Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

forced air causing mask leak.
forced air causing mask leak.
I am continuing to try to set up my used res med S9 auto so I can send my PR back for warranty repairs.

I pretty much gave up on auto settings as I was just having to many arousals no matter how I set the machine. Now I am sleeping pretty well and ahi is back down but. ..

Since putting the machine on CPAP mode it seems that the inspiration pressure is very jerky. I have to breath in slow, smooth inhalations our the machine jumps the air in jerks. ( this is difficult to follow up on while asleep). This added pressure, or should I say intermittent jerky pressure is causing my mask seal to break an I am back to the old days of fighting with my mask all night.

Can you suggest a menu setting that will smooth out the ipap so it is less jerky? Has anyone had this before also? My pressure is 12.5 and EPR is 3. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: forced air causing mask leak.
(08-20-2014, 06:20 PM)twdc33 Wrote: Can you suggest a menu setting that will smooth out the ipap so it is less jerky? Has anyone had this before also? My pressure is 12.5 and EPR is 3. Thank you.
Have you reported the "jerky breathing" to your doctor?
Lower EPR or turn off and see how does it feel
EPR is comfort feature, some use it and some don,t

Post Reply Post Reply
I have not reported the jerky breathing to t the doctor. It has only been since changing the res med from auto to CPAP. It was not an issue with the Phillips. Nor the res med on auto. I will try your advice and change our drop the epr.
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider also that when you were using AutoSet you were generally getting a lower pressure when you were awake. Now you have the maximum press right from the start and using EPR at the 3 setting makes it critical of your particular breathing pattern when awake.

If you chose your pressure setting from what you saw as the maximum when using AutoSet, you might want to set it a tad lower for straight CPAP. Perhaps 11 might work and set the EPR to 2. If that works for the chugging you are getting, then you can bump the pressure back up slowly, if need be, and see where the problem begins.

That's the beauty of AutoSet, you dodge a whole bunch of issues about pressure since you rarely are awake when the high pressure is applied.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk and Surfie got this TW. Lower the EPR setting and the jerky stuff should go away. Probably 2 will do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
how does one change the epr on the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 09:08 AM)Clementine Wrote: how does one change the epr on the machine?

You do not have EPR on your VPAP Auto. For your machine, the rough equivalent of EPR is the switch from IPAP to EPAP. The difference in those two pressures is PS. So, your PS setting is roughly equivalent to EPR.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
ah, I see. My PS is set at 4. I really haven't noticed the problem of "jerky" breathing; just other problems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 189 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 325 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,508 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,254 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 396 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,470 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.