Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

full face mask question
full face mask question
I am using the f&p simplus with a mask liner that covers my mouth. I still have
my machine set for FullFace Mask. Does anyone see a problem with this?
THANKS.

I have been waiting all summer to get approval from my insurance company to
trial a bipap. One question i have is whether for some people a higher pressure could increase the obstructive apneas and/or
hypopneas? Still trying to understand what is going on ...
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: full face mask question
I see your pressure is set rather high and would ask what position you sleep in. If you're a back sleeper, I recommend trying side sleeping for a while and seeing if you can lower the pressure down to a level that mask leaks will not be a problem. Using a full face mask with a liner tends to minimize the leakage indicators since the liner has a diffusing effect on leaks and you tend to ignore them easier. They can still cause problems with the therapy though and it would be nice if they can be lowered.

Generally the higher pressures will have a tendency to increase your central apnea events. If that level of pressure is necessary to properly control your obstructive apnea events, all's well and good. The point is, it's best to operate at the lowest pressure that gives you control of your obstructive events but set your maximum allowable pressure about 10% above that level.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surferdude2,
Thanks for your response.
I am sleeping on my side with a heavy duty back pack on so I don't roll over. I have come to the conclusion that I need a higher pressure (probably higher than 20) to keep my airway open. It is what it is.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 05:53 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: I am using the f&p simplus with a mask liner that covers my mouth. I still have
my machine set for FullFace Mask. Does anyone see a problem with this?
THANKS.

I have been waiting all summer to get approval from my insurance company to
trial a bipap. One question i have is whether for some people a higher pressure could increase the obstructive apneas and/or
hypopneas? Still trying to understand what is going on ...

Since your mask is FF, then you should be set to FFM in the machine.
The machine needs to know so that it can estimate intentional leak rate through the vents. It may also need to know to correctly score an apnea by type using the FOT method. Different mask types may reflect the FOT oscillation in a different way.

Mask liner over the mouth; or closing the mouth, it's still a FFM.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,597 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.