Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

first time here [what other issues associated with Sleep Apnea?]
Grin 
first time here [what other issues associated with Sleep Apnea?]
hi, my name is Ryan - this is my first time here.

well I now have to fix this post since my earlier version of it was all boring cpap talk hahaahaa so now I am changing this post.

what other issues are connected with apnea?     I have other health issues but the only one I know that is connected is my being overweight?  my throat airway is that apnea problem.

I don't know what other things that I can do about my apnea except use my machine as I need to every night.

are there nutritional deficiencies that I can work on?  or foods I need to cut out of my diet?  thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: first time here [what other issues associated with Sleep Apnea?]
Alcohol before bed is a biggie.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try to limit your food and caffeine intake before bed.

There are several things that can affect Sleep Apnea. An out of whack thyroid, high blood pressure,
diabetes, and certainly vitamin deficiencies, like low Vitamin D, magnesium and others.

If your not sure, ask your doctor to order some simple bloodwork. He/She can then recommend.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2019, 07:43 PM)ProphetPX Wrote: I don't know what other things that I can do about my apnea except use my machine as I need to every night.

Yes, that's mainly it. Use it all night, every night. At first that might be difficult if it's uncomfortable. It's important to tune the machine's settings as necessary (you can get data from Sleepyhead using the SD card) and to use a mask that is comfortable and not leaky. The right mask is different for different people, and it takes some trial & error, experimenting with various ones and maybe among the three general types (nasal-pillows, nasal, full-face). Once you have the machine's settings correct to get your AHIs as low as possible, and a mask that you like, it's just a matter of time. It takes a while (weeks or months) from starting out to feel the full beneficial effects.

As mentioned earlier, alcohol, caffeine, other liquids, and foods can all affect your sleep and the performance of CPAP. Also prescription drugs. A good practice is not to drink or eat anything for some number of hours before bedtime. The chronic buildup of carbon dioxide in the body will give you acid stomach, possibly with gastric reflux, and it will make you need to urinate more during the night. Those symptoms should gradually fade away as your CPAP therapy progresses. If one or more of them doesn't fade after some weeks, then see your doctor at that time and get diagnosed, with all the usual blood & urine tests, etc.

You don't get the full benefits unless you use the machine & mask during every sleeping hour. And without the full benefits, the whole process of getting back to normal takes longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleeping hygiene is important, my room is pitch black and all light diodes from every equipment are covered with black electrical tape. There are no electronic devices besides the cpap and a night vision camera in my room. Doors are sounds proofed. And the icing on the cake I only use the room for sleeping, i go to the room at the same time and only reenter when I go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Several problems are notably worth investigating as comorbidities with over-weight and CPAP use. A relatively high number of males will test low for testosterone. Diabetes and hypertension is also more common in our cohort is more common than with thin individuals. Everything gets better with exercise and good sleep. Keep on CPAPing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2019, 10:12 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Several problems are notably worth investigating as comorbidities with over-weight and CPAP use.  A relatively high number of males will test low for testosterone.  Diabetes and hypertension is also more common in our cohort is more common than with thin individuals.  Everything gets better with exercise and good sleep.  Keep on CPAPing.

I'm thin with a 12 year old girl levels of testosterone. So there's definitely something going on with testosterone and sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chronic untreated sleep apnea can also cause heart damage, which should be visible in a heart ultrasound scan (echocardiogram).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 159 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 51 711 04-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 514 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 111 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 254 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.