Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

first couple of hours while awake
first couple of hours while awake
Just got a sleep study and assigned an APAP.

I had it on and running a couple hours while awake last night. I felt super spacey after breathing on it for a couple hours.

Does anyone know what that is about?

I ended up taking it off as I wasn't falling asleep. I can't afford to lose the sleep I do get until after a final exam Saturday, then I'll try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: first couple of hours while awake
forgot to say the spacey feeling lasted until noon the next day
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi plaidwandering!

Welcome
I was going to speculate that being conscious of your breathing could make you hyperventilate but it wouldn't last into the next day. An increase in your SpO2 levels can make you feel that way until your body normalizes to the higher level. . . again just guessing. If all else fails, contact your sleep doctor and see what his/her option is.

Good luck with your therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi plaidwandering.

Maybe you could define better what you mean by "spacey". Do you mean that you felt ill and unable to focus or concentrate and that it was sort of emanating from your head? (I know, that's very vague and weird.)

Judging from what people say on this forum, there is huge variability in how people react to starting CPAP therapy.

I had an intolerance for the plastic smell of the first mask that I tried. It made me feel sick and dizzy just from breathing the odor. So I'm wondering if you were talking about something like a reaction to plastic.

Did you use an APAP during your sleep study? (Not clear if you meant a diagnosing study or a titrating study.) If you used CPAP or APAP in your study, I was going to ask you to compare that to your APAP use at home.

If I think back to my first couple of weeks of CPAP use (in February), I wouldn't have wanted to take a test or anything like that. In many ways, I felt better, but there was just a lot of stuff going on with my body - I remember that suddenly I felt cold all the time, and my balance was a little bit off.

It's actually a shock to your system when you first start using xPAP therapy. Your body is suddenly getting enough oxygen all night and you aren't having nearly as many awakenings as you were before, so your sleep stages start a gradual shift back to a normal architecture (theroretically).

Some people say they feel better than before while this is going on while others may find that it's a real adjustment period for them.

So I guess the next time you use your APAP machine, let us know how it goes. This forum has lots of experienced xPAP users.

Welcome to the Apnea Board forum, and good luck on your exam.
Post Reply Post Reply
the spacey feeling is about the same as when I have taken a Percocet, very airy feeling with a slight bit more focusing required to concentrate on something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hm, interesting. Smile

I can see why you wouldn't want to take an exam feeling that way.

(04-28-2016, 05:09 PM)plaidwandering Wrote: the spacey feeling is about the same as when I have taken a Percocet, very airy feeling with a slight bit more focusing required to concentrate on something.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi plaidwandering,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 27 367 Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 239 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 209 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 427 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 659 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 263 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 475 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.