Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

feeling dizzy from cpap
RE: feeling dizzy from cpap
It sounds like your having mouth leaks. This could account for both the humidifier being low and not getting enough oxygen. If your pressure is at 20cm but it's all going out your mouth your not getting enough oxygen into your lungs. You might want to check your leak rates on your machine just to make sure.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
i tried wearing without the mouthguard, one night i set it to 16-20, then 18-20 and finally 19-20.  at 19-20 i felt better the next day.  only problem with that setting is i get aerophagia, wake up burping up air.  any tips for that?  i got the best ahi results at 19-20, the aerophagia was an issue though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your charts on your first thread I noticed you have a lot of clustered events. This can be caused by tucking your chin in which cuts off your airway.

You might like to try a soft cervical collar which helps prevent chin tucking and also helps with mouth leaks.

There is a chance that if you can prevent the chin from cutting off the airway you'll need less pressure overall.

You can pick one up at any drug store or online for around $10 to $15.

It's worth a shot.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the dizziness; I'm a Meniere's Disease patient and have problems with my balance as a result.  This past September, I gave my old CPAP the boot and bought an Airsense Autoset 10.  The difference between the straight pressure CPAP and the new machine did literally mess with my head for over a week.  I was very dizzy, and attributed it to the change in pressure in my inner ears from the new CPAP.  I was either right, or full of baloney, but the dizziness mostly subsided to its normal level.
Post Reply Post Reply
i stopped wearing a mouthguard and the dizziness went away. without the mouthguard i need a pressure of 19-20 now to get ahi under 3. been feeling a little better, hope it improves. still very tired during the day. the aerophagia is slowly subsiding with each night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go back to your doctor and tell him how hard it is for you to be on 19/20 and what would he think about an auto bilevel/bipap. I think you are going to feel more comfortable at 15 exhale with a PS4cm to increase it to the 19 inhale, that is working for you now. With the auto, it will also work like an apap with more epr. It is well worth the effort, even if they want to titrate you, depending on out of pocket of course.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2017, 09:33 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Looking at your charts on your first thread I noticed you have a lot of clustered events. This can be caused by tucking your chin in which cuts off your airway.

You might like to try a soft cervical collar which helps prevent chin tucking and also helps with mouth leaks.

There is a chance that if you can prevent the chin from cutting off the airway you'll need less pressure overall.

You can pick one up at any drug store or online for around $10 to $15.

It's worth a shot.

i got the soft cervical collar, that worked well, thanks!  i set my machine back down to 16-20 with it, which got rid of the aerophagia issue.  did ok last night, hopefully feel better as days go on with this setup.  one improvement since cpap therapy has been my resting heartrate, despite having gained weight recently and not been working out - my resting heart rate has gone from "poor" to "above average" rating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your dizziness could also be caused by benign positional vertigo.  BPV develops when small crystals of calcium carbonate that are normally in another area of the ear break free and find their way to the semicircular canal in your inner ear. This causes your brain to receive confusing messages about your body’s position.  It wouldn't even surprise me to find that CPAP causes BPV.  

If that's it, there are simple positional exercises that you can do to remedy BPV.  In fact, I woke up this morning with BPV after using my CPAP all night and doing one round of the exercises (both sides) resolved it.  Use Google to search for Epley Maneuver and read the WebMD instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
where im at i can get my ahi down below 5 consistently. but im still baffled as to why ive felt so fatigued since i started therapy about 2months ago.

i wake up very tired, coffee doesnt do much about it. my hobby is writing, i typically write at least 300 words a day. that has slowed to almost nonexistent. im low energy, i often feel tired in the early evening so ill try to go to bed early. but i put the machine on and after about 1.5 hours its like the machine wakes me up again. then im up late until i eventually fall asleep.

is there something im missing? i started supplementing with vitamin d. i have an oximeter that says my heart rate and saturation is ok. but i feel like i havent had a decent nights sleep since i got the machine.

my doctor thinks it could be hormonal. before the machine i had no trouble falling asleep at night. im also generally a very passionate person about my hobbies like writing and creative endeavours. but i feel like my fires been sucked away. it sounds a bit dramatic, but its true!
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post a recent graph here?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 259 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 548 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.