Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

fixing your clock
fixing your clock
Because I use data from my fitbit along with OSCAR, I find it more convenient to keep the clocks on my cpap and pulse-ox correct. It occurs to me that it's not totally obvious how to do that. It also occurs to me that others might have figured out something easier, in which case you should chime in!

Here's my process:

The first thing that you need is a clock which is ticking in seconds. I have an iPhone and there's a clock with a sweeping second hand on it. For you kids who can't read a clock face that's not digital, your computer has time and you can set it to show seconds.* I actually use a website https:/time.is on my phone as the numbers are big and it's digital.

Ok, once you have the clock running where you can see it, go to your cpap clock setting. (ResMed engineers are obviously complete MORONS when it comes to clocks. Oh-jeez The machine has a cell phone modem in it, and it "phones home" each day. While it's busy tattling on you for the terrible crime of taking your mask off briefly while ignoring all of its own failures to control your SDB, it never bothers to ask the computer on the other side "hey, dude, what time is it?" AND they put the clock setting on the clinical menu like it's some super-duper expert concern) Once you have the setting open, look at your clock and compare it to what date and time your machine thinks it is. If the current time is right before the hour is going to change -- i.e. it's something:58 or something:59 -- wait for the hour to roll over before adjusting. If you are doing this around midnight and the cpap clock shows not only the wrong time but the wrong date -- wait until it's after midnight AND the clock shows the right DATE before changing anything!!! -- on a ResMed machine, at least, it's really easy to end up setting the clock to right before midnight the next day and then you are screwed and it will take two days to get your date fixed because of how the ResMed machine treats noon vs midnight -- it will not let you "set the date to the past."
Been There Done That Got The Tshirt.

Once you are at the clock setting line on the screen at a good time safely away from midnight or the top of any hour, start your time adjusting. Select the minute, roll the knob to the value one minute past the current minute, watch your clock count through the seconds. When you get past something:50, get ready. As the second ticks through :59 to :00, click the knob quickly to set the time exactly to the new minute. If it's right, you can watch the clock and as it changes to the next minute then your cpap clock should roll over at the same time.

Once your cpap clock is set to the right time to the second, you can repeat the process with any other devices (pulse-ox in my case) which don't have accurate clocks in them.

Then when using OSCAR you can just tell it not to worry about clock drift as you've got it under control Big Grin

If anyone else has a simpler way to keep clocks right, do tell!

*(old tech support tip: always set your computer to show seconds on the clock display. That way, when your computer seems non-responsive, you can glance down at the clock and see what the clock is doing. If you see the seconds frozen or stuttering as opposed to counting up evenly, then that means that the computer as a whole is struggling to keep up, as opposed to the program you are running or the website you are looking at or the network. Oftentimes this is some background process that's grabbing lots of system resources but will be finished in a minute or two, and your first reaction should be to see if you can wait it out and it goes away quickly. Because if you keep hammering on the button you are trying to push, or whatever else you are doing in your computer interaction, then it's just going to make whatever the computer is doing take longer. But, anyway, your computer clock should always show seconds.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: fixing your clock
I can't add anything but a Too-funny about the kids that can't read an analog clock. Worse is the fact that it's true.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2021, 09:23 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I can't add anything but a  Too-funny about the kids that can't read an analog clock. Worse is the fact that it's true.

I'm a girl scout leader, and our troop meets in a church hall. There is a giant quite decorative analog clock on the wall. The girls keep asking me what time it is! And when I say something like "it's a quarter to four" they say "c'mon what's the time?"

(They can't read cursive, either.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad.

I've got an analog watch still.

Wonder what these kids would do with a Rand McNally roadmap? I'm sure they can't refold it.

Sorry for off topic. I'll get you a free virtual coffee. Drink it before you try to sleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do find it very annoying that I can no longer see seconds on the iPhone's native digital clock.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2021, 10:24 AM)fstrife Wrote: I do find it very annoying that I can no longer see seconds on the iPhone's native digital clock.

What I find annoying is that when I bring up the Clock app that's behind the tiny clock face the times don't show seconds! (Or maybe I'm an idiot and haven't figured out how to get it to show the seconds on the digital display...) That's why I use https://time.is

Hey, I may not be able to see, but I can read an analog clock, read and write cursive, and drive a stick shift!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's what my Android phone has for status bar clock in it's menu

[Image: bsgUoU9.jpg]

And it results in this

[Image: 1dYoQ74.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2021, 10:37 AM)cathyf Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 10:24 AM)fstrife Wrote: I do find it very annoying that I can no longer see seconds on the iPhone's native digital clock.

What I find annoying is that when I bring up the Clock app that's behind the tiny clock face the times don't show seconds! (Or maybe I'm an idiot and haven't figured out how to get it to show the seconds on the digital display...) That's why I use https://time.is

Hey, I may not be able to see, but I can read an analog clock, read and write cursive, and drive a stick shift!

Right, I can understand not showing seconds in the top bar due to space constraints, but to not be able show it in the clock app is terrible.  I think they removed it a few generations ago.
I downloaded a third party app just to see the seconds!
I might try time.is, but am not sure if it would be as accurate as the time on the device that has been synchronized over the cell network.
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding is that cell phones are not anywhere near accurate to the nearest second. This has something to do with the way the data is downloaded from GPS satellites. I realize this doesn't matter for purposes of synchronizing a CPAP machine with an oximeter. As long as they read the same time, you're okay. But it may be the reason cell phones tend to not show the seconds.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2021, 12:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote: My understanding is that cell phones are not anywhere near accurate to the nearest second. This has something to do with the way the data is downloaded from GPS satellites. I realize this doesn't matter for purposes of synchronizing a CPAP machine with an oximeter. As long as they read the same time, you're okay. But it may be the reason cell phones tend to not show the seconds.

My husband is a physicist who studies cosmic ray production in lightning. His detectors collect data for weather, measure radiation, etc. All outside in the weather! He uses GPS chips for the clock. They are very low power and accurate.

The https://time.is is synchronized to the atomic clock in Colorado, and is certainly good to the second.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 103 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Syncing Airsense 10 clock IAXEM 0 108 03-06-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Fixing Flow Limits esleepie 11 518 02-24-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Fixing AirSense10 Air Noise BNB1023 6 2,266 11-01-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] AirSense 11 clock sync? rpierce 4 575 08-25-2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Millstone50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.