Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

falling asleep without CPAP
RE: falling asleep without CPAP
When I fall asleep without my mask on, I wake up feeling bad, and disappointed that I missed an opportunity to heal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently discovered that I can't go to sleep in a bed without the mask on. I can sleep in a chair, or airline seat, just fine - as long as the people around me don't mind the LOUD snoring!

But in bed, without the gear, I can not get to sleep . I tossed and turned for over an hour one night, until it sank in that I'd forgotten to don the headgear.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings OpineCone,

Sorry for the confusion. If someone is unable or unwilling to use an APAP then napping/sleeping somewhat upright is better than sleeping flat, at least for obstructive apnea.

Since my hubby has BOTH obstructive and central nervous apnea he should NOT be napping/sleeping without his APAP at all. However, hubby being hubby - there are times when he doesn't Think he will be napping/sleeping and resists my efforts to have him put on his mask/APAP. Frustrating for me, but hubby will be who he is.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 11:49 AM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings OpineCone,

Sorry for the confusion. If someone is unable or unwilling to use an APAP then napping/sleeping somewhat upright is better than sleeping flat, at least for obstructive apnea.

Since my hubby has BOTH obstructive and central nervous apnea he should NOT be napping/sleeping without his APAP at all. However, hubby being hubby - there are times when he doesn't Think he will be napping/sleeping and resists my efforts to have him put on his mask/APAP. Frustrating for me, but hubby will be who he is.

Yep my father had a very mild stroke awhile back and my mother and I had to force him to go to the ER. Some men just can't let others help them.

What can you do.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I nap on/in the bed I use my mask. Now that I said that. My recliner in the living room has some type of sleep inducing drug in it. If I sit it in too long, I tend to nod off for about 10 minutes. I have found that I can no longer sleep on an airplane when I fly commercial. Don't ask me why, but I just can't fall asleep any more.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally understand what Evpraxia means by sleeping in a recliner.
During the time that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and actually got a pap machine was aprox. 6 weeks! I was scared to fall asleep laying flat in my bed once I realized I stopped breathing over 33 time an hour! So for a little over a month, I slept in my recliner, as upright as I could get . I felt I would have less Apneas that way.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 09:11 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: If I nap on/in the bed I use my mask. Now that I said that. My recliner in the living room has some type of sleep inducing drug in it. If I sit it in too long, I tend to nod off for about 10 minutes. I have found that I can no longer sleep on an airplane when I fly commercial. Don't ask me why, but I just can't fall asleep any more.

Homer

I must have purchased mine from the same mfg you got yours from. Like you, lay down, put on mask. Not even comfortable if I don't do that.

Sit in my comfy chair? Mid-afternoon? Power nap -- 10-15 minutes and I'm good to go. No mask, but maybe a puppy or two.

Sit in my comfy chair & watch tv at night? Good for an hour, maybe two, then gone. Mrs. R_G usually sends me off to bed, but otherwise nap time until bedtime. No mask.

But basically sleeping in a chair for me at least mitigates my apnea sufficiently that Mrs. R_G does not find it necessary to whack me with the tv remote controller, so I guess all is well.

Could not, would not, won't not lay down without my cute little mask and machine however.

As to whether or not I should be taking power naps, falling asleep in front of the tv, or whatever? I'm an old guy. Old guys have earned it.
At least I don't nap while driving anymore. That's probably a good thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
At least you don't have to fight with a cat who wants to help you put your mask on. I've also got a cat that loves sleeping on my chest a few times a month. Keep in mind she is about seventeen pounds.Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
I have however found that two puppies licking your toes in the middle of the night can be a distraction.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 11:07 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I have however found that two puppies licking your toes in the middle of the night can be a distraction.

How about my childhood morning wakeup call. This was my cat coming inside the house after being outside in the cold and running into my room and crawling under my covers at my feet first while she is ice cold. This would startle me from sleep every single time even when I expected.

My parents would always laugh when they heard me wake up and would always ask me if I was awake honey. Not funny as a kid but now as an adult it was funny as heck.

Oh do I miss all of my cats over my life. Animals are the best ever even including the heartbreak that always must happen given how few years we have with them. I can say I've ALWAYS been happiest when I had a pet needing me and vice versa. I still believe that pets have calming and maybe even healing powers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,862 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 389 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.