Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

flat topped flow rate
flat topped flow rate
I saw some unusual flat topped flow graphs that I do not recall seeing before. 

close up

this is what my breathing normally looks like

Any ideas on what is going on.

Thanks, car54
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: flat topped flow rate
Here is a picture of the whole night

Post Reply Post Reply
The flat-topped inspiratory waves are flow limitation, and you can see they are clearly higher when these events occur at 22:00 and notice your pressure is at the maximum setting. This event and one at 00:15 end in a cluster of RERA. Flow limitation can arise from upper airway restriction that may be related to nasal congestion and airway inflammation from colds or allergies. If this condition is not common for you, then a course of Flonase (Flucisone Propionate) may help. If this is a common problem, then bilevel therapy to provide more pressure support can help replace respiratory effort to overcome the flow limitation. This is of course very disruptive to sleep, and causes a significant reduction in the amount of air you can take in.

Let's start with a discussion of how frequently this occurs. Have you tried increasing the maximum pressure setting of your machine? Focus on your flow limit chart and see how often you see this much flow limit. Your median FL is 0.1, 95% at 0.40. I try to help members keep the median at 0.00 and the 95% below 0.10, and expect there will be problems and discomfort when those goals are not met.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,
 Now that I know what I am looking for I do see more occasions of it.

Right now my life is in limbo. I just had a shoulder replacement and I sleep most of the time on my back. Normally I sleep on my side. I am not on any narcotics that would affect it. I am very surprised that I don't see more clusters of apneas and hypopneas.

I have lowered my pressure from 15 because  the pressure would increase in response to the flow limitations causing leakage which affects my sleep.

I would say that flow limitations are a problem for me and I have bought and tried and a vpap (aircurve) on my own but since going on medicare they will only allow a airsense . My doctor is not bothered by any of my charts(which he doesn't look at) because my numbers are good.  I am on a 13 month rent to own on the airsense with 5 months left. After that I will probably switch to the aircurve.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, here is hoping the shoulder heals quickly. Flow limitation can only be treated effectively with pressure support, and higher pressure is of minimal value. You are already using the full 3-cm of EPR that you have available with the Autoset. Your doctor is lazy or doesn't care, and just doesn't want to do the necessary documentation to justify bilevel. On the other hand your awareness of the problem and ability to document it in your results could make a big difference. If you still have the machine in your profile, then I would suggest you return to that and we can optimize again. Nothing says "I don't tolerate CPAP" better than returning the CPAP machine and using your own. I recommend you seriously consider the costs to you of a 13 month rental and consider simply buying out of pocket a used machine from Supplier #2 ($799) or other source for even less. I get full coverage on machines and would still decline a downgrade after using the Vauto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
car54,
Glad you clarified that... I was just about to question why your profile showed a VAuto, but your using an AutoSet.

I used to put the blame on Medicare, but I really believe that it's the Doctor's responsibility to send the proper documentation to Medicare.  Some don't want to be bothered because they feel it will be denied.  

I switched to a used VAuto in January on my own. (Borrowed from a friend).
I documented my progress and a comparison to my previous machine which was a 60 serious Apap.  
I copied charts, told my doctor that I was sleeping better, waking up less and generally had better readings.  My doc couldn't argue with the results when I saw him recently.  I told him I wasn't going back to the Auto machine, and I was counting on him to get it approved by Medicare for a new VAuto, otherwise, I'll just bypass insurance and buy a used one on my own.  
Medicare denied it 6 months ago, and just this week after doctor resubmitted another request, I received approval for a new VAuto.

I don't want to hyjack your thread, my point here is to keep hounding your doc, document your progress and print out graphs.  Don't give up on what you know will work best.

And praying for a speeding recovery with your shoulder surgery.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dr. Do Very Little strikes again. Me would replace him with a doc that cares for the patient and not the dollar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a used Vauto with 1510 hours in the Iowacity Craigslist in Washington IA, post id: 7150497110 $350.00
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I just purchased from Supplier #2, I am on my 3rd night with the VAUTO. MY results are startling BETTER. GREAT experience with supplier. My machine had 285 hours (one month) usage. Paid 799 no shipping or tax charged. Highly recommended!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the used Bilevel machine work out for your therapy? Curious if this was fully resolved since I have similar data/issues. I'm actually about to engage with a new sleep doctor in about 2 hours because my existing one was only concerned with the AHI number and ignored everything else I said about being really tired every day.

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.