Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

flow rate pattern and high respiratory rate
flow rate pattern and high respiratory rate
Hi all

I seem to often have this pattern flow rate, which seems to correlate to high respiratory rate. I think that's because sometimes the flow is crossing over zero and back several times before the "real" inhalation. Any thoughts on what is going on here or if this is something everyone sees in their breathing? Not sure if those waves are at the end of breathing out or the start of breathing in?

For background I get better AHI numbers when my pressure is lower, if I go higher I start getting CA and more what has been called CO2 driven breathing in this post : over 100 days in to therapy, seeking feedback | Apnea Board

I've been digging into the Oscar data as while I'm wayyyy better than pre CPAP (started mid march) I don't often wake up "refreshed" despite reasonable AHI numbers. I got plenty of good advice in the first post linked above, now I'm looking for specific comment on what this flow rate wave form means with the high recorded respiratory rate. And if it doesn't mean anything than even better. Smile They aren't flagged by the machine at all. 

This wave form and increased respiratory rate seems more pronounced at the lower pressure. 

thanks
Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: flow rate pattern and high respiratory rate
full night view

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: flow rate pattern and high respiratory rate
The Resmed incorrectly counts the above zero stuff as breaths, thus the increase in respiratory rate. This is part of your expiration cycle, why it crosses above zero in this wave form, I am not sure. Likely cardio ballistic oscillations, maybe some expiratory flow limit or some other finding like expiration flutter or other form of leak. At the end of last one, 5 seconds in, there seems to be some FOT probing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 226 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 23 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.