Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ffm in mouth
ffm in mouth
Well, I am approaching the end of my first week with Quatro FX FFM.
Friday and Saturday night I developed a new problem. The mask shifts and the lower side winds up IN my mouth ( like a bit in a horses mouth). My AHI this morning was 11.24, about the worst I have seen in the 2+ years I have been on CPAP.
I have attached some data for those that know how to read and understand it better than I do.
HelpHelpHelp
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ffm in mouth
(04-28-2013, 01:52 PM)bwexler Wrote: Well, I am approaching the end of my first week with Quatro FX FFM.
Friday and Saturday night I developed a new problem. The mask shifts and the lower side winds up IN my mouth ( like a bit in a horses mouth). My AHI this morning was 11.24, about the worst I have seen in the 2+ years I have been on CPAP.
I have attached some data for those that know how to read and understand it better than I do.
HelpHelpHelp

Hi bwexler, welcome to the forum!

There is a fitting guide you can use to check whether your mask is too small. Fitting guide is here:

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/quattr...c=patients

Be sure that when you print out the fitting guide that the printer is told to print original size, and then check with a ruler that the printout is correctly scaled.

Sorry, do not see the data you attached. Maybe file size was too large?

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I insisted that the RT measure me before I received the FX mask.
He did not know what the official measuring device looked like, but when he pulled it out of the file (junk) drawer, I recognized it. We measured me as a perfect medium. I had watched the fitting video at Supplier #1, so I actully knew more about the proper process than the RT in this case.
The mask slowly slides up on the bridge of my nose over time, allowing the bottom of the mask to be in my mouth.
Perhaps i am not adjusting the head gear properly or my head just isn't the right shape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2013, 08:26 PM)bwexler Wrote: Perhaps i am not adjusting the head gear properly or my head just isn't the right shape.

I suppose you have already tried loosening the top straps very slightly, or tightening the bottom straps a little.

One thing I've found very important is to use soap to wash all oil from the mask daily, and to wash all oil from my face right before bed.

Also, I use RemZzzs mask liners, which help control leaks and I think would probably help keep the mask from sliding up, because you might not need to have the top straps as tight.

By the way, I don't like the design of the headgear for the Mirage Quattro FX, on me it tends to slip back and bother my ears, so on my to-do list is to try to modify a generic headgear to fit my Mirage Quattro FX.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you suffer from WOMS. (Wide Open Mouth Syndrome)
I don't think that eating your mask in your sleep is covered under warranty. Smile
Ok, enough jokes. Smile

Did you get that sealing surface totally squeaky clean and clear of grease/oils?
Then washing the area in the face that seals to the mask with Dawn dish soap usually works.
The mask should stay stuck to your face better that way.

If that doesn't work then maybe a change of mask model will help. Everyone does not have a standard face.

Cheers & good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Shastzi may have hit the nail on the head. I had problems at first with my mouth dropping open when I reached deep sleep. (Two weeks of a chin strap solved that.)
It would interesting to see your ResScan or Sleepyhead graphs. I bet your leaks were sky-high. This would explain the high number of events and the general poor quality of your sleep.
You don't say...do you sleep on your back, side or stomach? (I suspect stomach would be a bit difficult with the full face mask), but that or side sleeping could gently push the mask upwards as you sleep.
I was a life-long stomach sleeper, but realized early on that if I wanted optimum results from the therapy, I would probably have to learn to sleep on my back. That was darned difficult, but I've just about done it. I now sleep about six to seven hours without waking - on my back. It keeps the leaks to a minimum.
I would suggest nasal pillows (because I love 'em), but doubt that will work for you because it sounds like you sleep with your mouth open.
Post Reply Post Reply
wash well - a leeetle tighter on the bottom straps - a teensy bit looser on the top strap.
FYI - there is a plastic sizing gauge that comes attached in the plastic pack with the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2013, 02:40 PM)imfletch Wrote: Shastzi may have hit the nail on the head. I had problems at first with my mouth dropping open when I reached deep sleep. (Two weeks of a chin strap solved that.)
It would interesting to see your ResScan or Sleepyhead graphs. I bet your leaks were sky-high. This would explain the high number of events and the general poor quality of your sleep.
You don't say...do you sleep on your back, side or stomach? (I suspect stomach would be a bit difficult with the full face mask), but that or side sleeping could gently push the mask upwards as you sleep.
I was a life-long stomach sleeper, but realized early on that if I wanted optimum results from the therapy, I would probably have to learn to sleep on my back. That was darned difficult, but I've just about done it. I now sleep about six to seven hours without waking - on my back. It keeps the leaks to a minimum.
I would suggest nasal pillows (because I love 'em), but doubt that will work for you because it sounds like you sleep with your mouth open.

Yup. I got the open mouth issues big time.
I sleep ok on my side but sometimes would roll on my back and my AHI goes through the roof when I do that.
So I made a back pack I stuffed with 3 tubes of tennis balls. (still in the tubes) That way I have to sleep on one side or the other.
Smile
AHI is floating around 0.8 to 0.9 with a lot of trips down to 0.14
My leaks are near zero these days since I spend the extra time cleaning the sealing area daily. (what a drag...but it works!)
When I was getting a bad leak, it usually made so much noise it would wake me up with the THHLLLPPPP sound.
So...
The only leaks I get now are when I unseat the mask to scratch the nose or chase down some lint bouncing around inside the thing.
If I know I need to get up for a pit stop or something I just shut the system down. That helps the numbers a bit too.
Can't tolerate the nose thingie since my soft palate slams shut on the exhale phase and the drop open mouth looses pressure for me. ..Not cool at all.

I'm getting pretty good results of late though after all said and done.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 57 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.