Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

frequent urination during apnea
frequent urination during apnea
pre-CPAP and occasionally when I knock the mask off, I wake up to pee numerous times throughout the night. I also seem to wake up in the middle of vivid dreams. As I have adapted to the mask, i only getup 1x to pee. Is this something apnea will cause or is this more anxiety? Anyone else have this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: frequent urination during apnea
Yes, it was this that led to my diagnosis, apparently, the apnea prevents sufficiently deep sleep to 'turn off' the kidneys, hence bladder fills up frequently, once under control, kidneys 'turn off' and bingo, less peeing!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Nocturia is a common side-effect of sleep apnea, and is usually greatly reduced with CPAP treatment. Many people go from getting up several times a night to sleeping through. It's almost diagnostic of sleep disturbance or apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another possibility is that you may have some renal or circulatory impairment and when you are horizontal, the kidneys may be more able to work, plus not sleeping well lets you wake up to take care of it. If you note any swelling of the legs, and/or that you seldom urinate during the day, please discuss this with your physician.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thank you for the replies
Post Reply Post Reply
I found this a few years ago.
" Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. "Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood becomes more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict," says Umlauf. "The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia."

I can't post the link to the complete article but if you want it, send me a private message.
Post Reply Post Reply
Non-commercial links to academic and medical references will not get you in trouble on the forum. http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/270119.pdf or https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14573376

Just avoid the dot com stuff, especially where sales of things are involved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2016, 04:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Non-commercial links to academic and medical references will not get you in trouble on the forum. http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/270119.pdf or https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14573376

The site in question does not appear to be a commercial site. It does not offer products or services. It does have a .com suffix.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2016, 11:58 AM)Clay L Wrote:
(10-23-2016, 04:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Non-commercial links to academic and medical references will not get you in trouble on the forum. http://www.journalsleep.org/Articles/270119.pdf or https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14573376

The site in question does not appear to be a commercial site. It does not offer products or services. It does have a .com suffix.

When in doubt, send a PM to Supersleeper or one of the mods. Can't go wrong with what they advise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I have already figured that out! Great stuff on this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 358 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 696 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,692 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Does anyone else find that urination causes their SPO2 to drop? Sleepy Willy 7 905 08-10-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  [Treatment] Mouth Leaks and Frequent Awakenings MileyCyrax 1 570 08-10-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: MileyCyrax

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.