Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

for my Airsense10 how do you best get proper humidity control?
for my Airsense10 how do you best get proper humidity control?
I am having trouble in getting the proper setting for the humidifier in my AirSense 10. I either get dry mouth or a mouthful of saliva, both of which awaken me during the night. I've tried their auto settings and some of my attempts. Any ideas, please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: for my Airsense10 how do you best get proper humidity control?
Hi Jpapnea,
I use my Airsense 10 Autoset w/ Climateline hose on full automatic.  I have occasionally noticed a dry mouth on awakening, but I know I sometimes am mouth-breathing.  The usual symptom of too much humidity is rainout, and I have never seen that with the A10.  However, I have only used the A10 since May 1, so no cold weather experience yet.

Good luck with your issue.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity does not affect over production of saliva, and usually leaks are the cause of excess dryness. It may not be your humidity control. I think if you have been making setting changes and experience these opposite results, it would be a good idea to keep a journal of your settings and outcomes, then decide if there is a pattern you can use to make a decision. I use fully manual settings with humidity at 3 or 4, and temperature at 75-80 with higher warmer settings in winter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity control on the 10 series can be described as somewhat 'clunky'. That's because there's actually no control over the humidity, but over the temperature of the heater and the 'assumed' temp of the hose. There's no humidity sensor anywhere so everything is more or less 'assumed' and approximated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2020, 08:22 AM)ardenum Wrote: Humidity control on the 10 series can be described as somewhat 'clunky'. That's because there's actually no control over the humidity, but over the temperature of the heater and the 'assumed' temp of the hose. There's no humidity sensor anywhere so everything is more or less 'assumed' and approximated.

There is a temp sensor at the mask end of the heated hose so the air temperature at the mask can be measured and based on the temp the relative humidity calculated
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2020, 04:32 PM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 08:22 AM)ardenum Wrote: Humidity control on the 10 series can be described as somewhat 'clunky'. That's because there's actually no control over the humidity, but over the temperature of the heater and the 'assumed' temp of the hose. There's no humidity sensor anywhere so everything is more or less 'assumed' and approximated.

There is a temp sensor at the mask end of the heated hose so the air temperature at the mask can be measured and based on the temp the relative humidity calculated

How does that work? Maths pls.
Post Reply Post Reply
Measuring the temperature at the tube outlet makes it far more sophisticated than my old F&P Icon. But I still agree that it is "clunky".

If your mouth is open, the air goes in your nose and out your mouth. You do not get the increased pressure where you need it. You are not getting any CPAP benefit. The high flow rate does not allow enough time for the air to absorb water and increase the humidity. With such a high flow rate, you would need close to 100% humidity to prevent a dry mouth.

Search the forum for dry mouth or mouth breathing. You need tape or a chin strap or some way to keep your mouth shut.
Post Reply Post Reply
"You need tape or a chin strap or some way to keep your mouth shut." How often have I heard those words...from me own mother! (sob!).

back on topic: maybe try...gasp! a mask like the Resmed Airfit F30. I loved my P10, but my mouth leaks got the better of me; and I don't get along with taping. Soooo, the F30 allows for therapy when mouth breathing. But it's a half mask sort of thing.

I have the Airsense as well and went with Auto humidifier and a heated hose. On Auto, rainout is non-existent for me so far.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 969 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,164 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 373 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,010 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.