Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

forgot to lock sd card on windows 8
RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8
I do that as well.

SDCard into my computer's integrated reader (HP Envy 17) and nothing has ever happened to the unlocked card.

At least 40-50 times I have done this in the last 38 days. I probably locked it once or twice the first week, but had already forgotten after the first time so never bothered again.

One time, I saw the machine reject the card -- I popped it out, shove it back in and the machine read it just fine.

It was a machine or card issue and nothing to do with Windows.

There is no conceivable reason that the machine SHOULD be excited by a few extra files (although anything is possible it would be an outrageous bug in the machine software.)

The guy talking about the Wifi SD Card (in another thread) reports putting the software for the card back onto the card after letting the machine format it.

The volume label on the card is "ResMed" and it wouldn't suprise me a bit if that, the more Identification.tgt, STR.edf (and their associated CRC files), as well as the two directories SETTINGS and DATALOG are all the machine cares about besides a FAT32 volume.

BTW: The CRC files are likely the "cyclic redundancy check" files to make sure the two top level files are not corrupted.

The Identification.tgt basically identifies the machine by series, model, serial number(s), etc.::

#VRN 20122342513

#VPC 36888

#VID 0001

#SRN 23121884164

#SID SX474-0905

#RID 0064

#PNA S9_AutoSet

#PCD 36005

#PCB 607159228050698

#MID 001A

#FGT 21_S9_ASET_EPR

#BID SX525-0300
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Herbm: check to see if your windows installation is writing the hidden "System Volume Information" folder at the root of the drive.... Maybe MS fixed this in Windows 8.1?
Post Reply Post Reply
No the System Volume Information directory is not present.

FYI: I check for hidden files and directories by default, along with always viewing file extensions -- I don't like my machine hiding things FROM ME.

Theoretically they COULD have fixed something like this with 8.1 (which is part of the reason for my always being explicit about the version.)

Windows 7 (and at least Vista before it) also used that System Volume Information folder.

I just checked Windows 2003 (server) which is CLOSE to Windows XP and it has the folder too (thought so but wanted to be sure before saying it.)

Also, they usually have a "RECYCLER" directory that is essentially the Recycle Bin, but that likely doesn't show up until something is deleted using Windows Explorer or another program that uses that same API (e.g., NOT the command line tools.)

It actually makes little sense that Resmed can't use the card if there are EXTRA files OR directories present.

I would understand if something changed the volume LABEL or removed or changed those files at the root or the directories where the data and settings are stored.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 11:06 PM)herbm Wrote: No the System Volume Information directory is not present.

The OP said that the hidden "System Volume Information" directory was created and the reason that the S9 tried to reformat the card. That directory is created/used by one thing: Microsoft Windows operating systems.

From the link that justMongo posted (in comment #5) it appears the directory is related to Windows System Restore feature.

Since we don't know the exact combinations of Windows versions and Card readers to know why this problems happens to them, and not to you: it is best to just recommend to people to lock their SD cards before using it in the PC.

I'm glad the OP was able to abort the S9's format process and seek the expertise of a Linux hacker to fix the problem (manually delete the hidden "System Volume Information" directory at the root of the SD-card).
Post Reply Post Reply
You could easily delete that directory from Windows as well. It doesn't take Linux or any sort of (real) hacker to do that.

The main reason for pointing out that it hasn't happened to me is to learn WHAT is happening under what circumstances.

Perhaps it is happening due to running the built in backup program (or the Volume Shadow Copy service which uses that directory)....?????

Perhaps it is an Explorer thing.

It doesn't seem to be merely due to inserting the card into a Windows OS with nothing else going on.

(It also doesn't explain why the machine gets upset. An EXTRA item on the card shouldn't really be a deal, much less a big deal.)

And if the only thing it takes to FIX the problem is to delete the extra stuff, we should just explain to people how to do that from right there in Windows, and even how to see the problem before it manifests.

Telling people to "lock the card" is all well and good, but anyone who checks this daily is SOONER or LATER going to forget.

I did; and that's how I found out that it wasn't happening to my card automatically.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the posts.It is windows 8.1 and the card reader is built into the computer. Thanks to the guidance of this board before even starting to do downloads, I always unplug the S9 ,eject SD card , LOCK it ,then download data , unlock card, reinsert card, plug in S9, reads card , no problem .Detailed data intact.
This time, the only thing different was I forgot to lock the card. System volume Information directory created.Apparently it was a problem for the S9 at least in this instance. I'll do my best to remember next time.
I'll let you know how next download goes( detailed data intact?) .
You all have way more computer savvy than I .
Thanks for all the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
You REALLY don't need to unplug the S9.

I would turn it off because it is still writing at that point.

I turn it off, push the info to see the AHI and that gives it time to finish writing.

Even unplugging it while it was writing might be VERY BAD.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 11:52 AM)3porpoise Wrote: I always unplug the S9 ,eject SD card , LOCK it ,then download data , unlock card, reinsert card, plug in S9, reads card , no problem .Detailed data intact.
Don,t do what I do, do what they say Coffee
Removing the card
Before removing the card, instruct the patient to disconnect the S9 device from the power outlet.
To remove the card, instruct the patient to:
1. Push in the SD card to release it.
2. Remove the card.
3. Insert the card into the protective folder.
4. Send the protective folder back to you as instructed.

Inserting the card
1. Remove the card from the protective folder.
2. Push the card into the S9 device until it clicks.
3. The following message is briefly displayed: Reading SD card

Post Reply Post Reply
So just did the download and all the detailed data still intact.Success.So last weekend when my friend found ,identified ,and deleted the hidden System Volume Information file in directory, it solved the issue.
Plan on remembering to lock from here on out, but just in case ,nice to know there's a back up in order to save detailed data when you need it.
Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2014, 04:59 PM)herbm Wrote: I do that as well.

SDCard into my computer's integrated reader (HP Envy 17) and nothing has ever happened to the unlocked card.

At least 40-50 times I have done this in the last 38 days. I probably locked it once or twice the first week, but had already forgotten after the first time so never bothered again.

You probably have somehow gotten "system restore" turned off for that card in Win 8.1. You can have "system restore" enabled for each "disk" in windows. Apparently Win 8.1 changed something with the default on this.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Importing Wellue Data Efficiently on Windows spudhorse 5 489 12-19-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  What to do when I forgot to reinsert SD card MichaelLMiller 12 3,509 02-25-2023, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 922 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResScan problem reading SD card on Windows 10 PC jeffparker 11 1,310 09-09-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: GavinG
  Forgot to slide the write-enable tab on the SD card AGAIN! cathyf 2 619 07-03-2022, 09:35 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  Forgot the name of sleep apnea doctor and hospital sanemonk1 1 597 04-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.