Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

fixing open mouth
fixing open mouth
My cpap machine has actually made my sleep apnea worse. I finally got hold
of someone today. I gave it a couple of weeks. She said the air coming
out of machine is coming out of my mouth so i am not getting the proper
treatment. So i will go down thursday and get a chin strap

Please comment, thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: fixing open mouth
Sorry, but I've never heard of a machine making one's apnea worse. Apneas are created in the body, not in the machine. Since your profile shows a full face mask (which covers the mouth), it may be that mouth air leaks are happening because your open mouth while sleeping is breaking the mask's seal on your face, allowing air to leak from the mask.
Knowing your specific machine would help as would data from Sleepyhead software to pin down the nature of your leaks. The model of your S9 Resmed machine should appear just above the power button. Also knowing the pressure setting or pressure range of your machine would also help to i.d. what's going on more specifically.
About chin straps; they don't force your mouth closed, but the amount of pressure they apply is to hopefully suggest to your brain that you keep your mouth closed. They work for some, but not for everyone. However, it's definitely worth a try.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually there are several ways a PAP machine can cause Apneas to get worse, especially Centrals.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile.

Are you using an Auto CPAP?
What is the name of your mask?
What pressure is your machine set on?
What software are you using?

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
It is not uncommon for people to get worse b4 they get better when starting therapy-I did:Hammer
But don't give up, try the chin strap, there will be many more ideas that come form the forum, some will work and others-not so much
Cleaver
(04-26-2016, 06:29 PM)jxyzobrien Wrote: My cpap machine has actually made my sleep apnea worse.
Please comment, thanks
Vomit
Please follow Opalrose's advice and resister for the forum, post your info, and some data from your machine. She has helped many a lost soul. Dreaming
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 07:24 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile.

Are you using an Auto CPAP?
What is the name of your mask?
What pressure is your machine set on?
What software are you using?

I switched to nasal mask. woke up gasping for breadth with full one.
Machine does not give much info. Except ramp time and humidity
info

I will see if info in doctors notes.

Resmed autoset s9 positive airway pressure device
don't know software or pressure

(04-26-2016, 08:15 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Welcome
It is not uncommon for people to get worse b4 they get better when starting therapy-I did:Hammer
But don't give up, try the chin strap, there will be many more ideas that come form the forum, some will work and others-not so much
Cleaver
(04-26-2016, 06:29 PM)jxyzobrien Wrote: My cpap machine has actually made my sleep apnea worse.
Please comment, thanks
Vomit
Please follow Opalrose's advice and resister for the forum, post your info, and some data from your machine. She has helped many a lost soul. Dreaming
I switched to nasal mask. woke up gasping for breadth with full one.
Machine does not give much info. Except ramp time and humidity
info

I will see if info in doctors notes.

Resmed autoset s9 positive airway pressure device
don't know software or pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
jxyz, since your machine has the word Autoset printed above its on/off button, that means it is fully data capable (collects all sorts of detailed info during the night), and it can operate either within a range of pressures (APAP mode) or with a fixed, single pressure (CPAP mode). Info available here on Apneaboard can tell you how to access data such as the pressure or pressure range your machine is set to (as well as how to change it), what's happening with leaks, and the list goes on. That's why it has been suggested that you install Sleepyhead software to view and post some of the data being collected by the machine. One of the many settings available is to inform the machine what type of mask you are using (nasal, full face, etc).
You have a machine that provides data helpful for forum members to help you solve therapy problems and adjust to using it and gaining the desired benefits; that's all good news.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 03:29 PM)Dawei Wrote: jxyz, since your machine has the word Autoset printed above its on/off button, that means it is fully data capable (collects all sorts of detailed info during the night), and it can operate either within a range of pressures (APAP mode) or with a fixed, single pressure (CPAP mode). Info available here on Apneaboard can tell you how to access data such as the pressure or pressure range your machine is set to (as well as how to change it), what's happening with leaks, and the list goes on. That's why it has been suggested that you install Sleepyhead software to view and post some of the data being collected by the machine. One of the many settings available is to inform the machine what type of mask you are using (nasal, full face, etc).
You have a machine that provides data helpful for forum members to help you solve therapy problems and adjust to using it and gaining the desired benefits; that's all good news.

David

still learning will do chin strap. will then see. had real problems with
face mask. doctors next week. thanks for answering
i apprecate help

Post Reply Post Reply
jxyzo, there is a link to Sleepyhead a the top of this forum page. Just install it, in a computer that can read SD cards, and you can begin to understand whether your problems are leak related, or are a form of apnea that may actually be caused by the machine. This forum is all about learning to help yourself. To do that, you have to use the information that is available to you. Even the screen information on your machine will summarize mask fit and AHI. What are you seeing?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that using a sticky lip ointment helped me keep my mouth "glued" shut - and you wake up with soft lips :-). It helps me tremendously as I use the nasal pillow. The nights I ran out of the lip stuff, I woke up with dry mouth and feeling sick all morning. When I use the lip ointment, I wake up with a fully moist mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 73 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 63 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 788 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 617 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 200 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 335 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.