Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

first night taped. what happened?
first night taped. what happened?
I tried to tape my mouth for the first time to see what it would do. I expected things to be better but things got a lot worse.
not sure what happened.  I didn't have the micropore tape yet.  tried the tape I had in picture attached. Not 2 inch, but I overlapped the tape to have it close to 2 inches and brought it across right to left.

any ideas?  I attached both yesterday and the day before for comparison.
thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: first night taped. what happened?
Your leak rate dropped with the taping, so that's an improvement.

But due to "positional sleep" your AHI is higher. Look at the "clumps" of apnea on your chart. Your are sleeping in a position that would cause your chin to tuck into your chest.
This in turn cuts off your air supply. You are not being treated when that happens.

Take note of your sleeping position. Positional apnea can happen regardless if you are sleeping on your side or back. This can be rectified by using a "soft" cervical collar to keep your from chin tucking. Also, take a look at the pillow you use. It should be more on the thinner side, as tall pillows will push your head forward. You want your head and neck aligned properly.

The tape will help with the leaks, but not positional apnea.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have wondered if it may have been something like that.  I do have a soft cervical collar and was planning on trying it tonight to see.
I figured it would have caused obstructional apneas if I did tuck my chin.  I guess not necessarily?

Would the cervical collar be good enough or may not help unless the pillow also?
I do have some different pillow at home to try, including at least 1 CPAP pillow, but I find that hard and hurts me in other ways (CPAP Max pillow).

I have to sleep with a mouth guard from the dentist because I grind my teeth and find with a pillow too hard I get jaw pain at times.  Blah.
Ive heard people mention they had success with buckwheat filled pillows.  Might be something else to try.  My girlfriend laughs at me because I keep buying new pillows. None are ever right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Believe me, you're not alone. The "expense" of having sleep apnea doesn't stop with the machine and mask.

I managed to train myself not to mouth breath, so never used tape, but it looks like it will help you.

I've also tried Cpap pillows. Like anything else, they work for some but not everyone.
I felt like I was laying my head on a cement slab. Sad
Never used buckwheat pillows, but many swear by them.

What I find most comfortable are "down alternative" pillows. They are perfect for me.
I can pretty much mold it how I want and it doesn't change. Since I sleep on my side, I can tuck a corner of the pillow under my chin and that helps too. I'm sure you can find many threads on pillows.

Try the soft cervical collar and see how that works.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is good to know about the tape.  To see my numbers go from a 5 to a 10, I thought to myself it seemed like I made things much worse because of the tape.
That was my first instinct.  

I think I will try the cervical collar alone tonight as a test and based on that I may try both the collar and tape depending on how it seems.
I really would like to train myself to not need the tape also, but we will see about that.  I may need to try some new pillows to try and make that work.
Thanks for all your help.  Greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more trick: If you can master this technique, it will make a world of difference.
Although you wear a mouth guard, you can still practice this anytime during the day.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  (NOT PUSHING ON TEETH).
Gently suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if your mouth/jaw drops open while sleeping, no air will escape.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bleep Eclipse + Mouth taped = Leaks ? Daiseki 10 1,376 09-25-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Daiseki
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 859 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 357 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster
  Funky flow curve with taped mouth canadave 4 602 10-01-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: canadave
  What Happened at 3 a.m.? dhamments 9 928 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: dhamments

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.