once a week I reach a state where I just fall asleep without it, which is probably due to lifelong habit (been on xPAP for 6 months). It's not that I say to myself "just let me rest my eyes for a moment", as much as it just happens and I don't think about it or make a conscious decision. I certainly intend to always sleep with the xPAP, and I am fine with that and comfortable with the mask. But it is almost as if my body is craving some non-xPAP sleep on occasion.

But this also usually also results in me needing to pee, so I am off the mask for a couple hours, wake to take care of business, then I'm back on for the rest of the night.

I'd like to solve this and never fall asleep without the mask, but it still keeps happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2015, 04:18 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I wish I was able to do that.

About once a week I reach a state where I just fall asleep without it, which is probably due to lifelong habit (been on xPAP for 6 months). It's not that I say to myself "just let me rest my eyes for a moment", as much as it just happens and I don't think about it or make a conscious decision.

I do understand - my hubby has been known to nap during the day without his APAP, thankfully he is usually in his recliner when he does this. I try to wake him up to move around & stay awake OR to put on his APAP but he doesn't always do either.

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Because apnea-riddled sleep is effectively like having a disease. It isn't very restorative at all. Chances are you felt like this before getting on treatment, it's just the drop is so much sharper going from well rested back to that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2015, 01:16 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Well, think of it this way: no XPAP treatment while sleeping equals micro-sleeping and constant micro-waking. Not a good sleeping situation.

Do keep in mind that using an XPAP at night or for "most" of you sleeping is not like taking medication that stays in the body x number of hours.

I try to think of it this way: Sleep Apnea is like having a foot that cannot be walked on (or a missing foot). While it is possible to limp or hop around as I go through my day it is going to be exhausting and will slow me down. But if I use a device, such as a walking cast, a cane or crutches, I can do much better and function well.

So, it follows that if I sleep without my XPAP (crutch, cane or walking cast) for part of the night or during a nap, the sleep will not be productive or restful and will (not "might" but WILL) damage my heart, brain and the rest of my body through lack of oxygen.

Result? I will use my XPAP ANYTIME I sleep.

(03-25-2015, 05:35 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 04:18 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I wish I was able to do that.

About once a week I reach a state where I just fall asleep without it, which is probably due to lifelong habit (been on xPAP for 6 months). It's not that I say to myself "just let me rest my eyes for a moment", as much as it just happens and I don't think about it or make a conscious decision.

I do understand - my hubby has been known to nap during the day without his APAP, thankfully he is usually in his recliner when he does this. I try to wake him up to move around & stay awake OR to put on his APAP but he doesn't always do either.

You did a great job of explaining why you always use your XPAP every time you sleep, and got me all motivated to do the same. But then you confused me by saying that "thankfully" your husband is usually in his recliner when he takes a daytime nap without his APAP. Is it less serious to sleep without an APAP in a recliner than lying on a bed? Or sitting on an upright chair? Or relaxing in a jacuzzi?
Or maybe you mean something more serious like while driving a car? Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:...maybe you mean something more serious like while driving a car? Oh-jeez

Which brings up the old joke:

"If I'm going to die, I think it might be best to die in my sleep, like my uncle Lou did. Better than dying while screaming in terror like his passengers."

Ba-dump bump.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 165 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 139 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 397 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.