Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air full face mask
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Sad frequent awakenings
I was diagnosed with idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea over 2 1/2 years ago. I am using a Bipap with Auto SV Advanced machine. I'm still struggling to get proper sleep. One problem I have is that if and when I do sleep, I wake up every 30 - 75 minutes during the night, every night. I've been through 4 sleep neurologists and the DME provider and cannot get any answers. All of the above seem to circumvent my problem as if they don't have an answer. Does anyone have any thoughts on my sleep situation ?

Thanks,
Dreamless
02-16-2015 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

RE: frequent awakenings
Well I wake up about three to four times a night, with the need to urinate. Like you my diagnosis was Central Apnea. I am definitely feeling better after a month on my APAP machine with supplemental oxygen, but it doesn't seem to have affected my frequency of awakening to pee.

My AHI's are nice and low though, usually under 1 and twice I clocked in at zero.

The way I figure it I've had apnea damaging my body for quite a few years, and assuming I am now able to sleep without that particular burden, still my 70 year old body is gong to take time to undo all those years of damage wholly or partly.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
02-16-2015 05:03 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(02-16-2015 04:07 PM)Dreamless Wrote:  I was diagnosed with idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea over 2 1/2 years ago. I am using a Bipap with Auto SV Advanced machine. I'm still struggling to get proper sleep. One problem I have is that if and when I do sleep, I wake up every 30 - 75 minutes during the night, every night. I've been through 4 sleep neurologists and the DME provider and cannot get any answers. All of the above seem to circumvent my problem as if they don't have an answer. Does anyone have any thoughts on my sleep situation ?

Thanks,
Dreamless

These are very complex problems to work through when complex apnea is involved. The best way to get a handle on what is going on is to learn to use the Sleepyhead software, and get involved in understanding what is working, and not working in your therapy. There are some very well informed members on this forum who can guide your discover and maybe help. It's not medical advise, but you might find what you're looking for.

Sleepyhead software is here: http://sleepfiles.com/SH/index.html?TestingVersions

If you want to post the graphs on the forum, use this tutorial: https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

02-16-2015 05:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TheManseHen Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: RedMed A10 Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: One that came with machine
CPAP Pressure: 7.6-14.0 EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Started C-pap Boxing Day 2014. Tortured sleep more or less since 2000. Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sex: Female

Hi Dreamless,
I don't have any answers, Definitely learn to study your own data if possible. Have you been able to have any other causes of the wakings ruled out? Bladder/kidney/prostate for instance? Would you be a candidate for urinary hormone medication (Desmopressin) to reduce your urinary volume at night? (this medicine has a lot of restrictions/side effects/contraindications etc, but it might be worth speaking to a urologist about) I.e having done all you can (minus reading your data) to get what is going on with you apnea wise, might you be able to fight the battle Nocturia/polyuria wise? Apnea's trigger a whole system to create the end result of nocturia polyuria, In your case it sounds like treating the apnea as best you can, is not treating the nocturia/polyuria. (you may have the first without the second, but my guess is you have both, is your urine yellow or clearer at night and a lot volume wise? if so likely polyuria too) More studies are being done recently to asses the safely of using desmopressin at night to treat the nocturia/polyuria symptoms regardless of cause. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3021813/ (I assume you are not elderly, but this is just one of several)

Mainly I wanted to say, as someone who has spent years with that kind of waking torture, I am so sorry. It is really hard. You are doing amazing to keep up with any of your duties, relationships etc. It is like sludging through mud. I expect very few in your world understand this and it has to be hard to hear from other apneacs, that "yup got the machine and I'm a new person" while you press on.

God Bless you dude. Keep on keeping on. I have no doubt you are doing your body good, even though it doesn't give you any satisfaction sleep wise. Keep being a squeeky wheel.

The Manse Hen
A feather ruffler for her own health!
02-16-2015 05:36 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I agree with Sleeprider. HuhsignBig Grin It sounds, offhand, like your machine may not be set up optimally for you. There are a number of members who have successfully worked their way through the use of ASVs to treat centrals and obstructive apnea effectively. In order to give you any suggestions they will need to see what is happening with your current therapeutic settings. It is also a good idea for you to see these things.

Sleepyhead is a good piece of software for doing just that and it is free. There is also a good tutorial on this board for sleepyhead. If you get involved with the board and continuing posting you will soon be able to post your Sleepyhead charts on the board where some knowledgeable folks will be able to make some suggestions for you.

Stick with it. It will be worth it in the end.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
02-16-2015 05:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

(02-16-2015 04:07 PM)Dreamless Wrote:  I was diagnosed with idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea over 2 1/2 years ago. I am using a Bipap with Auto SV Advanced machine. I'm still struggling to get proper sleep. One problem I have is that if and when I do sleep, I wake up every 30 - 75 minutes during the night, every night. I've been through 4 sleep neurologists and the DME provider and cannot get any answers. All of the above seem to circumvent my problem as if they don't have an answer. Does anyone have any thoughts on my sleep situation ?

Thanks,
Dreamless

Hi Dreamless,
If you have been on Bipap for 2 1/2 years, and still wake up that much during the night; then it may be time to search out another doctor. You probably need a complete work up to rule out any other issues. Aside from that, is the machine you are using fully data capable? Does it have an SD card that your can download to the Sleepyhead software.. With this information to look at, your questions may be better answered. Do you know your AHI numbers, and have any of the sleep neurologists asked to see the reports? Even your DME should have been able to download from your machine and send the information to your doctor.
I know it must be frustrating for you not to have any answers, people on this forum really care and will help you if they can.
OpalRose

OpalRose
02-16-2015 06:00 PM
Dreamless Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics Bipap ASV advanced Model #1042906
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air full face mask
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

Thank you ALL so much for replying !!! I am using a Respironics Bipap ASV Advanced machine with a smartcard and don't have the Infineer smartcard reader (for downloading the data from the card to computer), which I was told is the only card reader that will work with the Respironics machine. I am planning to get one though - - I have been informed that unfortunately it will only work with Encore software. I do have the Encore software downloaded already so its just a matter of getting the Infineer cable/reader.

Again, Thank you.
Dreamless
02-17-2015 05:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
3porpoise Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: epap 5 PS 3-8
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: the world hasn't always been flat

Sex: Undisclosed

Thanks,
Dreamless

Hi Dreamless,
While you are waiting for your card reader, my suggestion would be to get into the habit of keeping a journal beside your bed ( I learned that from this site , it gave more clues), and when you wake up each time,write down the time and reason if you know ie bathroom ? dreaming just before ? mask leaking? back sleeping? whatever you notice etc etc and when you start downloading data ,you can crosscheck to glean any info , in addition to all the other info you'll get.
At some point it may be helpful to request copies of your original and titration sleep studies full 5-7 page results, as there's other info in them,plus copies of those 4 sleep neurologists medical notes and copy of DME file , which you may find informative.
Good luck.
02-18-2015 09:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  frequent urination during apnea duece12345 9 459 10-24-2016 12:13 PM
Last Post: duece12345
  Definition of "awakenings and arousals" shewhorn 3 523 02-20-2016 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dawei
Question [Pressure] Pressure tics and awakenings, plus the 90% question Ailu 31 4,355 07-25-2015 06:09 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Are OSA's more frequent/worse when sleeping on your back? ellen1159 6 2,039 08-01-2013 08:51 AM
Last Post: Don in Austin
  Has CPAP helped with nightmares and "harsh awakenings"? Paptillian 9 2,453 06-18-2013 09:29 PM
Last Post: Paptillian