Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

full face mask
full face mask
i am new to this forum, i started using my cpap last night for the first time, the machine was quiet, but i noticed everytime i breath in , it sounds like the machine is breathing in too, its very annoying, i called where i purchased it and was told it was the mask, i know i'll get a lot of different opinions on this, but could i get recomendations for a really good full face mask, i have heard good things about the amara view, could i please get some direction, thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: full face mask
Welcome! And Relax! Big Grin

There is going to be new sounds, quiet as they are, and air blowing, and new sensations. Give your self time to accept and acclimatize.

I have doubts it is the mask. That would be a rushing air sound near your face. The machines have a blower (fancy fan) in them that attempts to maintain specific pressures. When you breathe in, it has to run faster to keep the pressure up. When you exhale it will run slower. If you listen for it, you can hear it. The sounds can be emphasized if the hose is touching your head. Earplugs can also help if you are very sound sensitive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mousetrap351,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones if you need to.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, good luck to you in finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello mousetrap351, welcome to the forum.

It can take a while to get used to the CPAP running beside you. My wife was bothered by the noise more than me at first. We turned our ceiling fan onto high for white noise. After a while the sound of the CPAP became our white noise and the ceiling fan went back to being, well, just a ceiling fan. Sometimes when I wake up at night now, I have to pull my mask away from my face to see if the machine is still running. Hang in there. It just takes a while to get used to all of the new things associated with CPAP.

Best of luck with your treatment,
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I switch between my Simplus FFM and my Nuance pillows mask. I have noticed sound differences.

With the Simplus, the mask is quiet but the machine is noisy. I hear it changing as I breathe.

With the Nuance, the machine is quiet but the mask is noisy.

Like everyone has said, give it time. You will notice everything that is different at first and sounds are the most prominent due to we are used to quiet bedrooms.

When the machine is too noisy for me (and really, it isn't that bad it's more like I'm overly sensitive and cranky), I put instrumental music on a sleep timer. Or put the pillow over my head. I've gotten rather fond of my "sleep cave". LOL
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2016, 03:09 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: When the machine is too noisy for me (and really, it isn't that bad it's more like I'm overly sensitive and cranky), I put instrumental music on a sleep timer. Or put the pillow over my head. I've gotten rather fond of my "sleep cave". LOL

Does this mean that you use your sleep cave a lot?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

With Respect,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I do. That pillow muffles a lot of sound. Like another person snoring. And the fish tank I keep forgetting to top off. And the silly birds that like to chirp so freakin' cheerfully so freakin' early in the freakin' morning. All of which make me cranky. We don't want Paula cranky, do we? Nope.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Birds. Hate them! Grin Ours are crows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.