Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

first few nights on cpap
first few nights on cpap
well i finally got medicaid through the state that i live in and got my machine on Wednesday.
let me just say this i hate having to use the machine right now.
first off i cough uncontrollably about 20 minutes after the mask goes on and that makes me have to take the mask off and put it back on to redo the seal. anyone have any tips to stop the coughing? the machine i have has a heated humidifier so humidity is not the problem i think.
the other thing that bugs me is that i cant for the life of me fall asleep wearing the mask i have to be so tired i cant see straight before i can put the mask on and go to sleep. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you fix this if it can be fixed at all.

my data from the machine says that i only have an AHI of around 2.0 and i think that i pretty good someone correct me if i am wrong.
is a leak rate average over 3 days of 40 good or bad?

BTW machine is a Respironics System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P) and heated humidifer and the mask is a quattro fx full face

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: first few nights on cpap
Sit with the mask and machine on during the day. A half hour or so or longer if you can tolerate it. The idea is to get used to the sensation, the noise, the everything.

With the coughing, are you breathing through your nose or your mouth? If through the mouth, it might be drying out the throat before it has a chance to get humidity to you. Does the Respironics have a "warm up" option for the humidifier?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
HI acid1987,What Paula said.
I know you are having a rough time of it right now but I just encourage you to stick with it, don't give up.
Stick around for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you during this frustration with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
i am a mouth breather when i got to bed i dont know if the Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Pro with C-flex+ has a humidifier warm up feature. One other thing i heard that the humidifier has to be below the level of the mask to work is this correct cause if so this might be my problem
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 09:46 PM)acid1987 Wrote: ... One other thing i heard that the humidifier has to be below the level of the mask to work is this correct cause if so this might be my problem.

It is generally recommended to keep the hose vent from the machine lower than the hose as it snakes to your face. The purpose is to prevent rainout. Rainout is what we call it when the moisture in the heated air from the humidifier condenses on the inside wall of the hose. This happens because of that darn second law of thermodynamics - the wall of the hose is in contact with room air so the room air cools it down, causing condensation inside. As you sleep the condensation builds up until you are literally gurgling through the hose.

As long as the lowest part of the hose is the point where it comes out of the humidifier, the condensed water will just run back into the humidifier tank and there will be no buildup of water inside the hose. An alternative solution is to cover the hose with a fabric hose sock to insulate it from the room air. Or the ultimate solution is to use a heated hose, which is available for the newer machines.

I have always had my machine on the top of my bookshelf headboard, well above my head and all parts of the hose. I have yet to experience even a slight bit of rainout, in spite of the fact that I like my bedroom a bit on the cool side. I don't know why it's never a problem for me, but since it is not I am not going to worry about it.

In any event, having the machine higher than your head could not be causing the problems you are having. At this point you just need to slow down and not expect to come to grips with this thing immediately. I have been using my machine for eight months and I'm still getting used to it. It takes a lot of time and patience, although the benefits are worth it in the end. And Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine sits slightly higher than my head and I used to have a bad rainout issue. The gurgling would wake up the whole house but I got good at getting up, draining it, and going back to bed without really waking all the way up.

So, yes, the humidifier will still work.

They make these hose snuggie things but you can do the same thing by cutting the toes off of socks, sewing them together into a long tube, then slip over the hose. The idea is to keep the hose warm, preventing water from condensing inside.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 11:32 PM)JJJ Wrote: It is generally recommended to keep the hose vent from the machine lower than the hose as it snakes to your face. The purpose is to prevent rainout.

Sometimes it's easier said than done. The table my CPAP sits on is fairly parallel, maybe slightly higher than my sleeping position. That corresponds with what you said, But I've also read that I should be higher than the machine. I can only do so much.
I've conquered rainout by lowering the humidity level, and I've gotten approval for a heated hose so I should be that early in the new year which I've heard also helps eliminate the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Climateline completely eliminated rainout.

However, with the sudden cold snap, I now have rainout in my mask and the mask's hose. Sigh. The fun just never ends.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 12:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The Climateline completely eliminated rainout.

However, with the sudden cold snap, I now have rainout in my mask and the mask's hose. Sigh. The fun just never ends.

Hmm, with necessity being the mother of invention, I'm envisioning a sock cover for the short nasal pillow hose as well as a big furry mustache on the front of the pillow base to help keep the cold out. Not to mention how cool it would look!

DielaughingLaugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 452 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 453 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 374 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.