Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

feels like I am suffocating
feels like I am suffocating
I have been using the Airfit P10 mask for about a month now and even though I can generally only keep it on for 2 - 3 hours, for the past week, I have been waking up after an hour feeling like I am suffocating. I did a search on this website to see if anyone else had this problem and most times, it was recommended to change the ramp. I turned it off with no relief. I have taken the mask and tubing and washed and dried it with also no change. I turned the humidity down too. Any other suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: feels like I am suffocating
Yes, fill out your profile, even if you are just trialing a machine. You can always change it later.

List the machine make and model, are you using CPAP or APAP?
What pressure is your machine set on?

If you have turned the ramp off and that didn't help, then it is likely that your pressure is set too low.

We have no way of knowing or helping you unless you can give us some information.

You can also download sleepyhead software, then we would be able to see your data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try using the next size larger nasal pillow. The sense of air restriction when using too small of a size is fairly common with the Airfit P10.

Do fill in a profile so if there are other clues, we can help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep I started out like you are now, no expert here and only under 60 days so YMMV

This is where I am at in this quest, just for an idea of things that can be changed:
1. Humidity off-I tried 4,5,6,3,2,1 to get to off
2. water tank dry-I tried with humidity off and just cool water in the tank and discovered that dry was best for now
3.ramp auto-I am sensitive to exhaling into pressure so I keep it low until I am asleep
4.pre-ramp pressure of 6- the default of 4 was way to low for me and I felt like I was not getting enough air. this was easy just set it and try it for 30-60 seconds, you will know.
5.ERP 3-this is in the clinicians menu and gives a lower pressure when I exhale

my therapy pressure is 8-14, FYI

the ramp has two parts: ramp time AND what pressure to set before the ramp starts.

Not getting enough air for me was one of several things: air too warm, humidity too high, pre-ramp of 4 being too low.

With knowing your settings we can comment on what might be effecting you, remember that for some their settings will be the exact opposite of mine. They need to be YOUR settings not someone else's.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I have to fill in all my information/settings. I finally did get a hold of my respiratory therapist who thinks I need a higher pressure. Will try that and if it doesn't work, will certainly try the other suggestions. Glad you are all here to help the newbies!
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending upon what machine you have it might be able to offer pressure relief when you exhale. My PR system One has 3 different settings for that. I felt like I was suffocating also until I set the relief to max on my machine.

Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lolewis,

At upper right of the webpage is a "My Profile" link we can use to find where we edit our profile.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 289 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 957 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question AHI down from 68 to 0.69 on my first night? Something feels off. nisegami 4 630 08-10-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] New to CPAP and struggling - feels like my breathing gets "cut off" by the machine andrewb 14 2,900 02-02-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: princejmy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.