Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Repeated awakenings on CPAP (every 1-3 hours)
RE: Repeated awakenings on CPAP (every 1-3 hours)
I would suggest you should try to get use to the pressure by wearing the Cpap while awake, watching tv or reading a book. If you can get use to the pressure you may make it easier sleeping. A number of new users have said this is helpful.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Many thanks again for your help and apologies for the long delay. I have since gotten used to an 8.0 minimum (on both full face and pillows). It mostly works fine, though once in a while I end up swallowing a lot of air.
I continue to wake up frequently, however. This is much worse with the full face mask – see the attached from last night, where I gave up and slept without around 4am. Sleep with pillows (i.e. when my nose is not/less blocked) is a lot better – see attached from 3 May – but still waking.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I began CPAP, I also had issues with higher pressure than 5, but at some point I've adjusted to starting pressure from 7 - 9. It looks like you are waking up as the pressure has ramped up to a certain level. I personally would experiment with fixed pressure in the range from 8-9, but it sounds like you cannot tolerate such pressure level at this time?

This maybe an issue for you and people that are new to therapy. Being used to certain level of pressure. I think it takes time to adjust. I would raise minimum pressure in increments. Go with 6 for a week, and then 7 the next week, and so on...

My hypothesis is that pressure fluctuations wakes certain people. I had issues with multiple waking at night until I went with fixed pressure.

If you have nasal congestion issues. It's best to have the air temp at a higher level, about 80 F or so to retain the humidity. Having good humidity is important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CorruptAlligator,

Thanks for this. Perhaps that's worth a try. I have had it fixed at 8 starting and 11-12 max for some time, and have been able to tolerate it. (For many years I had 4 minimum, before various people on this thread suggested raising it). I assumed that the peaks were not the problem given that I seem mainly to wake up when I've come down from a peak, rather than at a peak itself. Still, worth a try, and as you say it could be the fluctuation that's the problem. Hadn't occurred to me. Will adjust to 7 - 9 and see how it goes.

My air temp is at the max (30 C, over here), but it only helps so much – especially at the moment, during hayfever period. Maddening as my sleep is a lot better (even if still fragmented) with pillows.

Many thanks again,

Pisceo
Post Reply Post Reply
No dice, I'm afraid: still not getting more than an hour (normally around 40 minutes) with the full face mask. The attached is full face mask up till 5.20am, when my congestion cleared enough to use the pillows. AHI is also up. I simply can't understand why I am waking up so much with the full face mask and can't find any obvious correlations. Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Update: I've managed to improve the FFM situation by (i) removing the humidifier and (ii) widening the range to 7.6-12. I was frequently waking up with the mask full of condensation or saliva, and running it dry seems to have helped (despite the fact that the humidifier works much better for nasal). I also noticed I was frequently awaking after hitting the 9 limit in the previous post, and giving it more space seems to have helped.

Still waking up after a few hours on pillows and every hour or two on full face (see last night – pillows till 4.45am, then full face). Any further thoughts much appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Get a cheap webcam like a eufy or wyze and film yourself sleeping. Maybe you can spot something that happens to wake you up like a light coming through a window or a position change.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 471 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 492 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Consistently Waking Up After 3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 528 01-11-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.